Retralpha - Halo:Combat Evolved Mark V Spartan armour - Pepakura - [PIC HEAVY]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retralpha

Combat Evolved, Master Chief! Don't quite know what I'm going to do yet, but even so I will succeed. (maybe)
I will try to keep it retro, Although the planned paint job is white and black details +decals.
All I know right now is the list below.

Armour progress: [All scaled]

Helmet:
Torso:pepped and Hardening started
Ab-Plate: Paint finished, awaiting storage spaces on belt region
Biceps:Finished and awaiting potential decals
Forearms: Hardening
Hand Guards: I NEED THE FILES ;~;
Thighs:
Shins:
Boots:
Asc:

Weapon Progress:

Assault rifle:
UNSC Sidearm:
Combat Knife:
Multiple Grenades+ Grenade Belt:

All comments are welcome :)

[All files used sourced from http://halocostuming.wikia.com/wiki/Pepakura_File_Index]

Going with what EVAkura has provided me, I added a few layers of PVA glue to the abdominal piece to test what'd happen as its a small piece.
My conclusion is,the abdominal piece feels more study and resilient compared to the chest. Which means I'm going to be PVA'ing everything from now on. Rather than what I did with the Reach Helmet and used it as I pre-paint finisher (I guess it'd be an alternative to spot putty in my case).

Unlike my other Reach build where I used just a mixture of spackling compound, Wall Joint Compound, and paper; I'm going to add some cardboard inside the armour as well just to add some more strength to those pieces with thinner lighter layers than the helmet. There's just not enough space for it.

Now, with the photos of progress.
Chest front and abdomen plate
VeIoEO0.jpg

Attachments

• VeIoEO0.jpg
    VeIoEO0.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 587
Help! I plan on making a DIY mannequin for my Armour to sit on rather than the floor, but is this tutorial enough information.. or is there anything else I should know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I'm not receiving any advice, I just went ahead on my mannequin. It worked out pretty nicely considering it's only duct tape, an old long sleeve shirt, and news paper.

YoNHMd7.jpg

Attachments

• YoNHMd7.jpg
    YoNHMd7.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 238
Hey there! Sorry you weren't getting any advice
Was away since the 22nd and just got back yesterday :)
Anyway, if you haven't got too far into your mannequin, a PVC skeleton would help it be more sturdy
Nice to see CE getting more attention :) good job so far

Since I'm not receiving any advice, I just went ahead on my mannequin. It worked out pretty nicely considering it's only duct tape, an old long sleeve shirt, and news paper.

Yeah, the technique is rather self explanatory hahahaha. I'm glad to see it worked out for you. and yeah, a pvc pipe skeleton will do wonders for helping it stand up.

Test fit
I'll try find some PVC, but cant assure that'll be easy. In Malaysia (which I moved to [I don't live in the US]) wood is actually cheaper and easily accessible. Which means I might be buying wood for the frame and just doing what'd be necessary for skeleton, just with wood and not PVC.

PJWUPqo.jpg

2epYHDL.jpg

The Biceps are nearly ready for paint prep, and the AB plate is already being prepared for paint. The backpack and torso arnt even close, but they'll be done once I get the forearms pepped.

I can't wait until Padding is in so the Biceps don't fall down ):

Attachments

• PJWUPqo.jpg
    PJWUPqo.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 263
  • 2epYHDL.jpg
    2epYHDL.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 253
Test fit
I'll try find some PVC, but cant assure that'll be easy. In Malaysia (which I moved to [I don't live in the US]) wood is actually cheaper and easily accessible. Which means I might be buying wood for the frame and just doing what'd be necessary for skeleton, just with wood and not PVC.

That's not why we suggest it. PVC is good because it is already rounded like real limbs, it is light weight, and it is sturdy. also wood kinda warps and cracks over time.

Well... If you understood and read about my situation, you'd know that I can't source conventional materials easily. I'm really starting to get bothered about a lack of sympathy for my situation.

I'm pretty sure I cant get PVC in Malaysia to be honest. I can't get a lot in Malaysia. It's why I'm using plaster and toilet paper to make armour. I can assure you this is not by choice. It's just something I have to sucker up and accept about Malaysia.

In New Zealand, (where I used to live) This would be easy. I have to accept the fact now that I've moved and cannot source the luxury materials everyone takes for granted.

Use bamboo??

Its rather hard to find any suitable bamboo. It's mostly thin and spindly. (used to frame work and blinds etc) Larger poles would be as hard as PVC in terms of finding it. Which is why my suggestion of using Wood instead seems like a valid option.

To clear up the mystery, and to provide a basis on which replies can comment on my terrible/good ideas; I will present to you how I go around strengthening my armour.

First off, I'll mix up a paste of Spackling compound and PVA glue.
3hLPldk.jpg

The texture of Spackling Compound if you were unsure what it was.
WqINKvt.jpg

the PVA glue I use. (Latex based)
oKtLd5c.jpg

Once they're mixed they look like this:
I'm basically giving the Spackling compound a little more tack.
w3crYf0.jpg

Then I add tissue/toilet paper to it to give it more rigidity once it sets.
yu6kVsZ.jpg

Depending on the situation, I alternative between this method and hot glueing and spackling etc.

Attachments

• 3hLPldk.jpg
    3hLPldk.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 214
  • WqINKvt.jpg
    WqINKvt.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 221
  • oKtLd5c.jpg
    oKtLd5c.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 260
  • w3crYf0.jpg
    w3crYf0.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 227
  • yu6kVsZ.jpg
    yu6kVsZ.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 206
Thread abbandoned

Not abandoned. I've been out the past week. Are you able to get any paper fiber or anything like the gauze into that mix before putting the paper on the outside? It would really add strength.

Redshirt

Its really only half abandoned. I had a change of plans and am now making a Combat Evolved Jedi. Using existing arms, hands, and helmet, and a Jedi robe to fit. Not sure if I should make a New Official thread, or just continue with this..?

I dont have anything within the ghetto fibreglass, but I do put a rigid hot glue mesh to add extra shock proofing and strength.

I use mat board ( I think thats what it is called, the stuff you use to make picture frame cut outs) cut to the same shape of certain parts and glued through the inside of the helmet or armor pieces. I use it at brim of the helmets when possible, big flat pieces etc. Just cut out the desired shape and glue in. It adds a lot of support before even the resin or fiberglass stage. Since you dont have the option of fiberglass use this as much as possible. Hope it helps and never give up. I think Carpathia used this method in his thread, I believe. If not .... either way look through his build thread it is full of info.

I really hope you still read replies from this thread.

Hey Retralpha! I can totally understand what you're experiencing now living in Malaysia. I'm Malaysian live in Malaysia too(YOU DON'T SAY? you'll know if you check out my thread) and materials and stuff can be hard to find here at times(Most of the time). Which part of Malaysia are you at now and why did you move here? Anyway back to the topic, I almost gave up making my costume as it was hell trying to find the things I needed. Nonetheless, I never gave up searching and suddenly found what i was looking for in Ace Hardware. Depends on which part you live in, an Ace Hardware branch could be near you. If you live in Selangor, try going to Ace Hadrware outlets which are ;ocated in Jaya33, Mid-Valley Megamall and Ikano Power Centre.

"I'm pretty sure I cant get PVC in Malaysia to be honest. I can't get a lot in Malaysia. It's why I'm using plaster and toilet paper to make armour. I can assure you this is not by choice. It's just something I have to sucker up and accept about Malaysia. " This statement can be fully understood by me. There are a LOT of things which are nearly impossible to obtain here.

As for your PVC pipes, to be honest if you look hard enough, you can actually find them pretty easily.

I might be able to help you locate where to get those stuff if you tell me which part of Malaysia you're staying. Catcha later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back