Two cyborg ninja (Satchmo III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satchmo III

Greetings all. Although this isn't a Halo-related build I thought there might be some interest by way of these forums for this project.

INTRODUCTION

I've been a fan of the Metal Gear Solid series since the original came out for the PlayStation. I'm looking forward to the upcoming MGS5 and have recently replayed through most of the series thanks to the Legacy Collection (which ports and/or updates most of the entries for play on the PS3). In the first and second games the cyborg ninja are mysterious and skilled. They're definitely one of the coolest parts of these games and, I think, hold a special place in the hearts and minds of most MGS fans.

This thread will follow the build-out of two cyborg ninja helmets from the series. One being the helmet worn by Olga Gurlukovich (semi-spoiler) in Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and the other being the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance iteration of the helmet worn by Gray Fox in Metal Gear Solid. For simplicity sake I will refer to the helmets as shown below.

(Cyborg ninja from Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty) = (Olga).
(Cyborg ninja from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance) = (GF).

The work for this build will generally follow the stages below. Once the helmets are completed I may craft one of the associated suits or a mixture of each (they're relatively similar) and a high-frequency blade.

1. Model development.
2. Paper assembly of PDO models.
3. Hardening of paper with resin/rondo.
4. Shaping and detailing.
5. Painting and finishing.
6. Molding and casting.

I'd like to thank Diegator who has a great Gray Fox build log at the RPF and Darkside501st, also of the RPF, for providing the basis of the GF model. And thank you, reader, for your interest. Please post if you have any questions or comments along the way, unless asked for I won't go into great detail on specific processes in this thread.

At the time of this first post I've already completed the first few stages of the build. Details concerning these stages are contained in the following posts.

STAGE #1: MODEL DEVELOPMENT SUMMARY

I began the Olga helmet by gathering reference photos from MGS2/the internet and then used Blender to create the model. During this process I discovered the Metal Gear Rising (which I have not played) iteration of the Gray Fox cyborg ninja helmet and decided it'd be cool to work up the two helmets together. I found Darkside501st's model rip/modification of this helmet which I simplified and restructured for this build.

I won't get in to the details but below are some images of the final Olga and GF models used for this build and a sample of the reference imagery used to prepare them. If you're interested in checking out or using the PDO files for these models please visit my portfolio thread (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/32448-Model-portfolio-(Satchmo-III)).

TCN-02_zps417fdb07.png

OLGA HELMET MODEL

TCN-01_zpsbf341e49.png

GF HELMET MODEL

TCN-02_zps417fdb07.png

TCN-01_zpsbf341e49.png

Last edited by a moderator:
STAGE #2: PAPER ASSEMBLY SUMMARY

Due to scaling issues I wound up assembling the paper for these models several times (see the image below). Each time that I decided a model's scaling wasn't correct I went back to Blender to modify that model before re-assembling it. In this way the overall shaping improved and details I wanted to focus on for the paper stage of the build were developed.

TCN-03_zps6d5bd79c.jpg

MORE PAPER ASSEMBLY ITERATIONS THAN I'D LIKE

Photos of the final assemblies of the Olga and GF helmets are below. Both helmets took a little less than seven hours each to put together. I sketched on the paper with markers to show some of the detail work that will follow in later stages of the build.

TCN-04_zpsbcbdbe0a.jpg

OLGA FINAL PAPER ASSEMBLED

TCN-05_zps5db1f7d0.jpg

GF FINAL PAPER ASSEMBLED

TCN-03_zps6d5bd79c.jpg

TCN-04_zpsbcbdbe0a.jpg

TCN-05_zps5db1f7d0.jpg

STAGE #3: HARDENING SUMMARY

I was able to do the resin work in a large open-space heated warehouse (it's still cold outside in Minnesota). I applied fiberglass resin to both the exterior and interior of each helmet and then coated the interiors with rondo. Typically I would follow the rondo with fiberglass but I've decided that the rondo is rigid enough to allow me to proceed. The photos below show the helmets following the hardening stage which took about two hours overall. It's not easy to tell by the photos but the exterior coat of resin really brought out the marker coloring.

TCN-06_zpsdd87d84a.jpg

OLGA HARDENING COMPLETED

TCN-07_zps48e16835.jpg

GF HARDENING COMPLETED

This weekend I intend to proceed to the detailing stage which will include bondo-work and sanding. More on that will follow.

TCN-06_zpsdd87d84a.jpg

TCN-07_zps48e16835.jpg

BUILD UPDATE...

I spent about seven hours yesterday and today doing general shaping and smoothing work. For me, this is a many iterative process of applying and sanding bondo, especially when trying to produce symmetrical semi-spherical surfaces. Below are a few snap-shots of each helmet during the shaping process.

TCN-08_zps56ffb5e7.jpg

OLGA SMOOTHING PROGRESSION

I knocked my sanding block off by hitting the side of the GF helmet and caused a crack to form at the neck opening so I wound up installing fiberglass inside it for reinforcing. You'll notice no eye openings...I removed the recessed eye openings from the PDO to speed along the paper assembly phase and help in minimizing potential deformations with the assembled paper. I'll cut these out later.

TCN-09_zpse6065085.jpg

GF SMOOTHING PROGRESSION

I probably need one or two more sessions to get the shaping where I'd like it. Then I'll work on the finer details and further smoothing. Below are some photos of the helmets in their current states.

TCN10_zps581818b6.jpg

OLGA AS OF 2014-03-15

TCN-11_zps74afd67e.jpg

GF AS OF 2014-03-15

POST RESPONSES...

This is looking really cool! Im really excited to see the OLGA helm all smooth and shiny, unlike the game makes it look :D

Thanks...I'm looking forward to smooth/shiny also.

END TRANSMISSION.

TCN-08_zps56ffb5e7.jpg

TCN-09_zpse6065085.jpg

TCN10_zps581818b6.jpg

TCN-11_zps74afd67e.jpg

Hi, can you Upload the 3D model Files or Papacura ???

Aside from the fact that this post resurrects a thread that's been dead for over a year, you need to do some reading. There's a link to the thread which contains the unfolded file, you can find it HERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back