Jim Henson's Creature Shop show

Status
Not open for further replies.

glasscutter

Jr Member
Is anyone else watching this show? Watching the creatures being built is giving me all kinds of ideas for different mediums and effects.

I've had to watch it through the On DEmand channel because there's too much other stuff recording on the DVR. So I've only been able to see the first two episodes so far. Still, definitely gets the creative impulses going, and makes me wish I had their workshop to build armor in. lol.

what channel? because if it's anything like cosmos I'd be all over it.
It's on Syfy, and it's a competition for who will be the next person to join the team at Jim Henson's "Creature Shop," the group responsible for building the Skeksis in The Dark Crystal, Salacious Crumb in Return of the Jedi, the goblins in Labyrinth, just to name a few. Each week the contestants are given an assignment and have a set amount of time to build their creature, then they do an actual screen test to see how well it moves and such.

I think it's awesome kind of glad that one chick who wouldn't shut up is gone :D but I still love Face Off more

I feel like this is a spin off of face off.

Somewhat the same idea, only with the Jim Henson twist, which basically means they're not looking to make humanoids, but rather to make creatures that can be puppetted while completely concealing the puppeteer so it looks like it's a real creature. So, Face Off on steroids I guess.

It is kinda the same format as Face Off. I like them both. The things they do on Creature Shop are a lot closer to making armor and costumes though. I will never have the money or space to be doing Face Off sculpting etc.. Not to mention my sculpting ability is horrible lol.

Somewhat the same idea, only with the Jim Henson twist, which basically means they're not looking to make humanoids, but rather to make creatures that can be puppetted while completely concealing the puppeteer so it looks like it's a real creature. So, Face Off on steroids I guess.

I don't know dude in Face Off they have to sculpt and in many cases fabricate as well and the Face Off make ups are harder to apply. Oh well who cares both shows are awesome :D try and imagine if you had all the supplies they do that would be so awesome!

I don't know dude in Face Off they have to sculpt and in many cases fabricate as well and the Face Off make ups are harder to apply. Oh well who cares both shows are awesome :D try and imagine if you had all the supplies they do that would be so awesome!

Haven't watched a full episode of Face Off yet. Do they do a screen test, too? Cameras rolling and everything. From what little I have seen, Face Off contestants do have the benefit of not needing to completely conceal their model, just "enhance" them to fit the theme. With Creature Shop, you don't want there to be any indication that there's a person inside at all, so it has to completely conceal the model/puppeteer while still being able to move realistically and not be too much of a burden (first week someone got eliminated because their creature was so heavy and ungainly it nearly suffocated the puppeteer, and the second episode someone basically got bonus points because their Skeksis only weight like 18 lbs total).

Either way, it's a great show thus far. Syfy has been coming out with a few gems lately, like Fangasm, Heroes of Cosplay...I just really, really, really wish they had brought back Dream Machines. I would love to see the Parker Brother's build something Halo themed. That's actually right near the top of my "if I win big money" to-do list: commission them to make a street legal Brute Chopper, "field modded" of course.

Face Off is creature creation, but almost all of their work involves creating prosthetics to put on an actor. Mostly sculpting on a body/head cast of the actor, creating a mold, and then casting a latex or foam prosthetic to apply to the actor.

Haven't watched a full episode of Face Off yet. Do they do a screen test, too? Cameras rolling and everything. From what little I have seen, Face Off contestants do have the benefit of not needing to completely conceal their model, just "enhance" them to fit the theme. With Creature Shop, you don't want there to be any indication that there's a person inside at all, so it has to completely conceal the model/puppeteer while still being able to move realistically and not be too much of a burden (first week someone got eliminated because their creature was so heavy and ungainly it nearly suffocated the puppeteer, and the second episode someone basically got bonus points because their Skeksis only weight like 18 lbs total).

Either way, it's a great show thus far. Syfy has been coming out with a few gems lately, like Fangasm, Heroes of Cosplay...I just really, really, really wish they had brought back Dream Machines. I would love to see the Parker Brother's build something Halo themed. That's actually right near the top of my "if I win big money" to-do list: commission them to make a street legal Brute Chopper, "field modded" of course.
Dude you have to watch a full episode of Face Off they have their make ups fine tooth comb checked by three famous make up artist, Glenn Hetrick who's works include The Hunger Games, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Heroes, The X-Files, and he's a custom designer for Lady Gaga, Ve Neill who's works include Pirates of the Caribbean, Edward Scissorhands and see won an Academy Award for he make up on Beetlejuice, Neville Page who's works include Watchmen, the new Star Trek, TRON Legacy, Cloverfield, and Avatar he's also designed creatures for Green Lantern, Prometheus, and TRON Legacy, so their make ups must be perfect and all this information comes to you from Wikipedia :) . I hope you win big money if your going to have a Brute Chopper built, all I need is a Jeep and metal and I could have a warthog made :D . By the way was Heroes of Cosplay canceled?

Heroes wasn't canceled so much as it reached the end of the season. According to their facebook page (at least last time I checked) they are planning another season, but they need a few conventions to get material from first I'd imagine.

what is fangasm It just sounds wrong... seen heroes of cosplay quite a bit I just can't see doing cosplay for a living like the I must win so I can pay my bills. and I don't know if the chrome shop mafia would build a brute chopper, plus driving that beast would be hard to due to the damn wheel is like the whole thing. I think a prowler would be better due to you could hide a lot under that frame.

Fangasm followed 7 interns vying for full employment with Stan Lee's Komikaze staff. Not the typical "reality show" so much as just following what they're doing.

And yea, the Chopper would need a bit of modification to make it work in the real world, namely to put another wheel in the back since anti-grav technology doesn't exist in that capacity.

oh now I see, I guess it's a lot like watching evagelion 3.33 and seeing the beast mode of unit 2 in the end (which if anyone does that i'll give you ten bucks.)

I mean it went from this...

IMG_0261.jpg

to this..

500px-Unit-02%27%CE%B3_%28Beast_Mode%29.png

in like ten seconds so yeah it was epic.

I mean if they can do this on the show I'd watch it all the time.

Attachments

• IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 215
  • 500px-Unit-02%27%CE%B3_%28Beast_Mode%29.png
    500px-Unit-02%27%CE%B3_%28Beast_Mode%29.png
    149.4 KB · Views: 266
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back