Flying Spartans Multiplayer Mark VI WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russett

Shared Files

Download - H1&H3 Bungie Rocket Launcher - Unfold by FlyingSpartan
Note: I take no credit for this model in any way, shape, or form. It was a direct rip from Halo PC created by Bungie

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Okay where do i start? i guess i can start off by saying this build has been on the shelf for a few years now, no joke heres a picture i posted a while back in the Combat Evolved Mark V thread
img0017yb.jpg

And second i decided to go ahead and cheat a little bit, yes that is a H3 Legendary Edition helmet. It looked pretty good with the chest and fits my head perfectly so i thought why not.

Heres a shot of the bust with the helmet and my temporary work area, yes it fits like a glove so far.
5f2i.jpg

There is a tiny bit of warping. no one has noticed but i sure did, took about a week or so fixing it, she looks pretty shiny now.
The detail work. i guess one word you could use is "ridiculous"! There's so many finicky, tedious details that even the HD models dont have, i did my damn best to replicate them

Here is a shot of the in-game ..uhh i guess you can call it the chest key? and the rendered E3 teaser of the chiefs
zxrm.png

With these shots and a few other angles of it in the game i was able to come up with this freehand drawing that got cut up for templates and layers of cardboard.
czpm.png

Did the same with some other parts too
fm7t.jpg

qnnv.jpg

So heres where im at as of last week
yau4.jpg

vm3m.jpg

Getting smoother everyday

Ah! this part was pretty fun! i had to cut out the bottom, back part of the armor. I'm gonna call it the staircase lol. I decided to do that because first it was a bit warped, second i didn't want to go through hours of sanding and filling just to fix the warp, and third it just didn't look right to me
Here's an in-game shot of it
8olw.jpg

Based off that, i was able to pull off a pattern. it was a bit of a process, but i'm happy with the results
s1mh.jpg

zjfi.jpg

13s88.jpg

I water-glued over it a couple times to give it that smooth-edge effect to emulate the in-game version, same will be done with some of the other parts i did like the back of the head on the torso.
dfbs.jpg

That's pretty much all i have to post right now, i have pepped and resin'd the other parts except the shins/boots, but i'm gonna post them later when i move on to them and actually get some progress. I'm sure everyone has seen the peps a million times before.

-FS2014

Last edited by a moderator:
The details came out great. Fantastic work.

On another note, thanks for your work/posting on your Mark V. It's been a awesome motivation and reference for my first build.

That is an awesome idea pepping the main body of the armor and then using foam and layering for the details like that. I was only going to do that on the insides of my thighs!

(Good thing we are all mature cosplayers here, or there would be giggles at that last sentence.)

The details came out great. Fantastic work.

On another note, thanks for your work/posting on your Mark V. It's been a awesome motivation and reference for my first build.

Thank you very much! Its so cool having forum members and other cosplayers for the inspiration, i don't know how far i would be without you, everyone!
BTW i'm digging that paint booth setup of yours! Might have to take you up on that and build one myself, hard to paint in Canada this time of year ;)

That is an awesome idea pepping the main body of the armor and then using foam and layering for the details like that. I was only going to do that on the insides of my thighs!

(Good thing we are all mature cosplayers here, or there would be giggles at that last sentence.)

Yeah the details make it look sexy ;) , I tend to detail with foam on areas that wont get bumped around a lot, all the details on the chest armor itself are made of multiple thicknesses of cardboard/cardstock.
I tried detailing with foam before around the lights of my mark V helmet but it didn't give it as much of a sharp finish after painting and got bumped around then got dents in it.

Update 2 - Chest progress and shopping day

Got a few things done this weekend! spent Friday afternoon and evening working on the chest, Oh and before i start rambling on about progress i thought id show you how i get a quick accurate copy of the face i freehand details. I guess you could just print it out from Pepakura, i just think this is faster and more accurate to the edges that may have been sanded out already.

- I like to start out by taping a piece of plain old paper, computer paper, lined paper anything you have handy, and tape it the the face you want to detail.
- Next i run my finger around the edge a few times so you can see where the paper folds and the edge meet.
- Then i freehand draw constantly referencing to in-game images and renders estimating the measurements
- Last you should glue the drawing down on a piece of cardstock, dry, then cut out and use that for a template for any thickness cardboard
Again i am learning and any helpful hints and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated, heck even share your methods of problem solving :)

e65b.jpg
xh6h.jpg

The chest needed a few more things done, so i started out by using a dremel tool to cut out the lights then the vents on either side. I may install a set of speakers there ;)
Oh, those straight lines on the sides of each vent can be accomplished using a steel ruler and the appropriate size dremel bit, but i don't install the bit in the dremel, just use the bit itself and run it back and forth on the area a few times to give it a groove, same thing i did on the assault rifle in the mark V thread.
Anyway i primed the chest and drew out where the armor needed to be spit. After i did that i went over it and spot puttied again to make sure i had everything very smooth looking. After that i cut it in half with the dremel.

azpt.jpg
cj7t.jpg

va5p.jpg
8sdn9.jpg

97uc.jpg
foa4.jpg
4txs.jpg

Update 2 - Chest progress and shopping day Continued

Saturday morning! No cartoons for me though, i had other plans. Today was shopping day! It turned out to be a pretty interesting day too!
I ran across the city in search for a few things. First, i have discovered a Star Wars clone wars helmet that i have found at a local flea market. I have seen these at Wal-Mart and Ebay/Amazon and such before, but this gave me an opportunity to try one out un-boxed. There is a small microphone in it and it actually sounds like radio transmissions when you speak. Its cool because you have to hold down the button to speak and the in/out sound sounds awesome! So at $25 for this used one i decided it was a good bargain and took it home to clean up and take apart. I hope you know here i'm going with this :p
Here's a shot of it, i'm sure everyone has seen them before
ldlk.jpg

The next thing i head out to find old HDD's for the rare earth magnets i plan on installing in the chest armor. I remember reading/seeing Longshot's and Cereal's Mark VI thread and their methods of armor Attachment. If you haven't seen through those threads yet i highly recommend that you do! I've learned quite a few tricks from these both and seeing how they put things together is just awesome.
Anyway i decided i didn't want to spend the time to take apart a HDD and just did a quick Google search for where rare earth magnets are sold and i found a place called LeeValley. They have some of the greatest tools i have ever seen in that store btw! you should check them out too! So i picked up a pack of 5 earth magnets for about $9. I seen this in their catalog too, a sampler pack to test out different sizes with more or less pulling force. I'm pretty sure you can order this Online at their website too.
wk4p.jpg

After that was taken care of i went over to the mall and picked up some molding materials at the art store
(you will see where i am going with this later but just for fun, take a guess haha!)
5nn0.jpg

So then I made a trip over to Home Depot to pick up some felt blanket, two 3in. steel T-plates, and 4 bolts. So now im sure i have everything i need for mounting the chest together
mrcn.jpg

While i was still there i had to also pick up some duct tape, disposable coveralls, disposable gloves some 3/4' PVC pipe (eight T's, four 45's, two pipes @ approx 8ft) and the solvent cement for it. So now i'm sure i have everything i need to put together a duct tape dummy so i can get working on the under-suit soon
y3ts.jpg

The Last and final stop was the beer store then home. Today was a good day :)
So here's a drink to you guys! Remember, i'm rooting for you, we're all in this together!

Warning on the arms I just found. Making a 45 at the elbow makes the upper arm armor and undersuit pieces almost impossible to put on. It is great to see the elbow joint though. To fix this I am planning on cutting the arms off at the shoulder joint and making them removable.joint
Edit: Just realized you could cut at the elbow instead of the shoulder. Not sure if an undershirt would still for if cut only at elbow.

You seem to have a pretty good idea what you're doing, but that mold builder stuff sucks. I hope you have a technique I don't know about so I can use it in the future, but I have never successfully pulled that stuff off.

The rest of your build is excellent however! It's not often that I see a mark vi build that I want to see concluded, but your work is so clean I can't get enough of it. Keep it going man!

Warning on the arms I just found. Making a 45 at the elbow makes the upper arm armor and undersuit pieces almost impossible to put on. It is great to see the elbow joint though. To fix this I am planning on cutting the arms off at the shoulder joint and making them removable.joint
Edit: Just realized you could cut at the elbow instead of the shoulder. Not sure if an undershirt would still for if cut only at elbow.

Yeah i know what you mean, i used a heatgun to bend the arms/legs to sit more naturally
But i also didn't cement some parts together, like the feet and the shoulders.
It seems to solved my problem to get it dressed ;)

You seem to have a pretty good idea what you're doing, but that mold builder stuff sucks. I hope you have a technique I don't know about so I can use it in the future, but I have never successfully pulled that stuff off.

The rest of your build is excellent however! It's not often that I see a mark vi build that I want to see concluded, but your work is so clean I can't get enough of it. Keep it going man!

Yup it really does. the drying time and application is so annoying
So i switched to this blue/white silly putty stuff that mixes together, that worked great!
Thanks for the comment :) wanna make this thing as pretty as possible

Anyway not much of an update, Added a few more details to the chest and still more to clean up, don't have any pics of that at the moment.
Been pretty busy working on other projects and getting the old suit ready for a 4 day Comicon binge this Thursday to Sunday. My brother requested a Keaton mask from Zelda
Threw it together in a couple hours, Made of foam, Cut up the pepakura file for templates
yellow plasti-dipped and sharpied :)
(Tip: Air freshener on paper towel is REALLY good for cleaning up sharpie smudges)

72v9v.jpg
qg27.jpg

If anyone is interested I have uploaded the pepakura file of it here
[url]https://www.mediafire.com/?ei6lc41kd0ay0ta[/URL]

Update 3 - Chest progress, Re-connection

Been slowly working away on this project, Really busy couple weeks so i haven't got the chance to really touch it.
Got the chest back together though! I've decided to add magnets in the bottom portion, And on the top portion I've noticed people having problems with with their chest falling even with magnets in so they'd add a Velcro strap either on top or underneath. So after thinking about it for a couple days I figured it would be a good idea to add what this part was designed for; Buckles, seat belt buckles to be exact. so I scrapped the magnet idea for the top and headed over to the auto wreckers and managed to dig up some old-style buckles. I went with the older style just because the shape of the button was perfect!

IMG_2155.jpg

I pre-measured the button before i made the cut-out, just wanted to make sure it would work. so far, so good.

IMG_2158.jpg

Before i started glassing it in there, i went ahead and sealed up any seams, holes, and openings with a bit of hot glue.

IMG_2165.jpg

Oh and i also added strips of Mighty Putty around to seal it and to clean up around the cut-out

IMG_2166.jpg

I'd say its pretty sturdy now, and it looks great!

IMG_2167.jpg

Figured I'd show what it looks like on me... also just joking around and making fun of selfies..? selfys? (thats how its spelled right? lol)

IMG_2175.jpg
IMG_2177.jpg

Hey! Still wondering how tough it is?
I've taken a video just to show everyone :)

Direct Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA-ls3I90u0

So far, its a bit more complex to put together than my last build.
But ill stand my ground, and i wont back down. Keep watchin' :)

-Tom

IMG_2155.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2177.jpg

I thought I'd show you one of the weapons i will be using, the Rocket Launcher.
Spent last night ripping the file from the game and unfolding it in Pepakura
If anyone is interested, i have posted a download link for the file at the top of Page 1
Also here - Download
BungieRocketLauncher.png

Note: I take no credit for this model in any way, shape, or form. It was a direct rip from Halo PC created by Bungie

I thought i would make a mini build thread as a spin-off of this thread, as i will not be posting progress of the weapon here.
Because I figured it would be appropriate to put it in Weapons and Props for people who use search for a specific build.

H1/H3 Bungie Rocket Launcher

BungieRocketLauncher.png

Update 4 - Visor progress

Slow week with the build, been focused more on the rocket launcher. I have almost all the armor parts pepped only a few to go.
So the original visor that came in my Legendary Edition helmet has went missing, pretty sure it was thrown out. So i went ahead and found a second helmet off Kijiji and taken upon myself to get the visor out. There's a REALLY good video explaining step-by-step how to take these things apart, its like a puzzle. If you haven't dismantled one before i recommend you watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAPrBQ4-2Yo

So bear with me here, the reason I'm doing this is because i much rather keep the bubble appearance and not have to worry about building dual layer visors. So i figured i would get a mold of the visor and toss it on a vacuum-former.
Here's some pretty pictures <3

IMG_2045.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

A little cleaning up to do, but that's okay, i only needed the one pull
I plan on using amber/burnt orange sheets followed by Mirrachrome
Or spraying clear visors with orange Dupli-Color Metalcast followed by Mirrachrome

Any suggestions are great help, i have never done this before so its kind of a learning process for me.
More soon! <3

IMG_2045.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

Good job on paying attention to all the close detail. :p I'm doing the same with my Hayabusa build, and because of that, it's going to take me a LONG time to finish it. XD lol Using the belt buckles is an interesting way to put the two halves together. I've seen other methods used.

The 12 inch McFarlane Master Chief figure also helps as an aid for detail. So does the Master Chief Kotobukiya statue. I've been using both of those as my reference help. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back