Halo 3 spartan build ODST helmet (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Johnson

So after my first build I decided to ramp it up and use pepakura models instead of eyeballing the measurements and trying to make the armor look good with tons of paint. Now its still a work in progress because I still need to fiberglass the armor but all of the pep work is done, If any one has any comments at all please let me know I would love to hear from some of you, wether it be tips on fiberglassing or concerns and complaints on the armor, thanks!
The pictures should follow this post I hope you enjoy

image_zps67198fb0.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Okay, so I have taken a gander at the pictures of your armor and I have a few concerns.......just because I want to make sure you are happy in the end and don't end up with lots of problems. XD

First, I noticed the picture with your belt/cod piece looks kind of "saggy". Did you use 110lb cardstock paper? If not, you JUST MIGHT want to redo everything. Normal paper CAN NOT hold up to the use of resin and fiberglass. It will be destroyed when you start to apply the resin.

Secondly, I noticed you have duct tape in some areas. FYI, resin eats through tape and your stuff can fall apart. D:

And last, it looks to me that your chestplate is just a tad too big, BUT if you plan on wearing some sort of armor undersuit thing that some people wear under their armor, then you can disregard my concern about the size. :p

Also, some pics with you wearing all the pieces would be a good idea so that others can see just how everything fits on you so if need be, we can give more tips/pointers on what you should/shouldn't do to improve your suit. :)

Thanks Yeah the armor is made with card stock its all pretty sturdy the helmet and chest only limp a little for what ever reason but the rest is all pretty strong. As for the duct tape I now that it gets eaten away, its just their now because i had everything attached to a t- frame just to figure out the spacing for when I foam up the inside. And yeah I was gonna try and make an under suit because I like the whole larger than life feeling that the big chest piece gives off. Thank you for the advice much appreciated!!

Well, that's good to know that you used cardstock. ;)

Also, since you do agree that the pieces are a bit limp, it MIGHT help to create a support strut. I know that some of the MK VI files DO include suuport struts and this helps to allow the piece to hold it's shape MUCH better when you start to add the resin and fiberglass and it makes it so that the piece doesn't warp and you end up with something that looks a little off than when it did before you started. XD

You can cut strudy cardboard to the desired length and width and glue it to key areas that will help the piece hold it's shape better.

Oh, and another thing I am curious about.......I noticed that you did the low def files, have you though about doing the high def pieces? :p They can be more tedious, but you will have a suit with more detail. :p

Thats actually a really good Idea with the struts, could I use like EVA foam to help bolster the pieces a little or would they be affected by the resin too much? And Yeah currently im working on another suit as well which i might post pictures from that uses some of the high def files, with this one I just want to get a feel for doing an armor piece from start to finish and learn before I accidentally mess up some high def pieces that took forever to unfold:D

Yeah, the EVA foam will be affected by the resin. The resin can eat that stuff too. XD You would be better off with cardboard. ;) Cardboard is more also more sturdy than the EVA foam and will help hold the piece in place much better.

Are you sure that is 110lb cardstock? It looks to be sagging a lot more than 110lb cardstock should. Cardstock comes in many different weight measurements, some as low as 30ish. 30 or 65lb cardstock will not hold up very well to the resin process. Its better than plain copy paper but will cause a lot more bondo work to smooth it out.

Yeah its the 110 cardstock, the only reason that the cod piece is bent is because I was messed up when trying to fold that piece because I read the fold wrong, whoops :rolleyes

I have heard of people sealing the cardstock before they resin which helps diminish the warping. Also using supports like dowel rods, chop sticks, and tubes made of paper for larger areas. In the end, it isn't a huge deal because you can fix it when you bondo (just a bit more to fill and sand)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back