Halo 4 CIO Chest model WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

harican89

Here is a seperated thread for my C.I.O chest project. its gona be a really simple model, which allows you to easily add the missing details with sheets of plastic (ABS) or Bondo.
I hate those Pepakura files which lots of details which are a pain in the *** to keep while hardening the piece with resin. so i want to get rid of those "mountain" details and keep it simple as possible.

Information:
Iam currently working on an unfold with extra editing for the CIO chest piece, which was released by Gravemind and the Adjutant Team who provdided these files.

Ref-Images

th_Base_Front_zpsd1638a2e.jpg th_Base_Back_zps26d445e8.jpg th_CIO_Side_zps268a134e.jpg

While its my first 3D model shaped in blender i got some serious alignment problems with the orthografic view and the perspective view references. so i try to solve this free by hand but i hope someone can offer his help and take a look at the final piece.
th_ref_problem_zpsbe519b7d.jpg

so... here are the plans of the reduced details i want to achieve:

th_Base_Front_edited_zpsab44dd0f.jpg th_Base_Back_edited_zpsbcc9b960.jpg

And the currently project status (22.03.14):

th_Cio_front_zpsef712126.jpg th_Cio_Side_zpsa77415e2.jpg th_Cio_pers_zps28dd806b.jpg th_Cio_pers2_zps2d05953f.jpg

i use the human mesh for orientation purpose only. ive downloaded the mesh from the blender community forum.

hope you like that :)

th_Base_Front_zpsd1638a2e.jpg

th_Base_Back_zps26d445e8.jpg

th_CIO_Side_zps268a134e.jpg

th_ref_problem_zpsbe519b7d.jpg

th_Base_Front_edited_zpsab44dd0f.jpg

th_Base_Back_edited_zpsbcc9b960.jpg

th_Cio_front_zpsef712126.jpg

th_Cio_Side_zpsa77415e2.jpg

th_Cio_pers_zps28dd806b.jpg

th_Cio_pers2_zps2d05953f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally!

I finally someone that is contributing to make to CIO Chest piece. I need this chest piece pretty darn much. Thanks harican for making this model!

Please notify me when the piece is done! I have a tendency for forgetting things.:p

Thanks once again!
Halo 3 Props

Good job on your model so far! Hang in there, man. I barely got through my Tracker build since I lack knowledge of Blender, but i'm telling you- it helps to watch those 10 minute tutorials on youtube. Practice, practice, practice. If you have to make multiple files of the same thing, do it. Also, just so you won't make the same mistake I did, make sure you save your progress before experimenting. You might lose the progress you've made or worse.

Hi harican89. I agree that it is sometimes difficult to align reference images.

I'm not sure where you got the images you are using but if you used the game's theater mode I would make the following suggestions. I've found that methods minimize reference image distortions.
1) Try to maintain the level, angle, and distance of the camera (your view) to the torso when you are rotating around it.
2) When taking photos, back away from the torso and use the zoom function. The closer you are the more the camera "wraps" around what you're photographing.

If you can't avoid such issues don't fret too much. You can generally make some compromises and still produce a solid model. Remember that these things don't need to be 100% accurate. In the end, you are making your model so you have free reign on what it ends up being.

I like what you have started per the images in your first post. Good luck continuing.

Hi harican89. I agree that it is sometimes difficult to align reference images.

I'm not sure where you got the images you are using but if you used the game's theater mode I would make the following suggestions. I've found that methods minimize reference image distortions.
1) Try to maintain the level, angle, and distance of the camera (your view) to the torso when you are rotating around it.
2) When taking photos, back away from the torso and use the zoom function. The closer you are the more the camera "wraps" around what you're photographing.

If you can't avoid such issues don't fret too much. You can generally make some compromises and still produce a solid model. Remember that these things don't need to be 100% accurate. In the end, you are making your model so you have free reign on what it ends up being.

I like what you have started per the images in your first post. Good luck continuing.

thanks for advises. i want to follow these tips. yesterday i already took some now screenshots in the theater mode like the way to told me. its really better but i cant figure out how to zoom in :-D maybe i just have had to push the right analog stick xD i will try this out tomorrow and align my model with the new ref screens. should be done tomorrow :) hope so.

Okay. today i spotted the CIO Chest Obj File in another thread. (Halo 4 Armour Assets).

These rips need some major edits and i want to get the CIO chest good enough to work with. so i will continue my work with the linked CIO chest and want to get it smooth, pep friendly and easy to build.
here is a image from both sides of the obj cio chest piece
CIOChest_Steps_zps4e5bb2ac.png

As you can see ive edited the left thruster a bit and reduce the vertices. i cut out some faces for detailing purpose and will import them in the future pep file (like monkeyfuj does it with his recon helmet)

Steps and fixes:
1. lift the curve near the shoulder pad to get a better shape and fitting without pain while wearing
2. create an empty gab (box) as a building place for the tiny details. the bigger one get some extra some seperate pieces in the pep file
3. narrow the sidebelt of the armor to get a better fit for normal human bodies
4. the center part of the backplate is completely seperated of the chest. same goes for the top-left and right part of the backplate. i want to reduce the parts for the base back/front and get 3 pieces (belt, front, back)
5. reduce the details and create a seperate piece for the details.

Details:
step 2 and 5 are necessary. i dont want to pep those tiny, curvy and sharp details. its just complicated and a pain in the ass while pepping. so i get this done by adding other materials and reduce the details. for those who wants to get this pepped i will create these seperated parts. you can chose if you want to do it or not.

update comes tomorrow :)

Attachments

• CIOChest_Steps_zps4e5bb2ac.png
    CIOChest_Steps_zps4e5bb2ac.png
    512.1 KB · Views: 315
sorry. the cio chest at this point is currently paused.
i dont have the time to work on all the pieces i need. the start was great and after the release of the ripped files i started to work on cleaning the file and working the details out for 3d printing. if you want to get the file you have to wait. i will finish this, but not until november.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back