Need Help with Pepakura Mask Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

DD117

Jr Member
Ok guys, I have been at this model for 3 days now and I am so unsuccessful with that after much cutting and folding, the model just will not work out for me. So I need help. Below is a link to a mask I plan to mask from a video game, but it seems that the model and folding areas seem to be out of place so I need to know what I did wrong and I need help with it. Did I use the wrong type of cardstock? Did I fold certain areas wrong? Or did I do something else? If you guys here on the 405th could assist me, that would be great. The link to the file is below.

Wanted Weapons of Fate Killer Mask
http://www.4shared.com/file/143477020/f06c6409/wanted.html

Note: I don't have photos of my previous model due to destroying it through frustration of building the whole thing. So basically tell me what I did wrong and what I need to do.

Okay, I downloaded the model and am looking at it now.......

The model itself looks correct. I don't see anything out of place at all. However, I DO see something that can be fixed. Gimme a bit and I'll get you a new one.......

EDIT: Wait, I do see ONE little area that needs to be fixed in Blender. That won't take me long at all. :)

Oh my god, you are a life saver!!!! How much do I owe you?
Owe me? You don't owe me anything.......except your soul! MWAHAHAHAHAAAA

j/k :p LOL

Anyway, I fixed the model, added a small area for better support and I am working on a new unfold of the model now. :)

Oh, do you think you could try to explain what didn't look right on the one you built?

Oh, I have a LONG day at work tomorrow and I need my sleep, so I will get the file to you tomorrow. :)

Well I was building the little cylinders on the sides of the mask. it looked good at first until I did the ends of it, things started to warp around and I did not like it. I tried fixing it only making things worse as I continued on. Doing those cylinder builds was the problem. But that is what was on the first page and the second page. So I did the entire build pages in numerical order. I should have done the eyes and the front first. But I wanted to get the hard stuff out of the way first.

Ok here is the pic I managed to take of one of the intact cylinders, the other one is...long gone now. So Now that you have seen this crap. What do I need to do to correct this? Im looking to the experts for this one while I wait for HaloGoddess for a new file.

20140407_133052_zps5a8135d4.jpg

Attachments

• 20140407_133052_zps5a8135d4.jpg
    20140407_133052_zps5a8135d4.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 222
Well, for starters, I don't know if you were being quick or taking your time with the fold lines, but when it comes to pepakura, patience is a virtue. ;) You need A LOT of patience when doing this to ensure that everything is nice and crisp. It doesn't really look like you were trying to do the folding by just simply trying to bend the paper where the line is. Work slow, steady and carefully. I have noticed that using super glue on the tiny glue tabs work great. As long as you have steady hands and can ensure that you line it up just right when you glue it in place.

Also, here is the new file: http://www.4shared.com/file/-lnexpLVce/WantedFaceMask.html

I added some support struts to help hold the shape better when you get to harden it and you do NOT need to harden the struts. :p Those are just there to keep it from warping. Once you stiffened it up, you can simply cut those off. :)

Yeah well when I try to be steady, My hands get shaky. So the key here is to relax. I also learned I need better cardstock cause some of those fold lines are really hard to see. Especially when using blue card stock.

I have essential tremors so I feel your pain about shaky hands. What i do its anchor my arms at the wrist or elbow. For example when cutting I do short cuts with my arms flat on the table. When piecing together I anchor the arms by keeping both elbows on the table or forearms against the table edge. Cutting and scoring with a ruler works too.

For scoring i use the backside of an exacto knife. Try and line up the numbers better also. Having a small gap on one spot builds up the error until it's a massive error in the piece. Hope that helps some.

Thats a good technique. I think I'll try that with this second attempt. But I just hope I can do this so called fiberglassing and bondo trick. but maybe there is another way since its a mask. any suggestions?

The cardstock you should be using is 110lb. It's not hard to find. I bought mine from walmart for about $6 for a ream of it. One thing that helps to get crisp fold lines is to use a metal ruler and an exacto knife. Line the ruler right next to the fold line and using the exacto knife (NOT the side with the blade) and apply a little pressure and go over the fold line with the exacto knife. This creates a small indentation and will make the folds MUCH more nicer. :)

Also, the only other hardening method I can think of is "rondo". It's a mixture of resin and bondo, however, it can add quite a bit of weight and you might not want that for your mask. You want to keep it as light as possible. Just resin the outside to stiffen the paper. Apply fiberglass to the inside and this will help give it the strength you need and not add a lot of weight. Using a dremmel tool will help to cut and trim and fiberglass that extends out of the mask. You MIGHT be able to get away with not having to use a whole lot of bondo. Just apply it where you think you need it on the outside and sand to shape and make smooth. :)

People also use smooth cast, but from what I hear, that stuff has to be ordered and may cost more than what you want to spend.

Ok Ill stop by on my lunch break and get some. And thank you for your help and advice. its really helpful.

One method I've had success with when pepping out cylinders is to score and fold the complete part, then before gluing the cylindrical part to the mask, connect the open ends of the cylinder. Then glue the tabs into place on the base part. Repeat this process for the rest of the circular pieces. This should ensure that the pieces are perfectly round and should help eliminate the edges not lining up. I hope this makes sense haha.

HALOGODDESS: You are right, since its a mask project, I may have to use the resin and fiberglassing trick. Ive looked at the tutorials. It looks pretty simple but I could be wrong.

Sorry about all this guys. Im a first time prop builder...

HALOGODDESS: You are right, since its a mask project, I may have to use the resin and fiberglassing trick. Ive looked at the tutorials. It looks pretty simple but I could be wrong.

Sorry about all this guys. Im a first time prop builder...
It sort of is pretty simple, but the fiberglass is just a pain in the butt to work with. XD That's why I'm happy to have been able to switch to foam. :p Just remember to put the fiberglass on the INSIDE and NOT the outside since you can lose your details that way. D:

I know that. This will be my first time using this method. Just wish there was something a little bit more easier to work with.

If you want alternatives, why not foam? Those cylinders would be much easier in foam I would think. You could always reinforce the foam with cloth/glue if required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back