[RELEASE] Halo 4 Armour Assets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I unfolded the Soldier file that Ted cleaned up!

Good work mate! I imagine in no time, all of those files will be ready for crafting.

The day is almost here. I can hardly wait. Thanks for the contribution, and impressive work as usual. You're one of the best unfolders out there!

----

After typing the message above, I realized my signature is now outdated. My Organizer and portfolio are kinda useless now... which isn't bad at all, actually, it's great because I have less work to do.

Then, i got thinking about my Halo 4 file organizer. For a split second I thought about making a new one but Arcanine is doing a VERY good job with keeping things in order, so I figured: maybe I can update my organizer for unfolders to look at when wondering how to burn spare time.

Since the burden of modeling has been lifted off the modelers now, it's time for the unfolders to take the front line. Maybe I can make things easier, as I've attempted before with the original Organizer.

What I'm thinking is: Same format, same deal. I've optimized my list over the years so it'll be no problem. Just an update overhaul, featuring the files that have been unfolded and still raw from the asset extraction. simple. The tool is created for unfolders to use as a checklist-type guideline to point them towards which files to unfold next.

What do you guys think? It'll be hosted on my other thread like before, except now it'll actually be complete one day! If Arcanine is already going a tracker type organizer already, great! again, less work for me... but I wanted to make life easier for other people without having to stress myself with the hell that is unfolding... which at least is in my opinion.

Anybody want it done? Again, thanks to all those unfolders out there who are moving things along. I'd imagine if everybody unfold one piece of armor they liked, the whole armory would be complete and we would have more SPIVs running around.

Okay, so after reading this I came to realize these OBJ files contain the UV layout information corresponding to the texture image files. I'm sure this is fairly rudimentary stuff but I'm pretty excited to be learning it. Last night I was trying to define new seams and manually adjust the layout to the texture file which seemed like a very daunting task.

Yep. The .OBJ files contain the UV map data straight in, so in Blender, it's simply a case of having a UV/Image Editor area opened up, and going into Edit mode on your model. Then, apply the relevant named texture as required (Image > Open Image in the UV/Image Editor area) - no manual map applying needed. All of this will be covered in my Blender Modelling Tutorial - which has fallen by the wayside a little, but only due to this venture.

Don't I just make things easy on you? :)

Thanks for the contribution, and impressive work as usual. You're one of the best unfolders out there!

Oh scotsmin you. Thank you for the complement :$

Anybody want it done? Again, thanks to all those unfolders out there who are moving things along. I'd imagine if everybody unfold one piece of armor they liked, the whole armory would be complete and we would have more SPIVs running around.

I think it would be a great resource to have! I can already tell with Halogoddess's, MS7's and my unfolds that we all post here, even though we still post to our own portfolios, everything is being somewhat jumbled up. We have unfolded pieces on several pages and for someone who doesnt know that we have our own portfolio they would have to scan page by page.

As an unfolder I dont find it hard to know what has already been started yet simply because not many files are at that stage but someday it might get that hard to follow and it would be nice to have a checklist to know whats going on.

I think it would be a great resource to have! I can already tell with Halogoddess's, MS7's and my unfolds that we all post here, even though we still post to our own portfolios, everything is being somewhat jumbled up. We have unfolded pieces on several pages and for someone who doesnt know that we have our own portfolio they would have to scan page by page.

As an unfolder I dont find it hard to know what has already been started yet simply because not many files are at that stage but someday it might get that hard to follow and it would be nice to have a checklist to know whats going on.

I actually started a thread where I am putting all my unfolds of various Halo files. I am going down the list and I am just to unfold a bunch of stuff so I can upload more at once then post more files at one time, rather than one at a time.

But as for that UV map texture...thingy that I see some people are using, I have NO idea how that works. XD lol I am just opening the file in Blender, remove any "doubles" then I open it in pepakura and start unfolding. :p

But as for that UV map texture...thingy that I see some people are using, I have NO idea how that works. XD lol I am just opening the file in Blender, remove any "doubles" then I open it in pepakura and start unfolding. :p

I already explained, I do believe. If you're curious, here's the process:

> Open Blender
> Split off a new area
> Switch Editor type in the new area to 'UV/Image Editor'
> Import model
> In 3D View window, switch view type to 'Textured'
> Select model, hit TAB to enter Edit mode
> UV map will appear in UV/Image Editor
> Select corresponding UV map (Image > Open Image)
> Enjoy

It really is that simple.

I already explained, I do believe. If you're curious, here's the process:

> Open Blender
> Split off a new area
> Switch Editor type in the new area to 'UV/Image Editor'
> Import model
> In 3D View window, switch view type to 'Textured'
> Select model, hit TAB to enter Edit mode
> UV map will appear in UV/Image Editor
> Select corresponding UV map (Image > Open Image)
> Enjoy

It really is that simple.
Okay, it took me about 20 minutes to figure all that out, but I don't know what image to open. o_O I don't seem to have an image I need. :\

Okay, it took me about 20 minutes to figure all that out, but I don't know what image to open. o_O I don't seem to have an image I need. :\

Everything's in the Modeller's Pack. Find the model you want to import, import it. Then, when you're looking for the relevant texture, it will be in the corresponding folder to the piece you imported.

Everything's in the Modeller's Pack. Find the model you want to import, import it. Then, when you're looking for the relevant texture, it will be in the corresponding folder to the piece you imported.
Ah, okay found that so I guess now I can import the image in Blender now, but I don't understand the purpose of adding the texture image. :\ Is it supposed to make unfolding the file easier or something??

Ah, okay found that so I guess now I can import the image in Blender now, but I don't understand the purpose of adding the texture image. :\ Is it supposed to make unfolding the file easier or something??

No, it's for modelling the details not already on the model mesh. For HD models.

No, it's for modelling the details not already on the model mesh. For HD models.
OH! That.......would be something I can't/don't know how to do. :\ That is why I was unfolding them already. I just removed any doubles on the model in Blender and then went to pepakura to unfold it. I just figured they were low def files.

I have unfolded the Warrior, and Mk VI (Halo 3 flavor) however the floating faces on the Mk VI had some issues and by the time version 4 came around they were just two floating faces and left a note of how to fix them in the file. I also redid the Soldier unfold after some tips. I wont post the pics just to save space but you can see them in the portfolio in my signature.

Soldier: http://www.4shared.com/file/uo1O5gCOce/soldier_helmet_unfolded.html?
Warrior: http://www.4shared.com/file/8jNElqJ8ba/Halo_4_Warrior.html?
Mk VI (Halo 3): http://www.4shared.com/file/PVKHLdeZba/Halo_4_Mk_VI_Halo_3_flavor.html?

I'm really enjoying messing around with renders using the modeling assets :) I'm not sure how to add color in 3DS Max so I just went in with Photoshop and colored on an Overly layer.

recon_render_zps3a9dcd7d.jpg

recon_render_color_zps524a1160.jpg

Attachments

• recon_render_zps3a9dcd7d.jpg
    recon_render_zps3a9dcd7d.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 195
  • recon_render_color_zps524a1160.jpg
    recon_render_color_zps524a1160.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 194
Well I downloaded blender and have been trying to learn the ways of the model. As you can see from said image of the LG 50 shin.

Model_zps3a930306.jpg

I have learned how to texture, separate, and make flat supports. To be honest I like the gray default color of the texture its very interesting.

Attachments

• Model_zps3a930306.jpg
    Model_zps3a930306.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 190
To be honest I like the gray default color of the texture its very interesting.

Ah ha... haa... 'default', you say.

[TECHNICAL DISCUSSION INBOUND - IGNORE IF YOU'RE UNINTERESTED]

Halo 4 handles colour change maps a lot differently to the previous Halo titles. Previously, each model had one dedicated 'base' texture (grey/white) and one 'cc' texture that held all the alpha channel details needed to apply colour variations (typically for multiplayer armour models). In Halo 4, however, these textures were merged into one file - one channel dealt with the base colours, another dealt with the alpha channels. While this reduces the file size of each texture map and removes the requirement for multiple files, it also means the default texture is somewhat less end-user ready.

For example:

LtacoH2.png

Suddenly the LG50 Bulk texture file doesn't look so appetising. So, I use a program to batch-convert the model from .TIF to .JPG format, and turn the file black-and-white for ease of use.

For those interested, I am willing to put together a pack of original, un-converted textures. If anybody knows how to use these textures to colour change their models, I'd love to know.

Attachments

• LtacoH2.png
    LtacoH2.png
    630.8 KB · Views: 184
Ah ha... haa... 'default', you say.

If anybody knows how to use these textures to colour change their models, I'd love to know.
Default, yep, laughed a little as well.

Straight from HM to you:
Obviously, for 3ds only - might be some equivalent in blender, but I don't use it, so can't say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Default, yep, laughed a little as well.

Straight from HM to you:
Obviously, for 3ds only - might be some equivalent in blender, but I don't use it, so can't say.

I've seen that video, I have it bookmarked. It's still not much help, so a full walkthrough would be very nice at some point [hint hint].

Last edited by a moderator:
For those interested, I am willing to put together a pack of original, un-converted textures. If anybody knows how to use these textures to colour change their models, I'd love to know.

I'd love grabbing those .TIF files from you.

I'd love grabbing those .TIF files from you.

I'm putting together a pack now. The last few days have been hectic, to say the least - do you mind having those files in raw, mis-named format (some armour names are labelled under their development titles, and not their actual, finished title) or would you like me to give the files their corresponding names?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back