My RE-attempt, and FINAL try at Mark VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveo0521

Hello all, I've started this project 2 different times and have been working on it for three years. Its time to start it and work it until I'm done. My goal is to be done by October 1. I have other projects I want to work on. I am taking one piece and taking a week to pep it. A week because I have many things going on. Hopefully it all works out. That being said, I have been working on this for 6 weeks. Its a too cold outside to be putting an resin on the pieces. I'm hoping to have ALL pep work done by April 30. Once done, I can take a few days to get ALL the pieces hardened, and then I can spend a few months doing bondo, sand, bondo, sand bondo...you guys know the drill. Haha. Here are some pics. Any advice or criticism is always welcome! Thanks

IMG_6170_zps9ae7b0dd.jpg
IMG_6219_zps2116e434.jpg
IMG_6220_zpsf7e92fef.jpg

Here's my fitting dummy
IMG_5269_zps906603b3.jpg

This is what it looked like before I got discouraged. All the pieces were different sizes. Too small, too large. Some of the pieces weren't pepped good enough, IMO.
IMG_5280_zps0411eea2.jpg
IMG_5274_zpsa3e12475.jpg

Here's the size difference in the chest, between the original and the new one.
IMG_6215_zpsc3ff9ae0.jpg

I would of had the belt done. But it ended up being two inches too big. So I'm redoing that. Hoping to have a picture of it up by Friday or Saturday pm. Thanks for taking the time too look guys!

Attachments

• IMG_6170_zps9ae7b0dd.jpg
    IMG_6170_zps9ae7b0dd.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_6219_zps2116e434.jpg
    IMG_6219_zps2116e434.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_6220_zpsf7e92fef.jpg
    IMG_6220_zpsf7e92fef.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_6215_zpsc3ff9ae0.jpg
    IMG_6215_zpsc3ff9ae0.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5274_zpsa3e12475.jpg
    IMG_5274_zpsa3e12475.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_5280_zps0411eea2.jpg
    IMG_5280_zps0411eea2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_5269_zps906603b3.jpg
    IMG_5269_zps906603b3.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 139
I'm going to say it, the scale of the armor pieces where you say you got discouraged actually looks pretty good. The only thing I can see that's obvious is the thighs, a bit too small. Otherwise, the proportions are not bad.

You've got the pepping skill, and it seems you've got the bondo work skill as well judging by the work on the shins and arms. I really think you've got it in you to get this done.

Keep it up!

Very nice work, Spartan. I'm impressed with your pep quality and your bondo ability looks far above the average.

The only critique I'd give is to not set yourself a deadline - they're nice things to have, but ultimately Real Life interferes. Take the build at your own pace, work with time on your side to make your build the absolute best you can.

this is just a random thought but my armor was terribly miss-proportioned to begin with, However rather than re-pep everything i just cut down or added to pieces. I am just saying that this is an option (if you don't want to re-pep everything else Plus it doesn't take long so if it doesn't work for you. your not out very much time.)

<lurker mode off>

I have to agree with the advice above. There all good.

There is a difference between being "Proportioned correctly" and "Fit correctly".

Proportioned correctly: All the pieces match up with the proportion/sizes of the other pieces (same scale). eg. making it look proportioned exactly like John 117's. This is all fine and dandy, if the person wearing it has the same physique and stature as John 117.

Fit correctly: All the pieces are individually sized to the wearers corresponding body location (different scales). eg. The armor that John 117 wears is sized to fit each of his body locations.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages: My build was a hybrid of the two (an experiment).
  • The entire upper torso, forearms, helm and shoulders were proportioned to each other (same scale). This gave me the advantage of looking like John 117's upper body proportions but I quickly discovered that I have crappy freedom of movement and many pieces rub and squeak against each other. Why? I just don't have the physique needed to make those pieces fit my body properly. I had to add lots of padding to the torso and the shoulder pieces are always shifting around and rubbing against the torso.
  • The belt, thighs, shins and boots were sized for FIT (all had different scales). Yes, my thighs are too small too but that's if its compared to the proportion of John 117's. I have full freedom of movement. I can sit, kneel, crawl, plank, lay down, get up, tea-bag and drive my stick shift 4x4. No rubbing of pieces, no clanking or squeaking noises. Very little padding and strapping was needed.

Having said that... I also had to redo a lot of parts. The shins were done three times, boots and thighs had to be done twice and currently redoing the wrist plates. (too big)

Fit or Proportioned. It a personal choice. There is no right or wrong and you can mix it up like I did.

From what I can see, you have it sized for fitting your body via the dummy. I would say keep going, your on your way to making a good looking Chief.

I approve of the Crash pads and the SIXSIXONE pressure suit. (subscription +1)

Super Cheers! :)

<lurker mode on>

I'm going to say it, the scale of the armor pieces where you say you got discouraged actually looks pretty good. The only thing I can see that's obvious is the thighs, a bit too small. Otherwise, the proportions are not bad.

You've got the pepping skill, and it seems you've got the bondo work skill as well judging by the work on the shins and arms. I really think you've got it in you to get this done.

Keep it up!

::FacePalm:: My wife said almost the exact same thing about the suit looking pretty good! IMO the shoulders were too much of pain to get through the arm. I had to make my arm as straight as possible in order to get it into place. I agree about the thighs. I don't quite think they are high enough and they were digging into my skin. Thanks for the comment!

Very nice work, Spartan. I'm impressed with your pep quality and your bondo ability looks far above the average.

The only critique I'd give is to not set yourself a deadline - they're nice things to have, but ultimately Real Life interferes. Take the build at your own pace, work with time on your side to make your build the absolute best you can.

Thanks! Two summers ago was actually the first time I had ever messed around with bondo, and last summer my 2nd son was born so I didn't do too much with the project. I actually work a little better with a goal, that I'm actually serious about, set in place. I also have a goal because I want to try and Pep some other items. Boba Fett, Vader, Shredder, Batman. My wife also wants to start her own, but its kinda hard to do two of these at one time with two kids under the age of three running around lol.

this is just a random thought but my armor was terribly miss-proportioned to begin with, However rather than re-pep everything i just cut down or added to pieces. I am just saying that this is an option (if you don't want to re-pep everything else Plus it doesn't take long so if it doesn't work for you. your not out very much time.)

I actually tried adding an extra piece to the section by the ribs on the chest piece. It didn't work out to well to say the least. My wife says I'm far to hard on myself. My preference would be to just start the piece all over again.

<lurker mode off>

I have to agree with the advice above. There all good.

There is a difference between being "Proportioned correctly" and "Fit correctly".

Proportioned correctly: All the pieces match up with the proportion/sizes of the other pieces (same scale). eg. making it look proportioned exactly like John 117's. This is all fine and dandy, if the person wearing it has the same physique and stature as John 117.

Fit correctly: All the pieces are individually sized to the wearers corresponding body location (different scales). eg. The armor that John 117 wears is sized to fit each of his body locations.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages: My build was a hybrid of the two (an experiment).
  • The entire upper torso, forearms, helm and shoulders were proportioned to each other (same scale). This gave me the advantage of looking like John 117's upper body proportions but I quickly discovered that I have crappy freedom of movement and many pieces rub and squeak against each other. Why? I just don't have the physique needed to make those pieces fit my body properly. I had to add lots of padding to the torso and the shoulder pieces are always shifting around and rubbing against the torso.
  • The belt, thighs, shins and boots were sized for FIT (all had different scales). Yes, my thighs are too small too but that's if its compared to the proportion of John 117's. I have full freedom of movement. I can sit, kneel, crawl, plank, lay down, get up, tea-bag and drive my stick shift 4x4. No rubbing of pieces, no clanking or squeaking noises. Very little padding and strapping was needed.

Having said that... I also had to redo a lot of parts. The shins were done three times, boots and thighs had to be done twice and currently redoing the wrist plates. (too big)

Fit or Proportioned. It a personal choice. There is no right or wrong and you can mix it up like I did.

From what I can see, you have it sized for fitting your body via the dummy. I would say keep going, your on your way to making a good looking Chief.

I approve of the Crash pads and the SIXSIXONE pressure suit. (subscription +1)

Super Cheers! :)

<lurker mode on>

In all honestly, I have actually never thought of the difference between Fit and Propotioned. I just wanted to look as close to MC as possible. (Dosent everybody on here? lol) I should have thought that everybody has a different body. Long legs, long arms, small chest etc. MC-117 and the others were as close to perfect as Halsey could find. I didn't think about the rubbing and squeaking of the parts either. I'm glad you approve of my gear, got it several years ago, when I was super gung-ho about it, after reading your entire thread, line by line. :$

Today's update: Almost completed the belt. Hoping to have some pictures up tomorrow.
Bye for now.

Remember the Spartans were the ones who survived massive amounts of physical alterations, bone grafting, muscle augmentation etc.. This is on top of intense physical training from the age of 6 or 7 before the augmentations, of which many died from.

The belt is done. It needs to supports but I can finish that tomorrow. This guy has been awake sine 11p last night. Its suppost to be 55 degrees here in NW Indiana. I'm gonna resin the outside of the pieces on Sunday. Hopefully that will be warm enough that it won't mess with the hardening.

IMG_6256_zps47563e96.jpg

Is this belt pocket supposed to be at a slant like that?
IMG_6255_zps7401202a.jpg

But in this picture I can't even tell.
IMG_6254_zpse549d4c5.jpg

The belt is about 1" too small, but that's okay. I had planned on cutting into sections anyways. I see a lot of ppl doing that. How does that work out for you guys? Which do you prefer? 2 Pieces or 4 pieces? (pockets hanging on there own)

Hopefully more pics Sunday PM. Have a great weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_6256_zps47563e96.jpg
    IMG_6256_zps47563e96.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_6254_zpse549d4c5.jpg
    IMG_6254_zpse549d4c5.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_6255_zps7401202a.jpg
    IMG_6255_zps7401202a.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 144
You are asking quite a few of the same questions that I asked myself when I build my own Mk VI. Take a look through my thread, as I went through a lot of trouble to document how I solved/answered many of those questions. Longshot-X's build thread is also very detailed, and more than worth a look as well.

At the very top of the page on the thread, there is a link for "Thread Tools". "Subscribe to this thread" is the last option on the list.

That helped me quite a bit. Thank you very much!

You are asking quite a few of the same questions that I asked myself when I build my own Mk VI. Take a look through my thread, as I went through a lot of trouble to document how I solved/answered many of those questions. Longshot-X's build thread is also very detailed, and more than worth a look as well.

Carpathia, if I had a list of 405th "Hero's/Leaders" list you and LongShot-X would be right at the top. Your respective threads are so helpful and inspiring. The video of you putting on your suit has been up for a while and when I need to get some quick motivation, I usually fast foward to where you are putting it on. I have many pages from this site bookmarked for useful information. The only thing I seem to have trouble finding is how some ppl give their suit a blackwashed look. But I'm gonna keep looking on that.

Today I made a shin and tested it out. WOW! I didn't realize just how small my original really was. I tried an extra 1.5".

IMG_6258_zpsf72f7d4d.jpg
IMG_6257_zps01e74ea9.jpg

Size comparison
IMG_6260_zpsa593c2f6.jpg
IMG_6263_zps334d29c6.jpg

I think its a little large. I felt pretty good about it, until I put my shin on...
IMG_6268_zps4ecb1d79.jpg
IMG_6273_zps5ba68e10.jpg

What do you guys think? Should I make the thigh a little bit smaller along with the shin? I'm not sure why I have the inability to measure myself the same size twice, haha. I have enough pieces to make almost 2 full suits and then STILL have some spare parts. That's it for tonight. Be Safe!

Attachments

• IMG_6258_zpsf72f7d4d.jpg
    IMG_6258_zpsf72f7d4d.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_6257_zps01e74ea9.jpg
    IMG_6257_zps01e74ea9.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_6260_zpsa593c2f6.jpg
    IMG_6260_zpsa593c2f6.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_6263_zps334d29c6.jpg
    IMG_6263_zps334d29c6.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_6268_zps4ecb1d79.jpg
    IMG_6268_zps4ecb1d79.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_6273_zps5ba68e10.jpg
    IMG_6273_zps5ba68e10.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 135
The first one looked good to me. The inner thigh part could be cut away and replaced with foam. Then you could pull it up higher to clear up the knee area for the shins. This will increase flexibility in movement.

The only thing I seem to have trouble finding is how some ppl give their suit a blackwashed look. But I'm gonna keep looking on that.

This tutorial video by Adam is a great place to start.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/2526-Painting-Technique-Version-2?highlight=painting

It covers black washing low areas and dry brushing highlights.

You can also use a super thin black or dark grey and wash it over everything. If you use an oil-based paing for your base color, you might want to use an acrylic (water/alcohol) base for your wash so it doesn't dissolve your base.

Also look up the tooth paste method for weathering. A very basic airbrush can add shadowing.

In short, there is not one right answer. There ARE lots of opinions. Review the different methods and decide which best fits your tastes, budget, skills, time, etc.

Redshirt

Not much progress done today. Resined the shoulders, forearms, handplates and the chest piece. It was a beautiful 65 degrees outside today. I took major advantage of it. Just a reminder to use the CORRECT type of filter for the mask. Found out half way through, my mask has the filter for particles, and not so much fumes... Man, I love headaches...

This tutorial video by Adam is a great place to start.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/2526-Painting-Technique-Version-2?highlight=painting

It covers black washing low areas and dry brushing highlights.

You can also use a super thin black or dark grey and wash it over everything. If you use an oil-based paing for your base color, you might want to use an acrylic (water/alcohol) base for your wash so it doesn't dissolve your base.

Also look up the tooth paste method for weathering. A very basic airbrush can add shadowing.

In short, there is not one right answer. There ARE lots of opinions. Review the different methods and decide which best fits your tastes, budget, skills, time, etc.

Redshirt

Thanks for the video. That is actually one of the pages I have bookmarked. Is the toothpaste method the samet thing as the mustard method?

Just a little update. Didn't have much time today. I just wanted to try it on so I can excite myself. Lol. I had to be super careful and had help putting it on as I didn't harden the inside just yet. Here are some pics.

IMG_6296_zps2cb00a7a.jpg
IMG_6297_zps865bc245.jpg
IMG_6296_zps2cb00a7a.jpg

No more progress until Saturday. :( Working some midnights.... Fun...

Attachments

• IMG_6296_zps2cb00a7a.jpg
    IMG_6296_zps2cb00a7a.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 143
    IMG_6296_zps2cb00a7a.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_6297_zps865bc245.jpg
    IMG_6297_zps865bc245.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 156
    IMG_6296_zps2cb00a7a.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 140
Not bad at all, Spartan. I'd say you have the scale more or less sorted on your parts, though I do worry slightly about that armoured section on your undersuit interfering with the backplate slightly.

looks good so far! What material did you make the visor out of? It looks odd (not in an offensive matter, just unique.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back