Cameo cutting of pepakura pieces slightly off consistantly

Status
Not open for further replies.

azirithdorr

Hello everyone - thanks for reading this!

I've been playing around awhile now with my Silhouette Cameo using the Pepakura for Cameo software. Following instructions found on this site, and especially using Grenex's 'The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo', I've managed to download my model ( the Mk. VI Normal Detail parts by Robogenesis ), scale it, print it ( on my regular printer that is ), setup my pepakura and cameo ( using the registration marks and successfully 'reading' them, and cut out my pieces.

The problem for me is that the pieces are being cut consistantly approximately 2mm to the left of where they should be. They are the correct scale and at the correct height, but shifted from the printed images to the left. I've run through the settings and program several times now with full success up to this point.

I was hoping someone might have experienced this particular issue and may have come across a solution they could suggest.

Thank you for any suggestions you might be able to throw my way!

Cheers!

That's an inherent (and annoying) problem with the Pepakura for Silhouette Cameo software. The methodology of first printing the pages and then using a plugin to cut the parts results in crappy cutting. (That's right, the Pepakura Cameo interface is actually handled by a Controller plugin from Silhouette America which installs with the Pepakura application.) Their approach to print the pages with registration marks and scan for the marks on the Cameo doesn't use the actual vector data in the Pepakura file for cutting. Instead, the optical scanner on the cutter reads the lines (sometimes) and cuts based on what's scanned from the printed page, resulting in a differential offset between the scanner and the cutter that isn't calibrated properly in the plugin. I followed that "Definitive Guide" as well, and got the same horrible results (more so, in fact, due to the tiny size of my parts). After trying a variety of ways to achieve better and faster cutting, I'm now nearly finished with an awesome video tutorial that explains a faster and much more accurate method of cutting the parts using the actual vector data and the native Silhouette Studio software which comes with the Cameo (and can also be downloaded from their web site). Check out the photos in my build thread of how nicely the parts get cut out, and how well the optional Edge IDs align with the parts...

That's an inherent (and annoying) problem with the Pepakura for Silhouette Cameo software. The methodology of first printing the pages and then using a plugin to cut the parts results in crappy cutting. (That's right, the Pepakura Cameo interface is actually handled by a Controller plugin from Silhouette America which installs with the Pepakura application.) Their approach to print the pages with registration marks and scan for the marks on the Cameo doesn't use the actual vector data in the Pepakura file for cutting. Instead, the optical scanner on the cutter reads the lines (sometimes) and cuts based on what's scanned from the printed page, resulting in a differential offset between the scanner and the cutter that isn't calibrated properly in the plugin. I followed that "Definitive Guide" as well, and got the same horrible results (more so, in fact, due to the tiny size of my parts). After trying a variety of ways to achieve better and faster cutting, I'm now nearly finished with an awesome video tutorial that explains a faster and much more accurate method of cutting the parts using the actual vector data and the native Silhouette Studio software which comes with the Cameo (and can also be downloaded from their web site). Check out the photos in my build thread of how nicely the parts get cut out, and how well the optional Edge IDs align with the parts...

Hey robot,

Funny enough im in exactly the same spot as OP with cutting using the cameo. Could you please post your guide here?

I figure a lot of people are in that spot, including me. I love how fast (and precise) the Cameo can cut out the parts compared to manual cutting and I just had to figure out a workflow that leverages the actual underlying Pepakura vector data, since Silhouette Studio is also vector-based, but formatted differently. I suspect the appropriate place to post the video link will be in Armor Videos and Fan Films, but considering the title of this thread I suppose it could be appropriate to drop a note here with a link to the thread when I get it uploaded. I'm very meticulous and also trying to make the content understandable by people who have never used Pepakura or Silhouette Studio, but I'm finally getting close to uploading.

Thank you very much for the replies, especially to you, RobotChicken. In some calming way, it's 'nice' to know people are having the same issue.

I started to manually cut-out and assemble some pieces, but,yeah, it's hard to do you know there is a machine sitting right next to you made to do the job ( and do it nicer than myself at least ).

I'll be checking out your video RC - thanks again!

I figure a lot of people are in that spot, including me. I love how fast (and precise) the Cameo can cut out the parts compared to manual cutting and I just had to figure out a workflow that leverages the actual underlying Pepakura vector data, since Silhouette Studio is also vector-based, but formatted differently. I suspect the appropriate place to post the video link will be in Armor Videos and Fan Films, but considering the title of this thread I suppose it could be appropriate to drop a note here with a link to the thread when I get it uploaded. I'm very meticulous and also trying to make the content understandable by people who have never used Pepakura or Silhouette Studio, but I'm finally getting close to uploading.

You're the man RobotChicken! I really appreciate your help. If i knew ya in person id buy you a beer.

...you know there is a machine sitting right next to you made to do the job (and do it nicer than myself at least ).

Soon your Cameo will be cutting out the parts as accurately as they're displayed on your screen. I'm eager to wrap up my tutorial so I can get back to pepping...at warp speed since the only physical work I'll be doing is folding and gluing, which I'm sure you'd agree is relatively quick.

You're the man RobotChicken! I really appreciate your help. If i knew ya in person id buy you a beer.

Thanks. For the record, though, I don't drink and have never had an alcoholic drink in my life. No religious reasons, just personal choice.

I'll let you know when the magic is ready.

Hey Robotchicken,
just touching base to see how things are coming along. And thanks again i really appreciate your help.

Spent two days trying to figure out why 8 minutes of video was taking up 300GB on my drive. (Finally figured it out and got it down to 11GB - dumb Apple programming and default settings...) Now slowly moving tons of data around to reformat a 3TB drive because of a permissions glitch that isn't behaving (not fun). Also setting up a new MacBook Air for my son, so I haven't had much time for working on any personal projects. I'll announce when the video is uploaded. For now, going dark.

Spent two days trying to figure out why 8 minutes of video was taking up 300GB on my drive. (Finally figured it out and got it down to 11GB - dumb Apple programming and default settings...) Now slowly moving tons of data around to reformat a 3TB drive because of a permissions glitch that isn't behaving (not fun). Also setting up a new MacBook Air for my son, so I haven't had much time for working on any personal projects. I'll announce when the video is uploaded. For now, going dark.

Hey RobotChicken, just wondering if you had a chance to upload your video. Sorry to pester you.

No, it's not finished yet. Apple OS X Mavericks is wrecking havoc with my Mac systems and is the Windows Vista of Mac-land. Unfortunately, it's also the required OS for the video editing software I'm using. Sloppy Apple programming combined with workload at my job, yard work, family, etc has slowed down the pace of hobbies. I'm working on it as much as time allows.

No, it's not finished yet. Apple OS X Mavericks is wrecking havoc with my Mac systems and is the Windows Vista of Mac-land. Unfortunately, it's also the required OS for the video editing software I'm using. Sloppy Apple programming combined with workload at my job, yard work, family, etc has slowed down the pace of hobbies. I'm working on it as much as time allows.

The little info of you did provide started me on the right path, I am using 3.0 of Silhouette Designer, I like the option to quickly select which color lines I'd like it to target for using the sketch pens, scoring, and then cutting. The only thing I'm unsure of is how you managed the Edge ID's, can't wait for your video to see how you did that since you said you didn't use Pepakura Viewer/Designer at all.

That month also included Father's Day plus two other family "holidays" and the annual neighborhood garage sale. I know it's taking a long time - 6 months since I started on it. Let me tell you something, do NOT use Apple's Final Cut "Pro" to do video editing. It is horrendously S L O W and crashes a lot, and is the main culprit for the project taking so long. Unfortunately, I'm heavily vested in it for this project and need to just keep at it until it's done. If I make another video in the future, I'll be using a "real" application. Final Cut Crap, plus Apple Mavericks SLOWNESS, job workload, and family issues all are impacting the video's delivery. (Vocational hobbies always play second chair to real life.) I only get a little bit of time to work on it each week. All the video's dictation is done and all I have remaining is a little more screen recording of Silhouette Studio and final editing/mixing.

This week I had to re-do some of the Silhouette Studio dictation and all of its screen recording, which cost me another few days. I had done all my proof-of-concept using version 2 of the software (due to how bugged version 3 is), but for the video I thought I might try the newer version 3 since it's the "latest, greatest", was recently updated again, and probably is what's shipping with all new Cameo machines. BIG MISTAKE. Version 3 still has library import bugs which obstruct the whole workflow. I've notified Silhouette America of the issue with example files, but who knows when it will get fixed. Version 2 works great, and I cannot recommend version 3 to anybody. I'm currently remaking the video's last of 4 segments using SS version 2 and almost caught back up to where I was last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back