Energy Sword: WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aramoorn

Jr Member
Got this file from pepakurapros.com Took about 3 hours off and on to cut, fold and glue. I started out using a glue stick to keep the blade extensions nice and flat. I love hot glue, but sometimes it builds too much height. Towards the end I switched to hot glue due to curves taking too long to dry. Added hot glue to the tips to hold the points. So far I really like it. I'm going to resin it and then drill small holes to fill with expanding foam. I don't want it too heavy. Depending on how the resin turns out though I may just fill it and mold it. I've never done a mold before though so we'll see. One part of the blade turned in a bit. I'm going to attempt to straighten it before resin, if not I'll fix it in bondo.
th_IMG_20140528_090257-1.jpg
close up
th_IMG_20140528_090326.jpg
the twist
th_IMG_20140528_090316.jpg

Attachments

• th_IMG_20140528_090257-1.jpg
    th_IMG_20140528_090257-1.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 141
  • th_IMG_20140528_090326.jpg
    th_IMG_20140528_090326.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 129
  • th_IMG_20140528_090316.jpg
    th_IMG_20140528_090316.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 130
Nice pep aramoorn, I'm attempting a energy blade too, I've pepped the handle but trying transparent paper mâché for the blades hardened with resin. Later on il light it with a toy lightsaber from amazon

Vellum could work out pricey, I was thinking of a layer of resin for the inner coat then kitchen paper and pva glue for the half dozen layers. Then a couple of outer coats to finish

Will do dude, I was thinking of a slight change of using tracing paper instead of tissue for added stability. As soon as I get it done il take pics

It could be done with patience I reckon, the idea had occurred to me the only thing I can't figure out would be how to strengthen the joins

Im excited to see this! don't see too many energy sword builds these days, hope it turns out great! My favoritest weapon! <3
But i seen you mentioned something here :
I'm going to resin it and then drill small holes to fill with expanding foam

I have seen models get completely destroyed by this stuff in the past like this
P4200071.JPG

This screenshot actually came from Timbo's Creations: X-Wing Helmet for Vacuum Forming
If you click there and read through, he had to scrap the pepakura model. so his best bet was to use a harder material like cardboard for the model
I'd hate to see your hard work go to waste

Attachments

• P4200071.JPG
    P4200071.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 140
Im excited to see this! don't see too many energy sword builds these days, hope it turns out great! My favoritest weapon! <3
But i seen you mentioned something here :

This screenshot actually came from Timbo's Creations: X-Wing Helmet for Vacuum Forming
If you click there and read through, he had to scrap the pepakura model. so his best bet was to use a harder material like cardboard for the model
I'd hate to see your hard work go to waste
Good to know!! Thanks!! Rondo inside instead lol

I'm slow on the uptake of photos (coming this week). I've rondoed the inside if my handle and added clay details for carving later. I'm still no closer on my paper mâché experiments so not sure where to go from here

Awesome!
Written update, too dark for pics. I did try to use the expanding foam... Not too bad. I over filled the handle but had minimal separation. I little x-acto knife work and some glue and it was back to normal. The blades, I took extra care to make sure there were extra holes to vent the foam expansion out without damaing it. Messy but it worked. I also used it on an R2 D2 unit for a friend and my Skyrim dragon skull

Looks sick, try making a gravity hammer? now that's what I call a challange
Thanks! lol That thing is terrifying.
I got the handle secured using an old tent nail I found.
th_IMG_20140603_191210.jpg

And started Bondo work...

th_IMG_20140603_195509.jpg

I like how straight I managed to get everything :)

th_IMG_20140603_195540.jpg

Attachments

• th_IMG_20140603_195509.jpg
    th_IMG_20140603_195509.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 131
  • th_IMG_20140603_191210.jpg
    th_IMG_20140603_191210.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 133
  • th_IMG_20140603_195540.jpg
    th_IMG_20140603_195540.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 128
make sure your sword does not get messed up!! i would hate to see that perfect work go to waste via box being crushed or the like... other than that, amazing work on the straightness. cant wait to see the results!

Which pep file did you use (link please) and how comfortable is it to hold?

Super cool build, I'm working on a Red vs. Blue Tucker and I need a sword, other wise I'm just an aqua spartan.

make sure your sword does not get messed up!! i would hate to see that perfect work go to waste via box being crushed or the like... other than that, amazing work on the straightness. cant wait to see the results!
Thanks! I'm putting all my pieces in the passenger seat with me lol I'm afraid to have them in the trunk.

Which pep file did you use (link please) and how comfortable is it to hold?

Super cool build, I'm working on a Red vs. Blue Tucker and I need a sword, other wise I'm just an aqua spartan.

I got the file from pepakurapros website. It's comfortable. Feels a little weird spacing your fingers, but even my son who's two doesn't have an issue holding it. Thanks! I love Tucker ;)

Arrived at our destination. I will say this in regards to my sword... don't leave these things in a hot vehicle lol It did warp one side of the sword. So I'm rebuilding that side. My friend says she likes it that way though. Makes it look battle damaged. Haha

lol you cant battle damage an energy weapon... well maybe you can, but it just doesnt make sense lol
Hope the move went well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back