Armor Molding and slush casting with Foam???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiden26

So I was was wondering, how do you mold armor? The pieces I'm thinking about molding is the Torso, Forearm, Bicep, Hand plate and Shoulder. Now regarding casting. Is there anything Foam/Rubber related to do slush casting with? So the armor is for my films and I don't want to use straight out pepakura because its to hard and restricting in some areas. EVA Foam is to thick. I want to make the armor comfortable and have alot of mobility. If you know any product please replay back. Any help is appreciated hanks!

I forgot to mention. For foam/Rubber materials, I hoping to find something that wont break easily because actors will be falling and doing other stunts.

Yes there are also multiple threads of builds using moulds to create more flexible parts, Thorssoli's Mark 6 build is one of which.
Also, stickies are a good thing to read if you have never used casting and/or molding products before,
Your best bet for info would be the Molded Armor Discussion under the Creation Discussion thread, or google which is my best friend lol
And I agree with mkshane81, Smooth-On products would be a great option

Hey, I have a question about slush casting, do any of you guys know a cheap way to slush cast? Because last time I checked smooth-cast 320 costs 80$+ for their 1-1 ratio and the shipping isn't included in the price

An alternative to shelling out a great deal of money to make "stunt grade" armor for your film would be to take a cue from Hollywood, and have one semi-durable suit for "basic" actions, and then a handful of "spares" made from your most affordable option, preferably a cheap enough option to offset the fact that these spares will ultimately be disposable.. When it's time for a fall, have the actor put on one of the cheap spares, take their fall, toss off the "dummy" piece after the shot, and put on their "show" piece. For most action movies that require performing stunts, etc. in armor or intricate costumes, most studios will make anywhere from half a dozen to nearly a hundred cheap run-offs of the "show quality" ensemble so they have something to fall back on (or simply, to fall in) that won't cost an arm and a leg to replace or repair. Granted, those studios generally would still have much higher budgets to work with than anyone here has, but the principle can still apply. Not sure anyone's found a good building/reinforcing method that would churn out true stunt-grade armor without costing upwards of $1,000 for one suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back