My RE-attempt, and FINAL try at Mark VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not bad at all, Spartan. I'd say you have the scale more or less sorted on your parts, though I do worry slightly about that armoured section on your undersuit interfering with the backplate slightly.

Thanks! The chest piece ended up being aboug 3/4's inch too small. I'm not redoing it. IF I do, it will be after my goal time of being completed. I have an idea on how to cover up the gap and not make it look to 'gimicky'.

looks good so far! What material did you make the visor out of? It looks odd (not in an offensive matter, just unique.)

Appreciate it! The visor is just wrapped in saran wrap so it doesn't get scratched.

Not much to update this weekend. I work in a grocery store and at the beginning of every month is super busy. BUT I was able to test out Rondo. Not too bad. It did get fairly warm though. It's only 55 degrees so I was able to move the rondo around before it got too hard to quickly

IMG_6306_zps2a21cef2.jpg

Hopefully by the end of the week I will have everything else Rondo'ed. :) Take care everybody!

P.S. I'm super excited for the 'shaping' stage (bondoing the outside). Although, I'm really nervous about it too... lol Just a little bit at a time so I don't have to sand everything off.

Attachments

• IMG_6306_zps2a21cef2.jpg
    IMG_6306_zps2a21cef2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 93
I need some help! I split my Master Chief Mark VI chest in half, like I'm supposed to. As I'm putting my magnets in to hold the two halves together, I some how put ever single one in backwards... Yes I know "How the hell did you manage that?!" Idk. I just don't know. I thought magnets would be the best way to go as I've read many times that sometimes parachute clips are hard to get to, to unlock sometimes. My question is, how do I get the magnets out and replace them without completely having to restart? This is the only picture I have before I started shouting things I shouldn't have lol. Any advice is much needed/welcome. I copied this to the facebook page : United Prop Builders. Firstly I didn't know that heat messes with the magnets ability to stay magnetized and second, the idea of using a hole saw is pretty good. Hopefully my local Home depot of Menards has one. BUT are there any other ideas that could potentionally help me out? I'm having nothing but a terrible time with this chest. I knew it was going to be the most difficult so I just want to get it out of the way.

IMG_6341_zpsd8efbd34.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6341_zpsd8efbd34.jpg
    IMG_6341_zpsd8efbd34.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 90
I've kind of done this! I had this issue with my Spartan laser front grip latch--set in billet aluminum! The rare earth magnets are really hard, so don't try to drill them out. Also, if you get them hot in any they will lose some or all of their strength. You will just have to chip them out or drill a small hole from the other side and punch them out. I reset mine the second time with JB Weld. It bonds best to metal magnets. For best fit and strength I set both sides at the same time with cling wrap or wax paper in between. This will guarantee no backwards magnets and allow the magnets to align themselves for the best magnetic adhesion after the epoxy sets. This will also ensure your suit parts will seek perfect alignment with each other when finished.

uvv40.jpg

There are two magnets side by side in each half floating in JB Weld. I assembled the grip into its frame with Press-N-Seal between the parts then jigged the grip into the proper open position. End result--the magnets squeezed out the epoxy between themselves, self-aligned, and then cured into a crazy strong latch!

Good luck! Hope that helps.

Redshirt

Well, its been a little over two weeks and I really haven't done anything with this because I was on midnights, the weather is only in the 50's and mostly because of the expansion to Diablo 3 came out, and the new Magic the gathering set came out. Too many fun things happening... Yesterday it happened to reach about 65 degrees and I worked on the gloves a little bit.

These are the gloves that I purchased a few weeks ago.
IMG_6378_zpsfd476673.jpg
IMG_6379_zps77ce6309.jpg

Not sure how to go about painting these, so I experimented.
IMG_6380_zps103a8e98.jpg

I think theres too much green. I may just keep the fingers green.
IMG_6383_zps19ff5b15.jpg

This is what I'm thinking about chaning it to.
IMG_6388V2_zps647154fa.jpg

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6388V2_zps647154fa.jpg
    IMG_6388V2_zps647154fa.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_6383_zps19ff5b15.jpg
    IMG_6383_zps19ff5b15.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6380_zps103a8e98.jpg
    IMG_6380_zps103a8e98.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6379_zps77ce6309.jpg
    IMG_6379_zps77ce6309.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_6378_zpsfd476673.jpg
    IMG_6378_zpsfd476673.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 94
I worked a little bit more on the items tonight. Here's my progress.

Both gloves are done in different ways. Trying to decide which way I like better
IMG_6389_zps67809e8a.jpg

IMG_6394_zpsb92191c0.jpg
IMG_6392_zpsb6430aad.jpg

Take care everybody

Attachments

• IMG_6389_zps67809e8a.jpg
    IMG_6389_zps67809e8a.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_6392_zpsb6430aad.jpg
    IMG_6392_zpsb6430aad.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_6394_zpsb92191c0.jpg
    IMG_6394_zpsb92191c0.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 100
I worked a little bit more on the items tonight. Here's my progress.

Both gloves are done in different ways. Trying to decide which way I like better
IMG_6389_zps67809e8a.jpg

IMG_6394_zpsb92191c0.jpg
IMG_6392_zpsb6430aad.jpg

Take care everybody

I like the black with olive. It gives more emphasis on the details and delineates the two.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_6392_zpsb6430aad.jpg
    IMG_6392_zpsb6430aad.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_6394_zpsb92191c0.jpg
    IMG_6394_zpsb92191c0.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6389_zps67809e8a.jpg
    IMG_6389_zps67809e8a.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 101
I agree with Ryno as well, but isn't the back of the hand going to be covered by the hand-plate anyways? If so, then I would definitely go with the black there.

Looking great btw :)

I like the black with olive. It gives more emphasis on the details and delineates the two.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I agree with Ryno as well, but isn't the back of the hand going to be covered by the hand-plate anyways? If so, then I would definitely go with the black there.

Looking great btw :)

I think I agree with the both of you. I'm gonna go with the black with the olive. Thanks for the input! :)

Today's progress! Worked a little bit on the bottom half of the helmet.
IMG_6400_zps085ba62d.jpg
IMG_6408_zps17b0677f.jpg
IMG_6410_zpsc911266b.jpg
IMG_6409_zpsa144def3.jpg

That's all. Hopefully some more progress Friday night! Take care!

Attachments

• IMG_6408_zps17b0677f.jpg
    IMG_6408_zps17b0677f.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6410_zpsc911266b.jpg
    IMG_6410_zpsc911266b.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6400_zps085ba62d.jpg
    IMG_6400_zps085ba62d.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6409_zpsa144def3.jpg
    IMG_6409_zpsa144def3.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 89
Your finish work on the helmet looks really good. Keep it up.

Redshirt

Hey, I just read through your thread and I sense some amount of uncertainty and indecision from you with your build, and just wanted to say that it's threads like yours which keep me inspired to continue trudging along while I'm still at the pep phase and people like you are already doing bondo work. It's looking great so far!

This thread isn't dead. Sorry. Some good news! My helmet is done! It took a while, but its finally done. Now...onto another piece...

IMG_6771_zps79f9e3ca.jpg
IMG_6770_zps6349d9c0.jpg
IMG_6769_zpse006a7bc.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6769_zpse006a7bc.jpg
    IMG_6769_zpse006a7bc.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_6770_zps6349d9c0.jpg
    IMG_6770_zps6349d9c0.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_6771_zps79f9e3ca.jpg
    IMG_6771_zps79f9e3ca.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 86
Bravo! How did you come out with the magnet problem?

Redshirt

Not sure where you are at now in regards to the thighs, but as per the pictures you posted, I'd say that the thigh seemed to be a bit large. The shin armor seems fine compared to the thighs, could you post a picture wearing the old (original) thighs with the new shins? That might help determine if the shins are too big. They will be out of proportion with the thighs, which is something that will need to be accounted for when judging the picture, but what I'm concerned with is how it sits on your leg, is it too high? too low? both? (both would definitely mean it is too big). The main reason I think the new thigh was too big is because I saw a rather large gap, plus, it seemed to be hanging low enough that it would cause issues with the shin.

I would also suggest that you can make the inner side of the thigh out of foam. Doing this also provides some padding in case the thigh is a little bit spacious inside.

Also, I gotta admit that your Pepakura models are coming out really clean looking. Seems like you take your time with them and do your best not to rush through them. :)

On the helmet, how did you add the details with the black air hoses on the helmet? Is that from the pep file or did you find some tubing or something to improve the look and style of the helm?

Constructive Criticism: Assuming those are LEDs on the sides of the helm, I would suggest that recessing them back a tad bit into the helmet and adding covers for them, OR adding sections of craft foam around each of them -- expanding the areas out around them so they aren't just sticking out from the helmet would improve the look of the helmet.

Can't wait to see more!

Awesome job (really liking how your helmet is coming), can't wait to see how it turns out!
Thanks!

Very nice job on the helm btw! <3
Appreciate it! At the end, putting the finishing touch's on it, I was kinda upset by the amount of black, looking directly at the front, but putting the visor in really pulled the whole thing together.

YAY its finished! :)
looking good!
Thank you!

Bravo! How did you come out with the magnet problem?Redshirt
I think you are probably referring to the chest piece? I decided to do that piece last. It took me so long to get the helmet done that I wanted to work on some of the other pieces so that I feel like I'm making some kind of progress. lol

Not sure where you are at now in regards to the thighs, but as per the pictures you posted, I'd say that the thigh seemed to be a bit large. The shin armor seems fine compared to the thighs, could you post a picture wearing the old (original) thighs with the new shins? That might help determine if the shins are too big. They will be out of proportion with the thighs, which is something that will need to be accounted for when judging the picture, but what I'm concerned with is how it sits on your leg, is it too high? too low? both? (both would definitely mean it is too big). The main reason I think the new thigh was too big is because I saw a rather large gap, plus, it seemed to be hanging low enough that it would cause issues with the shin.

I would also suggest that you can make the inner side of the thigh out of foam. Doing this also provides some padding in case the thigh is a little bit spacious inside.

Also, I gotta admit that your Pepakura models are coming out really clean looking. Seems like you take your time with them and do your best not to rush through them. :)

On the helmet, how did you add the details with the black air hoses on the helmet? Is that from the pep file or did you find some tubing or something to improve the look and style of the helm?

Constructive Criticism: Assuming those are LEDs on the sides of the helm, I would suggest that recessing them back a tad bit into the helmet and adding covers for them, OR adding sections of craft foam around each of them -- expanding the areas out around them so they aren't just sticking out from the helmet would improve the look of the helmet.

Can't wait to see more!
I actually don't have any of the thighs anymore, since I decided to start fresh after a nice break. I thought the new thigh was a little large, and the original was a little small. That being said I am just going to make the in-between size. For the shin, my personal opinion is that the shin was a little large, I think the two pieces were rubbing against each other. So I'll be shrinking that one a tad bit also.
I had already planned on doing foam on the thighs. I don't remember which thread I read it on, but I thought it was a good idea. :)
I've read and heard that the more accurate and precise the model is, the less bondo that has to be put on... less sanding is fine by me! Haha
I found some of that tubing that covers the wiring under the hood of the car. I bought it at my local Ace Hardware store. Wasn't very expensive. But I had to keep remaking the piece because when I tried to hot glue it in, the medal tip on the gun kept melting the hose. :angry

About the helm, thanks. To be honest, I had ORIGINALLYplanned on sanding the little "protrusion" spots, where the LED's are supposed to go, flush with the rest of that flat area. But I had a few good days of working on it and I got excited, and just forgot about it. I still plan on doing that at a later time. That way they sit a little farther back. I may possible get some LED's that are a tad bit larger. But I whole heartly agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back