Long time no see... any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kissker

Well for those that remember me, still going through the bad luck streaks. Although this time it's been a lot longer to recover.

I require.. well ... comment-like assistance more then anything, encouragement heavily appreciated, but negative comments will also be appreciated to an extent.

For those wanting to skip the story, jump over the "///////" markers. For those that want the Details, read it all.

//////////////////////////////////////////
So I've never had the best of luck with Fiberglass resin and Pepakura, I put effort in, the Paper Models look amazing, then I ruin it or disfigure it when resin-enforcing it. This has lead to extreme anger moments and even great sadness. When I finally did get a suit of Halo-based armor made -it was stolen roughly a week before it's use for Halloween. Then I jumped to Gears of War armor and ended up ruining the torso (really the ONLY armor they have) so I had to 30hour rush a foam build that turned out about 80% as good as I had hoped. Iron man helmet was destroyed by Liquid Foam Method filling to harden (deformation beyond repair) and I never managed to set up my Power Armor(original project, Metroid universe) ever.

Now life has thrown another twist at me, this time more "good" then bad. I lost my living space... which normally someone would consider a terrible thing, but when you take into consideration it was With family, in a small 10x10 room, with no room for anything but my belongings.... it's a good thing. I had been trashing a bunch of junk, stuff I thought I'd use in costumes, stuff I was keeping for whatever reason and basically got to slim down my belongings. I then managed to secure a place to live with my best friend due to an unusual and Personal matter (related to him, so I won't share) before I actually ended up "on the streets".

So now.. Iam here, and his hobby is mostly miniatures but likes the idea of having his own suit someday, so I managed to easily sway him to use the Dining room (which was just a mess of garbage, literally) into a Hobby Center. This means, room to work. Tables to work on, shelves to organize tools. (super huge improvement to having a storage bin in the closet!) However i won't be able to use Fiberglass Resins, and even Painting will have to be taken out of the Apartment building into a parking lot or other prepared area. (I'll deal with that later, mostly just can't use Resins)

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

So... it comes to "it's here now... what to make?"

I don't have the inspirational burning desires to finish any of the already started WIP. So I will probably recycle the foam if I need it/as I need it (even from the GOW armor that is "done")

So... what should I make? For builds, I am a tall, larger frame male, so a lot of armor needs heavy scaling (which I have never managed to successfully do 100% properly) and I will never be a skinny pretty boy for some of those cosplay fave's...

I really don't want to start up another Halo build until the next game (or at least models) arrive to use either... so that kinda limits things. (and perhaps I need to find another forum?)

I really want to jump-start my Artistic Muse, she seems to have abandoned me years ago, so I am trying to sketch and draw and start things again. October is the "deadline" for anything (Halloween) however, Rushing will not take place this time. If I miss the D-line, New Years it is. If I miss that D-Line, anyandall days I feel like.

Supplies I still own
-Foam matting
-Foam Roll (thinner)
-recyclable foam matting from other suits (scrap parts, small objects, detail parts)
-blades
-hot glue
-card stock
-30lbs Oil-based Clay
-crockpot to recycle clay
-Low Budget Income for Extras.

Any ideas?

If I was restricted to an apartment, I'd think about a foam build. Reach armor lends itself beautifully to foam.

Hey mate. I hear you on losing the pepp builds with resin, but have you tried applying smoothcast rather than resin to harden the paper up? I've had great luck with using the smoothcast 320 since there is minimal liquid lost to evaporation or vapors like you get with resin, and therefore less shrinking and warping.

Check with an art store and see about picking up the ~$30 package of it, and you might be surprised how far it takes you. I coat the inside and outside with a light layer, then hit it with the rondo mix on the inside. Sands down great, holds bondo great, seeps into the card stock great....I can't think of a negative honestly, and you won't get high/brain dead from the fumes like the resin would cause! Maybe a bit more expensive, but significantly less than hospital bills, and a real time saver when you consider how long it takes to pepp something out right. Recommend giving it a try if you get back to the paper builds.

Mostly lookin for Build Ideas more then Supplies Ideas lol... I can't really "sand" here, but I'll work something out.;

Well, you should make a decision soon and get on it. Indecision threads are actually not allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back