Quick Recon Helmet Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveo0521

Quick question. My wife is working on her first helmet. Halo 4 Recon. She's having some diffiicutly with this spot and I can't figure out why its not cooperating, and i've been peping for three years. Can I have some advice that I can give her? What's can I do to fix the situation? Why is it like this? (all numbers on what she has done so far match up)

IMG_6249_zps5c2fc83e.jpg
IMG_6250_zps02770096.jpg

This last image, I'm actually bending the corner of it to fit in. I'm not thrilled with that cause it might/probably throw other parts of the helmet off as she progresses.
IMG_6251_zps9730cc40.jpg

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6249_zps5c2fc83e.jpg
    IMG_6249_zps5c2fc83e.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6250_zps02770096.jpg
    IMG_6250_zps02770096.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_6251_zps9730cc40.jpg
    IMG_6251_zps9730cc40.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 76
This might help you.

Other than that, I would not know since I have not done that helmet before.

Hope it helps though!

That's actually the wrong model, thanks tho.

Which model file are you using? A link to the file itself would help.

I'm not 100% sure how to link the file. The 405th database link that is supplied under your name doesn't have the recon file, and I'm not 100% how to link it myself.

If you haven't already, you can create a 4shared.com account (it's free), upload it there, then share the link.

Ok, looking at the file, that's a funky corner. I consider myself seasoned when it comes to pepping, and I'd have to pay particular attention to that section. It looks as though it's an error in the model, since the other side of the helmet does not push in like that. My advice would be to hold off connecting any of those tabs until you get more pieces built up around it, then get it to fit the best you can, and fix the look in the later steps (resin/bondo). One thing I do see is that the 1120 tab will likely need to be cut down, as it's far too big for the surface it's supposed to be attached to.

Ok, looking at the file, that's a funky corner. I consider myself seasoned when it comes to pepping, and I'd have to pay particular attention to that section. It looks as though it's an error in the model, since the other side of the helmet does not push in like that. My advice would be to hold off connecting any of those tabs until you get more pieces built up around it, then get it to fit the best you can, and fix the look in the later steps (resin/bondo). One thing I do see is that the 1120 tab will likely need to be cut down, as it's far too big for the surface it's supposed to be attached to.

Thank you very much. That will make her feel alot better about it. She wanted to start the whole thing over again because she thought it was an error on her part. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question!

look in pepakura, under settings, go to other settings, click on threshold and raise the angles and see if a line appears on the piece in between 393 and 389. a lot of the times the unfolder will reduce the threshold to get rid of lines on the pep model. if a line appears more than likely a fold belongs there. if you choose to redo the helmet, look through the pep model and look for tiny folds like this one and move the flap to the small side. hope this helps.

Crimmson, that's actually one of the things I checked. No line appears, it is indeed a flat plane.

Crimmson, that's actually one of the things I checked. No line appears, it is indeed a flat plane.

well now what. in past builds that have similar problems like this(or problem areas for me) I have just built the helmet and then filled in the area with custom cut pieces. other than contacting the original modeler and asking him or her to fix it and then rebuild the piece over. I don't know what advice to offer. once again Carpathia thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back