HALOSPRTAN's Master chief Halo 4 suit WIP *First Build*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it resolved itself as you continued building. Awesome looking pep, can't wait too see more!

I don't see the warping issue after completion. Looks good. Nice job.

Looks like it resolved itself as you continued building. Awesome looking pep, can't wait too see more!
Thanks guys, the warp fixed itself and it turned out to be very symmetrical. by far my hardest pep yet, next is the chestpiece. i have already printed it out and am going to start tonight.
Updates soon

I am so frustrated, i want to start my chest piece, but i did my own unfold and havent purchased pepakura designer yet, so i cant export and save. i unfold on my desktop, but i use a laptop for reference when building. and i cant get it on my laptop, no way im unfolding again. And to top it off, tama software server is under maintinence so i cant purchase...:angry

I plan on finishing my master chief helmet by maker faire and wear it to there. it may be in unachievable goal, but that is what i have set. hope i can make it.

I think 29 days might be juuuuust enough to finish up the helmet.
i think that will be the case, but i need to get my proper paints, but i have a shop in my garage so i dont need to worry about the house smelling like chemicals when i work, which takes the weather limitation off my hands.

Update!!! I was able to do my coat of resin on the outside and fiberglassed the inside. I am using aqua resin because my dad doesn't want the house smelling like polyester resin, and it's toxic... I plan on getting some for rondo coats of the chest and hollow pieces.
94C71DB2-D37C-4130-B407-08B23DA00CED_zpsqouspshz.jpg

Attachments

• 94C71DB2-D37C-4130-B407-08B23DA00CED_zpsqouspshz.jpg
    94C71DB2-D37C-4130-B407-08B23DA00CED_zpsqouspshz.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 190
i have a shop in my garage so i dont need to worry about the house smelling like chemicals

When I Plasti Dipped my 'Busa suit I put it in my garage to dry because it was starting to rain. Within about 10 minutes the whole house smelled like chemicals because the AC unit in the garage was sucking up the chemicals.......whoops. I ended up making a makeshift drying booth outside from PVC piping and those black lawn clipping bags, worked perfectly for a temporary drying station and kept the rain off my pieces. I've wanted to build a little work booth in the back yard so I would have an area to work in.

The helmet is looking good. How do you like Aqua Resin?

When I Plasti Dipped my 'Busa suit I put it in my garage to dry because it was starting to rain. Within about 10 minutes the whole house smelled like chemicals because the AC unit in the garage was sucking up the chemicals.......whoops. I ended up making a makeshift drying booth outside from PVC piping and those black lawn clipping bags, worked perfectly for a temporary drying station and kept the rain off my pieces. I've wanted to build a little work booth in the back yard so I would have an area to work in.

The helmet is looking good. How do you like Aqua Resin?
Aqua resin is nice, you don't have to worry about fumes, but it's weaker and if you don't have aqua veil(fiberglass substitute) it's very weak. It also doesn't work with rondo(believe me I've tried).

My shop is actually closed off and doesn't connect to the AC of the house, but my house still smells like bondo:rolleyes

I've found the same issue with Jesmonite and bondo - bondo just does not tend to adhere to non-polyester resins, for some reason. This may be a piece of research worth putting up for general consumption.

I've found the same issue with Jesmonite and bondo - bondo just does not tend to adhere to non-polyester resins, for some reason. This may be a piece of research worth putting up for general consumption.

The Selley's 'Bog' bondo variant that I use has this in it's factsheet: "will not adhere to polyethylene, polypropylene or Teflon"
I'm going to guess it's similar for most versions? *shrugs*

The Selley's 'Bog' bondo variant that I use has this in it's factsheet: "will not adhere to polyethylene, polypropylene or Teflon"
I'm going to guess it's similar for most versions? *shrugs*

It Definetly does not work to make rondo, and sometimes it peels up, but that is fixable with just covering it all over so there isn't any place for it to crack. Eventually I plan on making a cast of every piece using silicone caulking, which you can get a couple of identical pulls of, and if want to make a silicone mold of my helmet with a mother mold etc. I plan on making high detail casts of my helmet

After the build is over, I would be really interested to learn your techniques for Aqua-Resin. For the bondo issue you could try aqua resin also. My attempts are at the end of the Mark V build linked below.

After the build is over, I would be really interested to learn your techniques for Aqua-Resin. For the bondo issue you could try aqua resin also. My attempts are at the end of the Mark V build linked below.

I like to put on a clear coat of a sealer on my pepakura just to Make it water resilient, then I stuff the cavity of the piece with news paper and do a coat of aqua resin on the outside. After that is dry I aqua veil the inside of the piece and then start to work with bondo. I find that if I don't bend the piece, the bondo doesn't come off, but I purposely don't use aqua resin as a bondo substitute because I don't like the slight friction I get when sanding it, I feel like it doesn't sand as smooth as I would like, and when I'm sanding it I it goes absolutely everywhere. Bondo is also much cheaper:D

Hey 405th,

Over the last few days i have been bondoing my helmet. I have some early pics, but my phone is messed up and wont connect to the internet, so i cant upload more photos to photobucket, then here. Hopefully will have some more updates soon, if you guys know anything about that issue with iphone 4s, help would be greatly appreciated.
Bondo on right side of crown of helm
D4FE0250-59FB-456B-9552-0B414C7C4B95_zpsqrw9fnao.jpg
second coat;
8EEE133E-CC58-4E62-BB42-443DABE4C9D2_zpsce9msace.jpg
starting on the middle area;
E8B74534-4C17-4623-9ABD-BB3544FA26BD_zps04oazviu.jpg

Thats all for now, stay tuned:)

Attachments

• D4FE0250-59FB-456B-9552-0B414C7C4B95_zpsqrw9fnao.jpg
    D4FE0250-59FB-456B-9552-0B414C7C4B95_zpsqrw9fnao.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 8EEE133E-CC58-4E62-BB42-443DABE4C9D2_zpsce9msace.jpg
    8EEE133E-CC58-4E62-BB42-443DABE4C9D2_zpsce9msace.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 177
  • E8B74534-4C17-4623-9ABD-BB3544FA26BD_zps04oazviu.jpg
    E8B74534-4C17-4623-9ABD-BB3544FA26BD_zps04oazviu.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 176
so since my last post, i have switched gears and i am trying to experiment with using EVAkura's silicone caulking molding process. i have made my mold for my handplates, and will be rondo casting tomorrow. I plan on casting the biceps+triceps in the near future. Till next time!!

UPDATE
This is the mold i have made with my buck:
AF59EDB2-8956-4435-A5DF-89AE53470BEC_zpsrtt1cogk.jpg
This is the first pull i have done, a bit messy but will soon be cleaned up:
61C5C22A-31CD-4EA8-98C9-F5905C171235_zpsppj1korc.jpg
Other one is in the process of curing, pics soon.

Attachments

• AF59EDB2-8956-4435-A5DF-89AE53470BEC_zpsrtt1cogk.jpg
    AF59EDB2-8956-4435-A5DF-89AE53470BEC_zpsrtt1cogk.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 186
  • 61C5C22A-31CD-4EA8-98C9-F5905C171235_zpsppj1korc.jpg
    61C5C22A-31CD-4EA8-98C9-F5905C171235_zpsppj1korc.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 169
I like to put on a clear coat of a sealer on my pepakura just to Make it water resilient, then I stuff the cavity of the piece with news paper and do a coat of aqua resin on the outside. After that is dry I aqua veil the inside of the piece and then start to work with bondo. I find that if I don't bend the piece, the bondo doesn't come off, but I purposely don't use aqua resin as a bondo substitute because I don't like the slight friction I get when sanding it, I feel like it doesn't sand as smooth as I would like, and when I'm sanding it I it goes absolutely everywhere. Bondo is also much cheaper:D

This is precisely why I started using poly fiber 2 filler it sands like butter. Also I only use bondo for stuff I break. Primer with filler is a great cheater as well.

This is looking great!

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Even though it looks rough, that will sand and/or file down incredibly easy. It is nice that it is one solid piece now, as you can make those ridges even more defined if you want without worrying about going through and hitting cardstock :) Another reason why I love using Rondo for casting is because it is incredibly strong yet has just enough give to not be brittle.

This is looking great and I can't wait to see what the end product looks like!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back