Military Equipment Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

axmaxwell

So I'm starting this post for anyone who has military related questions.

My Credentials:
USN Seabee
Coastal Riverine
Defensive combat operations (DCO) qualified
Expeditionary combat skills (ECS) qualified
8 months attached to 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit
M9, M16/M4, M203, M60, M240, M2HB qualified
civilian weapons instructor

Countries Travelled:
Australia
Timor Leste
Bahrain
Kuwait
Saudi Arabia
Jordan
Hong Kong
Spain
Sicily
Crete

Favorite weapon: Fire Axe

most people are in cover or in the best from of cover they can find. I would know I've got a book on it.

oh and something I read said urban combat once the ground level is cleared you blow the second floor to clear it... wouldn't it be safer to just bang and clear with frag's?

Do soldiers actually have grenades all lined up in a belt on their chest in open fire?

Not anymore. I've seen photos from Nam' with it like that. Normally there is at least one guy in a squad with an M203 grenade launcher mounted to his rifle with a pouch holding a number of different 40mm shells (similar to the M-319 rounds from Reach).

and Fox, idk where you are reading that, but if its not the most up to date version of a Army, Marines, Air Force, or Navy field/tech manual, its probably untrue. We always hit rooms with a flash unless its a known machine gun nest.

Not anymore. I've seen photos from Nam' with it like that. Normally there is at least one guy in a squad with an M203 grenade launcher mounted to his rifle with a pouch holding a number of different 40mm shells (similar to the M-319 rounds from Reach).

and Fox, idk where you are reading that, but if its not the most up to date version of a Army, Marines, Air Force, or Navy field/tech manual, its probably untrue. We always hit rooms with a flash unless its a known machine gun nest.

I've got it from the encyclopedia of combat techniques from 2002 so it's a little out of date but, most of it still works.

So, neither of you combat gurus want to answer my question?

Sorry I missed it. I've been on guardmount the last 36 hours. I'm not sure what you mean by point shooting, so I'll give you two answers.

At super close range, we are taught to flip safety at the beginning of the draw and if they are within 5 feet fire the first round as soon as the pistol is level with the target. Subsequent shots are made after the weapon is in the users Natural Point of Aim. We always teach shooting under stress to reinforce the fact that when you are really ramped up you might not always be able to use your sights. Heavy rain shooting is one of the situations where sights are almost useless. at 100 yards in daylight you can hit steel with an M4, but in heavy rain its piss impossible to use the irons.

As for middle finger control... I hope you don't mean using your middle finger on the trigger... that's a big no no, especially for pistols.

Maybe with a little clarity I can give you a better answer.

Was that video supposed to be an example? Because the shooter is not using his middle finger on the trigger. Color me confused.

well I don't know what to say to this... I only know one good way to use the middle finger and it's to make the other guy mad, and dumb. plus I'm still not finding anything in my book, unless it's for firing techniques which is what it looked like, plus it had marksmanship mixed into it.

The wiki article explains it. In the early 19th century using the middle finger for the trigger, and laying the index finger along the pistol, to in essence point at the target. This was modified later to a stance creating a triangle focused in the front. Actually using your middle finger to pull the trigger is no longer taught. The wiki article you cited explains that in detail.

I don't tend to trust Wiki articles, hence my original question.
Wikipedia requires sources now. If you ever question the authenticity of a sentence, check at the bottom of the page to view the source.

We learned point shooting at combat school, but it is not something taught at boot camp. Specialized combat skills are not taught to everyone anymore. It is very specific to your deployments and missions what skills you are allowed to learn.

The enemy of all equipment is terrain. M16/M4's, M60's, M240/249's, and even M2HB's will become useless if exposed to enough sand. IMO the best peice of military equipment is:
On person: Kabar knife
In general: MTVR Wrecker truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back