Halo AK-47????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lockon13

Hey you guys ever think about what a halo version of the AK-47 you know something that the intuitionists would use in stead of the M5s

Well, they'd probably actually be carrying a close derivative of an AK.

In Pakistan, the local blacksmiths still build copies of rifles from the 1880's, as well as anything up to fairly modern stuff like AK variants and M4's.

It's way easier to keep building something that you already know a lot about, than to create something new. The UNSC is using guns that really aren't that far ahead of our own technology, so there's no reason for insurrectionists to go too far out of their way.

I get that but you can clearly tell that the M5s are the m4s of the halo universe and the AK isn't going anywhere any time soon. So it makes sence to me that someone would somewhere be using an AK over the M5

Actually there is a youtube video of a guy with a prototype MA-5 in .22LR, I'd link you to it but I dont have youtube access on my work computer. The gun is completely feasible. Just look at the IWI Tavor or FN 2000 assault rifles. Granted they are chambered for 5.56x45NATO the basics are still there. All that would need to be done is enlarge the barrel and receiver parts to accept the 7.62x51NATO (.308WIN) round that the MA-5 take.

FN2000_Typhoon4.jpg

GWLE_Tavor_556_two-page-9722-copy.jpg

Attachments

• FN2000_Typhoon4.jpg
    FN2000_Typhoon4.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 611
Why would anybody in the 26th century use a 500-plus-year-old gun, durable or not?

It assumes that no-one between now and the time of Halo will come up with a better version of a cheap to make, reliable assault rifle, which is kind of hard to believe.

Why would anybody in the 26th century use a 500-plus-year-old gun, durable or not?

It assumes that no-one between now and the time of Halo will come up with a better version of a cheap to make, reliable assault rifle, which is kind of hard to believe.

Actually no it's not. We still use a lot of technology now that was invented a long time ago. Pulley, compass, bottles, glass and boats to name a few. Boats get fancier but the basic design is the same... same for guns, they get fancier but the concept is still the same. The Ak-47 has been heralded as one of the best all around firearms, as well as the most durable and versatile. It really has not changed much. Now if we are talking about a change in amo, yes I see your point but if they are still firing the same sorts of rounds, then this is not a far fetched idea.

We still use a lot of technology now that was invented a long time ago. Pulley, compass, bottles, glass and boats to name a few. Boats get fancier but the basic design is the same... same for guns, they get fancier but the concept is still the same. The Ak-47 has been heralded as one of the best all around firearms, as well as the most durable and versatile. It really has not changed much.

You forgot to mention the wheel. :)

My point is that, while you could use a 500-year-old gun in combat today (an arquebus, for example) which may still do the job it was intended for, why would you?

Look at one modern firearm example, the Kriss Vector. Yes, the technology in use is similar to the first guns, but the bolt design has advanced to lessen recoil while still using a large caliber round. It is compact, easy to use, easy to maintain and tough.

While I agree that the AK is a fine design, and that people are still using its feature on modern guns, this is 500 years we're talking about. I wouldn't trust my life to a 500-year-old boat design if I didn't absolutely have to. The same is true for a 500-year-old gun.

My sniper rifle is 84 years old. It will still be functional when it is 284. The simple fact is there are 75 MILLION AK-47's, not including the more than 25 million of the modern variants, there are 15+ million Mosin Nagant bolt action rifles, which are still being used by middle-eastern snipers against Coalition troops in Iraq/Afghanistan.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Why alter something that's works? Sure the rounds will change, probably to tungsten or titanium, but every weapon system is the same, pull trigger, round goes bang, thats it, the only way the rifle it's self will really change is if we stop using rounds and go to electric based weaponry I.E. Plasma/phaser w/e otherwise nothing is working more efficiently and cheaply then a bullet from a gun. Sure the outside will change maybe the actions might change and as new materials become available the guns may change but it still be the same. Pull trigger. Bang. Rounds down range.

There is only one small problem I can see with this. Unless people hand-load rounds, it might be enough to blow the housing apart.

In the military, I got the wild hair to try and see the difference between a .223 Remington and a 5.56x45mm NATO. Both rounds appear identical in all ways (aside from stamping). But, the appearance is the only thing they are alike in.

I attempted to fire a .223 Remington round out of an M4 Carbine. The round fell short of the target. It didn't even hit it, to be exact. I set up a roll of butcher paper and found that at 100 meters, the round impacted about 1 meter from the target. I chalked it up to differences in the gas system and the propulsion of the round through the military rifle.

I then attempted to fire a 5.56x45mm NATO out of a Remington hunting rifle. All I can say is wow. I deadlined the rifle. I hit the target (a little off, but I blame the buck of the rifle). The barrel made like a banana and there was close to a foot of flame that shot out the front of the rifle. After an hour of looking, I couldn't find my flash suppressor.

About 50 years ago, the .223 was used by the military. Today, we use the 5.56x45mm NATO. On the older rifle, the newer round practically blew it apart with one shot. Fast forward 500 years and what kind of load are we talking? A standard round of ammunition may be enough to blow apart even an AK-47.

The simple fact is there are 75 MILLION AK-47's, not including the more than 25 million of the modern variants, there are 15+ million Mosin Nagant bolt action rifles, which are still being used by middle-eastern snipers against Coalition troops in Iraq/Afghanistan.

Over 20 million VW beetles were made during their production run. Over 900 million Big Macs are sold every year. Millions of people watch Gossip Girl...

Again, just because something works now, is in use all over the world now, is considered a good thing now, it doesn't mean that it will be thought of in the same way in 500 years... And if it does, AK using, VW Beetle driving, Big Mac eating, Gossip Girl watching insurrectionist would certainly be a force to be feared. :)

But hey, if you guys think the AK (47, 74, 102, 12, etc.) will still be chugging along in the future, that's your opinion. Personally, if I were living in the 26th century and needed an old weapon to use, I'd choose an M14. Better range, better round, more accurate, more suited to a trained soldier.

Over 20 million VW beetles were made during their production run. Over 900 million Big Macs are sold every year. Millions of people watch Gossip Girl...

Again, just because something works now, is in use all over the world now, is considered a good thing now, it doesn't mean that it will be thought of in the same way in 500 years... And if it does, AK using, VW Beetle driving, Big Mac eating, Gossip Girl watching insurrectionist would certainly be a force to be feared. :)

But hey, if you guys think the AK (47, 74, 102, 12, etc.) will still be chugging along in the future, that's your opinion. Personally, if I were living in the 26th century and needed an old weapon to use, I'd choose an M14. Better range, better round, more accurate, more suited to a trained soldier.

You can't really compare an M14 to an AK47. An Ak47 is meant to be cheap, easy to learn, and practically indestructible in bad conditions. An M14 is more accurate and reliable. one is an assault riffle, the other is a battle riffle. That is apples to oranges.

Unless they change to a different type of Ammo like plasma, you are not going to have the classics going anywhere. Now IF we are talking about space, that is a whole 'nother matter. The Ak47 is already over 60 years old. Compare that to the fact it only took us 38 years from first flight to put a man on the moon. Really, it is going to depend on where we are and the application of the item. If we get to a point where we move away from gunpowder rounds, the future will not look to hot for any weapon that uses them but I think they will still be around. It is a matter of preference. Some people like all the bells and whistles, i like my car with manual locks and windows because while all that tech stuff breaks down, I get to just smile and keep driving. No matter how technologically advanced we get, in most instances, the reliability is with the vintage simple stuff.

If you think about it, the MA-5 Series is a spiritual successor to the M14. In fact you can pretty much turn a M14/M1A into a bullpup system like and MA-5 with the Juggernaut Tactical Rogue Chassis conversion.
3.jpg

I think the only major differences would be in the materials the gun is made of. It would have to be designed to withstand the various environments in space and on different planets. There are some things where you would want to leave a chunk of metal inside to cause as much pain as possible and others where you want the target to be completely vaporized.

There are some things where you would want to leave a chunk of metal inside to cause as much pain as possible and others where you want the target to be completely vaporized.

Along with Jason-078's background into .223/5.56x45mm, the 5.56 is is designed to tumble after entering the body, maximizing damage to tissues and organs.

Ok now that I've felt the general mood on this topic I need to make a version of the AK that would be in the Halo universe
QUICKLY TO THE MODLEING FOURMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back