Offensive language?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorvack

Jr Member
Hello all,

Recently I read a post on this site which used what I thought was offensive language. I chose to report the post in question, but after 2 days nothing had been changed, which leads me to believe that the language is not considered to be offensive by the people who run this website.

The language in question was the word 'homo'.

Basically what I'm wondering is, what language can be used openly on this forum, and what can't be, because I think that allowing the word above to be used openly (and the fact that it is deemed to be acceptable on this site) may alienate those who consider it to be derogatory.

As I said, just wondering.

*I had to give a hard think before posting this*

My initial response was: It's the internet, naughty language is all over... so I suggest anybody puckering up to just sucking it up.

Then I realized I became one of those apologist types, but it's hard to take my initial response back because I would rather have a colorful language, but that's personal taste. Even then this forum is so great because there is an immense amount of peace where attacks are almost non existent and warm hugs and kisses are all over.

If I recall the rules of this forum politics, religion, and offensive statements/attacks are not allowed so yes, "bad words" are not allowed here. I'm very conflicted on this :p

Bottom line... if the mods take action, great. I guess peace had been restored. If not, I guess even this forum has been tainted with the internet evil. Like I said I would rather have an uncensored forum because then I could put emphasis on my comments but...

I've seen the post you are referring to and here's my take on it.

This really just comes down to personal morals and ethics. The 405th does not tolerate foul language but the word in question effects people differently. The way the word was used in the post is a saying I've heard for many years and doesn't effect me, however, homosexuality is a very tender subject in many countries right now, making that saying a little hurtful to some. The OP I'm sure was not using it in a degrading way which is probably the reason why nothing has happened, but I can see why some might find it offensive. To me, it's not offensive, but rather a poor choice of words to express themselves.

As said by BHS above me, If the mods take action, great, if not, that's fine too.

Carpathia is the most active moderator on this site, every once in a while some of the other mods and admin come around. with that being said, if you sent Carp a pm more than likely he hasn't read it yet, probably has a full message box, or possibly even changed it already and didn't let you know. have you checked to see if it has been changed. Carpathia is pretty good about taking care of stuff like this, but please remember I don't speak for the mods or admin. I hear the ban hammer swooshing up above. just kidding

There is a difference between curse words and offensive language since there are children on this forum no curse words are allowed. By the way what's wrong with using the abbreviation of a word?

I believe that this was posted in the Gundam thread. I keep my eyes on that since its my forte. However the word that was used did not offend me in any way. (made a little chuck when I read it)

The 405th tries to keep an active 'no foul langauge' policy. Unfortunately some offenders slip under the radar, but for reference:

Foul language, harassment, and slurs of any kind, are not tolerated. Likewise, relgious/political discussions are not encouraged given the heat these discussions tend to encourage. If you see a member blatantly harassing or swearing at another member, or if you see a discussion start to get out of hand, use the Report function to notify a member of staff.

In the same vein: we're all representatives of the 405th Infantry Division. How we conduct ourselves, both online and when on deployment, colours how we're perceived by outsiders looking in. It's our duty to keep our conduct clean, pleasant and inviting whenever our actions can be associated with the Division.

Put simply: Keep It Clean. You're Spartans, act like it.

I recently received a number of reported posts, most of which dealt with spam posts. It's possible that your report got overlooked among the others. That form of derogatory language is not permitted. Link me to the post and I'll correct it.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the report. Taken care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back