ODST build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgtpearce

Hey guys I was thinking of doing an ODST build, though never built anything and just admired everyone else's work, I want to try one now. My question to you guys is what would you say is the least detailed ODST file or which one do you think would be good for a complete novice? I don't have the skill to do some of the more elegant ODST builds but maybe something for foam? I think a foam build is what I will try, oh I just read someone's foam build here the other day, any foam builders please add your suggestions :) thanks guys!

My first foam suit was ODST I used hugh holder files.

I know theres not alot of ready made foam templates around so there will be some fiddling to do if you decide to mod pepakura files. Andrew cook's ODST templates seem to be quite simple to make and I have seen some good success from people on here who have made them.

Just be sure to buy ALOT of knives as you will change them out often.

Personally I found the knife really easy to build and figured that if I didn't enjoy it, I could stop fairly easily with having gotten half way through a helmet/full armour. I'd say find something you wouldn't mind looking at on your shelf if you don't do anything else.

As for Foam, the more detailed an item is, the harder. I would not suggest a pistol as a first piece since it has a lot of layers and a lot of small details.

Thanks for the tips, I did some searching and found some files on another thread and found some files, though not sure how good, I'm using the suggestions others posted there to get the stuff I need to cut the mats, just have to find the mats in Canada. When I get my supply's and mats I'll use this thread to show you guys how it's coming. Any foam builders with tips or tricks let me know I could use the advice.

Thanks so much, my mats and scalpel and blades are in the mail should be here by the beginning of April to start cutting, will give me time to get all the files in order and such. Thanks for the help!

and don't forget to check the everything DFT thread I've got to the step by step video's.

Sorry for double post and hope I'm not necrowing but I have a small update, my foam arrived today, but my blades are not here :/ so time to track down my files and print out templates that way when my blades do get here I'm good to cut! More to come as it develops

Edit: do you guys find CardStock to be a better template material vs regular paper?

Cardstock > paper... hands down. I tried using paper and it was downright frustrating. Heck, even cardstock seems a little flimsy on intricate pieces. On my first build, I printed out onto paper and then transposed that to heavy cardboard. Ever since then, I have wished all my templates were made from cardboard... but, it is one extra step that I just omit and put up with the cardstock :)

Edit: You are good on the double post. It has been a couple of days and you had an update... and a question... that makes it very valid. Also, no necro either. It has only been a couple of days since you first started this thread. A necro is when it has been more than a month with zero activity and nothing new or valuable is being added.

I'm pretty sure im gonna have to go to staples to print these out :/ what is CardStock worth by chance? Maybe I can find a printer on kijiji or something, Oh odd question, with3D printing and stuff starting to get big is anyone using a 3D printer to make parts or templates?

I picked up 110lb cardstock pack of 200 sheets for around $6 US at Wal-Mart. It is not that expensive. If you plan on making this a long-term hobby, or even a full suit build, buying a cheap printer that can handle the cardstock and the cardstock itself may be less expensive than one trip to Staples.

As far as 3-d printing, yes... some have done it... but it is still fairly new, expensive, time consuming, and the parts are usually made to use as mold bucks.

The Staples in my town was selling cardstock for about 13 bucks I think, with either 200 or 250 sheets. It's not too bad of a price I guess.... but I also live in CT, so things tend to be a bit more expensive unfortunately for me lol

CT? And I live in Canada so I hope my prices will be fairly close to your guys prices. Too cold here to do much other then foam so I hope this works out!

Awesome I'll try not to botch it too bad haha, I will see about doing that heating and folding technique that uh oh crap what's his name, he does the cool cut and heat and fold thing, I'm gonna see if I can so some of that on the shoulders. I'll keep you guys posted.

Connecticut, USA haha. And I agree with you on the cold. I had started to make some stuff in Pepakura, but it pretty much crawled to a stop. Too cold to resin, bondo and all that jazz. So I will be switching over to foam, so I will be looking at your thread when you update it (also building ODST armor).

Also, http://www.staples.ca/en/Card-Cover-Stock/cat_CL200423_2-CA_1_20001?fids=4224939192 should give you the prices of the card stock.

On the bright side, i think it will be warming up this weekend. I am east coast as well. Might be a bit soggy but other than that, should be good. Hopefully no more freak snow storms :p I'll be up your way towards August for a LARP event. Last year was MISERABLY cold and soggy, hopefully better luck this year. Good luck with the foam. Post us some pics!

I heard you could use a Dremel / knockoff rotary tool on foam. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like you can get cleaner edges on your pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back