Halo 3 UNSC Frag Grenade (WIP) 3/15/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dystorted Props

Jr Member
Hello all 405 Members!

For a really long time I had been wanting to build the Halo 3 UNSC Frag Grenade. I finally discovered the pep file for this model in the 405th Pepakura Database. So yesterday I decided to make this pep my first small prop build on the forums! :D
I decided to print and send the file down to my handy-dandy Silhouette Cameo cutting machine! The cameo is a great tool to have whenever constructing pep files. This cuts down cut and build time in half depending on how complex the pep is. Really recommend a Cameo if you are constantly starting peps all the time (Like me!).

Ok ok! Ill stop blabbing and get straight to my build! ;)

Materials I used (And Prices if interested):

1. 110 Card-stock Paper (Around $5.)

2. Silhouette Cameo (Around $200 because I bought the kit.)

3. LocTite Super Glue (Around $3 - $5.)

4. Ink-Jet Printer (I Dont really know but printers are getting cheaper.)

Link to Pep-File (I do not take credit of owning this pep file.):

1. http://www.4shared.com/file/HAWy5Gr4/Fragmentation__H3_frag_.html

The assembly of the pep-file altogether took me about 55 min. (A little under an hour.)

Pictures:

Halo 3 In-Game Model:
h3frag.jpg

Halo 3 Frag Grenade Pepakura Model:
DSC00667_zps38f40f56.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC00668_zpsc74332de.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC00669_zpsd020218c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC00670_zps8d15c6b5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Come back for more updates soon (Possibly today)! I hope you all enjoy my first minor build on these forums!
Please, feel free to make suggestions on the build. I can most definitely use it! :D

Thanks for viewing!
Halo 3 Props

Attachments

• h3frag.jpg
    h3frag.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 693
I have done something like this as a test piece which was one part a kid size water bottle of spring water and just the top piece and it looks kind of like this.

Thanks Mate!

RYNO, I definitely recommend this file to whoever has a cameo. Even if you dont own one, I still highly recommend this excellent file!
If you end up trying out this model, Definitely let me know. I would love to see how it came along!:D

FoxLeader, Thanks for viewing! Yours sounds quite interesting. I would love to see it!

Once again, thanks for viewing!
Halo 3 Props

now only if I could find somebody that can make the halo 3 turret that would fit in the gun case in the game... any idea's Mr. halo 3 props?

I apologize for the lack of updates. I am currently sick in bed (No fun!):p.

I should have a full update this weekend, so stick around to see whats coming up next!

Thanks for viewing!
Halo 3 Props.

I apologize for the lack of updates. I am currently sick in bed (No fun!):p.

I should have a full update this weekend, so stick around to see whats coming up next!

Thanks for viewing!
Halo 3 Props.

I'm sorry to hear you are out sick. Looking good so far. I'm following closely as I'm about to make an H3 grenade from the Wal-Mart Christmas Coca-Cola round bottle as a BB carrier for my Splaser. I'd been trying to figure out a pattern for the top. You've set me onto using the pep pattern.

Redshirt

oh red I know what you're talking about, but wouldn't that be an up size grenade?

Good question. The Halo Encyclopedia has the H3 grenade at 3.7 inches diameter. The Coke sphere is 3.75 inches bare before adding the 1/8 inch foam details. When its done it would be just over a quarter inch over scale. I can live with that. I need the bottle on the interior with the screw cap to function as a BB refill canister for the Splaser.

Redshirt

I have returned and ready to finish this build!

Hello all!

I just realized I have not posted in this thread for about 3 months now! I apologize for those anticipating or watching my thread! Because school is out for me today, I will be starting this build back up again! I cannot wait to start back onto this grenade and really looking forward to the final product! :D

Update:

I haven't got much progress to show since the last post. I will tell you what I have done though from the last update. What I have done is scrapped my previous grenade due to inaccuracies (Dont mean to go against Garland's models! Great model by the way!). The reason for scrapping is due to the shape of the grenade. The grenade in the game appears to have an expanded neck while the Garland's model appears to have a sleek neck. Because of this I had to revise the grenade and see what I can do to fix the problem. My first and foremost idea was to thickly apply some Bondo or fiberglass in that area to expand the neck. Unfortunately, to me Bondo is sometimes a pain in the neck, and I did not want to waste too much time (or Bondo). I finally came up with a solution that would probably save me time and money. Because I began to learn 3D Modeling and editing in Blender, I decided to reshape the grenade in Blender. I had also done some minor editing to the head so it would configure with the new model. The final product was accurate and somewhat easy to pep. After the grenade was assembled, I moved on to the resin stage.

Link to updated Pep-File (I do not take credit of owning this pep file.):

1.) http://www.4shared.com/file/1uLHp7aTba/frag-nade.html?

Note: The unfolding is similar to Garland's original model.

Pictures (Pic Heavy):

Halo 3 In-Game Model:
h3frag.jpg

The model in the left is the older model. The model in the right is the updated model.
DSCN2611_zpsd41d1e44.jpg

New:
DSCN2610_zps9538ee91.jpg

Old:
DSCN2609_zps9156e4f0.jpg

New Head:
DSCN2607_zps1c2fa897.jpg

Old Head:
DSCN2608_zpsdb2c7029.jpg

Comparison from new to old:
DSCN2603_zpscf05ee3f.jpg

Check back in a couple days for another update. Because fiberglass would be a pain to put into the model, I will be slushing some Smooth-Cast 300 in my model to make it tough and sturdy. I should begin the Bondo stage by then.

Also feel free to post feedback, comments, whatever!
I'm excited to begin this again!:)

Hope to see you back!
Halo 3 Props;)

Attachments

• h3frag.jpg
    h3frag.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCN2611_zpsd41d1e44.jpg
    DSCN2611_zpsd41d1e44.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 197
  • DSCN2610_zps9538ee91.jpg
    DSCN2610_zps9538ee91.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCN2609_zps9156e4f0.jpg
    DSCN2609_zps9156e4f0.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCN2607_zps1c2fa897.jpg
    DSCN2607_zps1c2fa897.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCN2603_zpscf05ee3f.jpg
    DSCN2603_zpscf05ee3f.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN2608_zpsdb2c7029.jpg
    DSCN2608_zpsdb2c7029.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 191
The game model has texture (raised "squares" around the surface) and the pep model is smooth with no detail. Has anybody modeled this accurately yet with the proper surface detail?

I agree,

I do not believe there is any other Halo 3 Frag model out there yet. The only one I have knowledge of is this particular model.
I will for sure keep on the lookout though! :)

Thanks for viewing!
Halo 3 Props

Check back in a couple days for another update. Because fiberglass would be a pain to put into the model, I will be slushing some Smooth-Cast 300 in my model to make it tough and sturdy. I should begin the Bondo stage by then.

Do you buy your smooth cast local? I've always wanted to try it out since it doesn't warp the paper like rondo does. And I should not have looked up what a silhouette cameo was… now I want one!

Hey guys!

I have another update on the Frag-Nade'. Progress is coming out very well so far, and I couldn't wait to show you guys what I have achieved so far!

Update:

Progress is well so far. I apologize again for not updating in awhile, my model had already been pepped and I was waiting on getting the materials I needed. A couple days back I finally went to my local clay distributor and picked up some plastic, rubber, and some mold release. I couldnt wait to get to work on my Frag-Nade!

80fc34b7-c2e6-4433-8383-954bd8feed0e_zps6fbd2775.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So what I have done is I have have to ONCE AGAIN, scrap my Frag-Nade V2 due to inaccuracies in the model. The neck of the grenade turned out to be too wide and the Head was too tall and had few inaccurate developments. I decided to once again re-model the grenade and this time, instead of looking at some reference images online, I went into Halo 3's Forge and took a look at the grenade. I tried best to make out an ortho view from the grenade since Forge's view is more of a user perspective. I sketched some proportions and got straight to modeling. The final product was quite accurate to the in-game model and I immediately got to pepping my new model.

So after my previous update I originally had a plan of coating the models with fiberglass resin and slushing the interior with Smooth-Cast 300. A couple days after my previous update, I found and viewed SirPalesAlot's build thread of his Mk VI Armour. After viewing his thread I read his method of using pepakura models as a mold for the plastic. I thought his method was genius and I immediately read up on how he did it.

After reading his thread, I decided to give it a shot myself. Because I didnt have the particular mold release he used, I tested my current mold release inside one of my old pep models. The result wasn't what I wanted though. The release agent didn't seal the porous paper at all and the plastic stuck to the mold. I decided to purchase the can of Ease Release 2831 (the release agent used by SirPalesAlot) since my local distributor carried it. Once I picked up the rest of my supplied, I immediately got to work on my grenade.

The result was pleasing. The mold release completely sealed the pep model and the plastic easily released from the model with no issues.

It took plenty of sanding just to get rid of the flat faces. I reworked the head and decided to cut of the neck of the grenade since it was interfering with some sanding. For the neck I decided to pour some plastic into a plastic cup since it had the correct size and shape.

Full Grenade:
DSCN2779_zps528bee69.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCN2782_zpsa15d33d8.jpg

DSCN2781_zpsfa9b9a95.jpg

DSCN2780_zps3e7c6167.jpg

Head:
DSCN2770_zpsd9afd609.jpg

Neck:
DSCN2773_zpsd154b94a.jpg

Body:
DSCN2776_zpsa0dd32e8.jpg

Parts:
DSCN2768_zps6915ff00.jpg
I apologize for the huge photos. Photobucket's resize feature isnt working for me. Ill try and resolve it soon...

As you can see, It looks pretty sloppy right now. I just ran out of the Bondo hardener, but hopefully I will pick some up today. The giant indent on the side will be fixed including the slant and the faces on the head. Once the grenade is smoothed, the lines on the body will be added and sanded. The final product should be quite smooth and accurate.

Thanks for reading!
Please, leave any comments or suggestions! I could really use them!

Thanks for viewing!
Halo 3 Props

Attachments

• DSCN2781_zpsfa9b9a95.jpg
    DSCN2781_zpsfa9b9a95.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCN2782_zpsa15d33d8.jpg
    DSCN2782_zpsa15d33d8.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCN2773_zpsd154b94a.jpg
    DSCN2773_zpsd154b94a.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCN2770_zpsd9afd609.jpg
    DSCN2770_zpsd9afd609.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCN2780_zps3e7c6167.jpg
    DSCN2780_zps3e7c6167.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 174
  • DSCN2776_zpsa0dd32e8.jpg
    DSCN2776_zpsa0dd32e8.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN2768_zps6915ff00.jpg
    DSCN2768_zps6915ff00.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 180
Hey Fox,

Not sure... The frag grenade that I am constructing is almost completely filled with plastic, making it weigh more. I have accidentally dropped this grenade on concrete a couple of times and it is still perfectly in tact. Although I would for sure not recommend throwing it at a solid surface (like Concrete), It should survive throws into the ground or at a tree.

What I am actually going to try and do is make flex foam casts. This would be a perfect solution to the problem because Flex foam barely takes any damage when thrown. I wanted to experiment with flex foam so I can make grenades that can be thrown at just about anything. Although to paint the foam grenades, I would use Smooth-On's Psycho Paint with some colorant and thinner. This allows the grenade to be clenched without cracking the paint.

Thanks for asking this question! I have been meaning to let you guys know about my plans but I keep forgetting to mention them. :)

Thanks again,
Halo 3 Props

Wow that grenade is looking great, reminds me of Link's back in the day. lol I will definitely be interested in getting a couple if you sell some foam casts.

hey if you could once you start making a bunch gunbunny might need one for her Spartan build so you might want to see if she does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back