Halo 3 UNSC Frag Grenade (WIP) 3/15/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking good so far!

You've inspired me to try some molding of my own. I haven't stopped by NM Clay yet, but I may head over there soon!

hey if you could once you start making a bunch gunbunny might need one for her Spartan build so you might want to see if she does.

Ok! Ill make sure to check with her!

Although this is the Halo 3 Model... Gunbunny is constructing reach armour. not sure if she is looking for this model or Reach model

Ill check with her anyways!
Thanks!

Looking good so far!

You've inspired me to try some molding of my own. I haven't stopped by NM Clay yet, but I may head over there soon!

Thanks! NM Clay is the place to be! Definitely check them out!

Hey Guys!

Got another update for you and I couldn't wait to show you!

Update:

Alright guys I got plenty of progress done in the past couple days. Just checking off my to-do list for this grenade. I fixed the errors and imperfections that were on the grenade before. after sanding and wet sanding countless times, the grenade finally began to become smooth and was heading in the right direction. The head and neck were also prepped and worked on. I primed the head and eliminated imperfections that appeared. I also gave the head a coat of hammer textured paint. I assembled it and it looked awesome! :D

Once the grenade was primed and fixed, It was ready to go to the next preparation. I added the lines on the body using a band saw and a Dremel. The band saw was able to get the lines that stretched horizontally and vertically across the body while the details were etched with a Dremel. A rasp/file was used to smooth out any uneven or imperfections in the lines. The result was stunning and I couldn't tell you how excited I was to get to the final product!

Here is the Grenade primed and textured... 80% done in these pictures.

Side:
DSC00675_zpsb763700a.jpg

DSC00676_zps81c0e886.jpg

I am planning to mold it tomorrow or the next day. I am using Rebound 25 to create the mold and Smooth-Cast 300 to cast the grenades. They will also be foam filled to help support the hollow structure.
I plan to sell these for about $20 per raw cast and $30 for painted (I know this belongs in the marketplace but I think as long as I am not saying "PM me to buy" I should be fine, but I apologize if i am wrong)

80fc34b7-c2e6-4433-8383-954bd8feed0e_zps6fbd2775.jpg

Also just a side question but how do you guy's recommend molding this grenade. I will be making it a 2-Part brush on mold but there are a couple ways to do it. Some are more fullproof than others.
I plan on using something similar to this method:

Check it out and tell me What you guys think! Any comments and questions are greatly appreciated! :)

Edit:

The hammered paint was removed due to not coating correctly. If someone could tell me how to use it properly, that would be great!

Thanks for viewing

DSC00675_zpsb763700a.jpg

DSC00676_zps81c0e886.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys!

Got another update for you and I couldn't wait to show you!

Update:

Alright guys I got plenty of progress done in the past couple days. Just checking off my to-do list for this grenade. I fixed the errors and imperfections that were on the grenade before. after sanding and wet sanding countless times, the grenade finally began to become smooth and was heading in the right direction. The head and neck were also prepped and worked on. I primed the head and eliminated imperfections that appeared. I also gave the head a coat of hammer textured paint. I assembled it and it looked awesome! :D

Once the grenade was primed and fixed, It was ready to go to the next preparation. I added the lines on the body using a band saw and a Dremel. The band saw was able to get the lines that stretched horizontally and vertically across the body while the details were etched with a Dremel. A rasp/file was used to smooth out any uneven or imperfections in the lines. The result was stunning and I couldn't tell you how excited I was to get to the final product!

Here is the Grenade primed and textured... 80% done in these pictures.

Side:
DSC00675_zpsb763700a.jpg

DSC00676_zps81c0e886.jpg

I am planning to mold it tomorrow or the next day. I am using Rebound 25 to create the mold and Smooth-Cast 300 to cast the grenades. They will also be foam filled to help support the hollow structure.
I plan to sell these for about $20 per raw cast and $30 for painted (I know this belongs in the marketplace but I think as long as I am not saying "PM me to buy" I should be fine, but I apologize if i am wrong)

Also just a side question but how do you guy's recommend molding this grenade. I will be making it a 2-Part brush on mold but there are a couple ways to do it. Some are more fullproof than others.
I plan on using something similar to this method:

Check it out and tell me What you guys think! Any comments and questions are greatly appreciated! :)

Edit:

The hammered paint was removed due to not coating correctly. If someone could tell me how to use it properly, that would be great!

Thanks for viewing

The grenade looks great! Just make sure you prep the surface properly to prevent cure inhibition. How do you plan to fill the grenade with a foam? I ask this because I am only thinking of one way you could do it, and that requires you to leave a hole (or make one) in a casting. That is easy enough, but how do you plan to cover said hole back up (if you plan to go that route)? If you don't plan to go that route I would like to hear what you have in mind.

Actually I just had an idea, but it's dependent on what type of foam you use. If you plan to use something like Flex Foam It then you could easily dye the foam red and leave the red portion of the top as just foam (Is that an activation button?). This would solve the need to fill the hole that's used for pouring the foam in. The only downside to that is the cost. The price of the foam and plastic would not be cheap, but you wouldn't need much of either to produce a finished piece.

You could also just make some foam copies. Having some foam grenades would be pretty cool. If you did it right you could follow a method like this and offer fully finished foam versions.

DSC00675_zpsb763700a.jpg

DSC00676_zps81c0e886.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The grenade looks great! Just make sure you prep the surface properly to prevent cure inhibition. How do you plan to fill the grenade with a foam? I ask this because I am only thinking of one way you could do it, and that requires you to leave a hole (or make one) in a casting. That is easy enough, but how do you plan to cover said hole back up (if you plan to go that route)? If you don't plan to go that route I would like to hear what you have in mind.

Actually I just had an idea, but it's dependent on what type of foam you use. If you plan to use something like Flex Foam It then you could easily dye the foam red and leave the red portion of the top as just foam (Is that an activation button?). This would solve the need to fill the hole that's used for pouring the foam in. The only downside to that is the cost. The price of the foam and plastic would not be cheap, but you wouldn't need much of either to produce a finished piece.

You could also just make some foam copies. Having some foam grenades would be pretty cool. If you did it right you could follow a method like this and offer fully finished foam versions.

Thanks SirPalesAlot,

Alright, so my plan is casting it almost like a helmet to where it is hollow including the pourspout. I will demold the product and pour some rigid foam in the hole. The foam will be allowed to expand right to the pour spout. the pour spout residue will be cut, sanded and trimmed including the left over foam from the spout. I belive the hole wont be visible afterwards, I will have to experiment though. Ill see how it works out and I will get back to you.

I actually do plan to make flex foam cast! I had this idea because a member asked me if he could pick up a few for his fan film. I figured if anyone used these in a fan film, it would most likely be thrown. If the plastic casts were thrown into a solid surface, it would most likely damage the grenades. So I was watching a video similar to yours and I decided to give a shot at making foam grenades because they are virtually indestructible to hard hits. This would be a perfect solution to this issue. I will for sure give flex foam casts a go! :D

Like you said, foam and plastic isnt cheap. So I will probably do a run of plastic grenades filled with foam before I do flex foam, and once I raise enough money, I will start plastic and foam runs...

I cant wait to finish this project and make casts of it!

Thanks for the feed back. I really appreciate it! :thumbsup

Hey Guys!

My grenade build is done! I know it isnt a huge build like armour (Which I will be starting soon), but the final result is satisfying and it looks great!

Front
DSC00697_zps35c90f1f.jpg

Side
DSC00698_zpsda974529.jpg

Back
DSC00699_zpscba6c350.jpg

Side
DSC00700_zps05de11f0.jpg

For the Colors I Used:

1.) Rustolem's 2x Primer Coat (Whole Nade)

2.) Krylon's Olive Green (Body)

3.) Rustolem's Metallic Silver (Head)

4.) Testor's Ounce of Red Paint (Button)

5.) Black Acrylic/Water Wash (Wear)

Basically the contruction of this grenade is done (very very minor things to fix though). This build isn't officially and completely done but the molding and casting stage should be the final part of the WIP.

I should be getting clay tomorrow from my local Clay Store. Ill update this thread once I get progress done in the molding stage.

Thanks for viewing! Once again please feel free to make sugesstions and comments!
I can definitely use the criticism! ;)

Thanks again!
Halo 3 Props

Attachments

• DSC00697_zps35c90f1f.jpg
    DSC00697_zps35c90f1f.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC00698_zpsda974529.jpg
    DSC00698_zpsda974529.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC00699_zpscba6c350.jpg
    DSC00699_zpscba6c350.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC00700_zps05de11f0.jpg
    DSC00700_zps05de11f0.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 128
Thanks!

Once I get molding and casting done, Ill create a thread on the marketplace so I can get some copies out to whoever is interested!

Thanks again!
Halo 3 Props

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back