Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. 405th Midwest Regiment Member Revenant1988's Avatar
    Jun 4, 2014, 8:14 AM - ODST + Venom cross-over : ODSV #1

Hello all! I've been having some issues getting to 405th from my home network (guess we're still having problems with IPs being blocked) so these posts will be sporadic as I get access when I can. Moving on...

Last winter I received an ODST kit from Sean Bradely. Due to winter and other projects, I wasn't able to start working on it until a couple months ago. I've had this character idea in my head for a very long time, and decided to just go for it and see if I can make it happen. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm making progress and feedback\encouragement are much appreciated to help me keep focused.

Here are some progress pics;

Cleanup and primer

A few coats of gloss black

Rough draft at eyes and teeth (This changed several times as I worked on it. I must have done 10 different versions of the eyes until I was happy.)

Switched to red visor
    I decided to go with a red visor to make Venom's mouth more obvious.

Eyes finalized, teeth still WIP
    I finally settled on the eyes and cut out a template on some sticker paper. Sometimes, I feel like I can visualize what I want in my head, but sometimes, until I actually put something in front of me to make it "real", I have trouble bridging that gap from concept to proof.

I'm very happy with the eyes, and would say I'm ready to do final painting on them. The teeth on the other hand I need to re-work. Putting the sticker templates on it really helped me see how it looks, and I think they should be bigger and more spaced out. Once the teeth are settled, I am planning to paint a pink gumline to make the mouth pop even more.

Visibility through the visor is adequate, and the teeth do not obstruct my vision much at all.

Still mulling over how I might make a tongue work...

Thanks for reading and if anyone has any feed back I'm very open to it.
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
  3. 405th Australian Regiment Member tabris89's Avatar
    Jun 4, 2014, 8:39 AM - #2

WOW....just.... O_o yep...
  4. 405th Southern Regiment Member Masterchief0624's Avatar
    Jun 4, 2014, 9:24 AM - #3

Looks awesome! good job
    Jun 4, 2014, 9:33 AM - #4

Thats Pretty epic dude.. I used sticker templates to help paint my helmet as well and it turned out fantastic
  6. New Recruit
    Jun 4, 2014, 10:39 AM - #5

This is looking pretty awesome!
  7. 405th Southern Regiment Member ()HaloMaster()'s Avatar
    ()HaloMaster()'s Xbox Gamertag FARTINSPARTAN2O
    Jun 4, 2014, 11:17 AM - #6

Very, very cool. Can't wait to see more!
    Jun 4, 2014, 1:13 PM - #7

This is awesome, are you going to do the full suit and put the spider thing on the chest?
    Jun 4, 2014, 1:46 PM - #8

That's actually a pretty neat idea! I'm definitely going to keep checking up on this thread.
  10. 405th Colonial Regiment Member BlueFreeze128's Avatar
    BlueFreeze128's Xbox Gamertag BlueFreeze128
    Jun 4, 2014, 4:39 PM - #9

DUDEE!!! this is so sick!!!! and so clever too I wish I had thought of something like this!!! seriously super awesome
  11. 405th Southern Regiment Member cha0skn1ght's Avatar
    cha0skn1ght's Xbox Gamertag cha0s kn1ght
    Jun 4, 2014, 5:04 PM - #10

Very rad!
    Keep it up!
    Jun 4, 2014, 11:29 PM - #11

Good God!!! That's epic!!! Really like how you incorporate the red visor as the mouth. I hope you'd make a full ODST suit to go with that and add a white spider symbol on it Hope to see more soon
  13. 405th Midwest Regiment Member Revenant1988's Avatar
    Jun 6, 2014, 7:36 AM - #12

Originally Posted by Masterchief0624 View Post
    Looks awesome! good job
    Thank you

Originally Posted by Silverwolf View Post
    Thats Pretty epic dude.. I used sticker templates to help paint my helmet as well and it turned out fantastic
    I've done it before like a stencil for super crisp lines and it't worked out well. I'm hoping that will apply here as well. I just got some adhesive vinyl sticker paper that I can use if painting doesn't work out. A friend of mine suggested the sticker over painting it in the event I wanted to do something different with the helmet- that I could just remove the sticker, but I have not decided yet.

Originally Posted by edd_454 View Post
    This is looking pretty awesome!
    thank you

Originally Posted by ()HaloMaster() View Post
    Very, very cool. Can't wait to see more!
    thanks, I'm going to try my best to update this regularly so the whole process is available to anyone wanting to do similar work.

Originally Posted by averysmallhorse View Post
    This is awesome, are you going to do the full suit and put the spider thing on the chest?
    I do indeed have a full kit from Sean and that is the plan! Still working on assembly right now.

Originally Posted by NinjaChicken View Post
    That's actually a pretty neat idea! I'm definitely going to keep checking up on this thread.
    thanks, the encouragement from you guys is a huge motivator.

Originally Posted by BlueFreeze128 View Post
    DUDEE!!! this is so sick!!!! and so clever too I wish I had thought of something like this!!! seriously super awesome
    thank you

Originally Posted by cha0skn1ght View Post
    Very rad!
    Keep it up!
    thank you

Originally Posted by Jen-A266 View Post
    Good God!!! That's epic!!! Really like how you incorporate the red visor as the mouth. I hope you'd make a full ODST suit to go with that and add a white spider symbol on it Hope to see more soon
    That is exactly what I'm aiming to do. It will have the core Venom details (there aren't many aside from the chest, back and hands) but I'm going to add some ODST stuff in there too. I want it to be the best of both worlds

Assembly on the other parts has been started, and I'm making good progress.

Here are the shins, calves and forearms

Here is the almost finished backpack

Here is a shot of the functional flaps, secured with elastic

Some of you may be wondering about the rainbow of colors on the inside of the pieces- that is from the smoothcast 320 I used to reinforce the vac-formed pieces. It's in a plethora of colors because I was experimenting with some of the tints to get practice with them. Since the parts are all on the inside, they won't be visible to anyone except the wearer. It also helps me to remember which leg is left v right etc.

I'll be away this weekend and probably won't get to work on this much if at all, but I should have more next week.

Thanks for reading!
    thedoctor518's Xbox Gamertag thedoctor518
    Jun 7, 2014, 2:06 AM - #13

This is looking so awesome! And I love what you're doing with the helmet design. Very cool idea. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out
    Jun 7, 2014, 11:57 AM - #14

This is sick man. keep it up.
  16. 405th Mountain Regiment Member Mstruvmgc's Avatar
    Mstruvmgc's Xbox Gamertag Mstruvmgc
    Jun 8, 2014, 6:18 AM - #15

holy cow this is righteous!
    im glad im not the only person who thought to paint halo armor like a superhero/ supervillian lol. my idea is doing one that looks like the flash :-)
    keep up the great work i look foreward to seeing more
  17. 405th Mountain Regiment Member Aramoorn's Avatar
    Jun 8, 2014, 7:42 AM - #16

WOW!!!! This is so cool! I LOVE it!
  18. 405th Midwest Regiment Member Revenant1988's Avatar
    Jun 9, 2014, 8:06 AM - #17

Originally Posted by Mstruvmgc View Post
    holy cow this is righteous!
    im glad im not the only person who thought to paint halo armor like a superhero/ supervillian lol. my idea is doing one that looks like the flash :-)
    keep up the great work i look foreward to seeing more
    Thank you

Venom isn't exactly a super villain... he just really wants Spider-man to not...be...alive.

As for the Flash, hop to it and make it happen!

Originally Posted by Aramoorn View Post
    WOW!!!! This is so cool! I LOVE it!
    Thanks!

I was able to get some work done yesterday on the belt assembly. This would include the strapping for the butt plate, crotch plate, thighs, and hip plates.

I'm still refining things, but one thing for certain is that for a guy like me with a 30 inch waist, there isn't a lot of room to hang all this hardware from!

I'm going to have to trim off some of the thighs to make them fit me better, but that's not a big deal as I won't lose any detail.

Some of the armor parts are meant to overlap a tad, such as the hip plates and thighs so to minimize any scratches and scrapes from those parts rubbing together I'll probably take some foam and apply it to the inside edges. That should also make it a little quieter too!

I've still got some other parts to assemble and I've started looking at painting options. Lots to do.

Thanks for reading.
  19. 405th Pacific Regiment Member FlusherCape26's Avatar
    FlusherCape26's Xbox Gamertag FlusherCape26
    Jun 9, 2014, 9:29 AM - #18

This is a Sean Bradley armor kit isn't it?
  20. 405th Midwest Regiment Member Revenant1988's Avatar
    Jun 9, 2014, 9:41 AM - #19

Originally Posted by FlusherCape26 View Post
    This is a Sean Bradley armor kit isn't it?
    Yes sir! (See first post)

So far it's been a pleasure to work with. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to do an ODST, very efficient and the price is very good too!
  21. 405th Mountain Regiment Member Mstruvmgc's Avatar
    Jun 15, 2014, 5:47 AM - #20

Originally Posted by Revenant1988 View Post
    Venom isn't exactly a super villain... he just really wants Spider-man to not...be...alive.

As for the Flash, hop to it and make it happen!
    well i guess thats true yeah lol...

I will start is soonish :-D
  22. 405th Midwest Regiment Member Revenant1988's Avatar
    Jun 16, 2014, 8:25 PM - #21

Update time

I spent a little time here and there working on the kit, the bulk of the work was done over the weekend.

I was able to get the majority of the torso section done (trimmed, sanded, riveted, basic strapping)

It fits my back like a glove!

The sections are connected with strips of nylon webbing that's been riveted to the plates. Sean recommended to use scraps of the HIPS material, but I think I may not be the only one wearing this (especially when I get the Carnage suit done)so I opted for the flexibility instead. It still feels very solid. I'm not worried abou it tearing.

I found that an easy way to make the holes in the webbing for the rivets to slide through was to heat a file I had with a lighter and poke it through. This works better than a drill or dremel in my opinion because the nylon has a tendency to catch or dethread if the right amount of speed and pressure are not applied.

This was MUCH easier and the hot file seals the ends, so the possibility of tearing is minimized.

I was also able to cleanup the buckles and get them painted. I still plan to seal it with a clear coat and then black wash these.

Here is how the torso sections look on me so far

That's all for now.

I've slowly been making progress on on sewing the ends of the straps for the D-rings and such. It's a slow, tedious process, but I'm getting there.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Revenant1988; Jun 16, 2014 at 8:27 PM. Reason: bad code
  23. 405th Mountain Regiment Member Mstruvmgc's Avatar
    Jun 17, 2014, 7:38 AM - #22

Looks like it fits really well :-)
  24. 405th Midwest Regiment Member Revenant1988's Avatar
    Jun 20, 2014, 9:20 AM - #23

Tiny update- I've started the paint selection process and have begun testing different blends and ideas.

The left cup is "Toyota Black"
    The center cup is "Honda Royal Blue"
    The right cup is "Ford blue pearl"

The cups you see in the back are Krylon Gloss black (back left), Krylon Flat Black (back center), and then more Toyota black on the left.

What I'm going to be trying is lightly misting the two blues above to see if I can achieve a sort of blue sheen on the armor under certain lighting conditions and angles. I did this once before on my Brute Spiker kit and it came out very well. I'll be doing two specific things with the blues; I'm going to test

a.) Just a light mist of the blues on the blacks
    b.) Tape off the ribs of the black cups and spray them with the blues to accentuate the details, as if they were the edges of the armor pieces*.

Kinda hard to explain until I do it, but try picturing how the ODSTs look through VISR mode from the game (only way less neon in my case)

I hope to have the results soon. I've also started working on the stencil for the chest, which I know is what people really want to see haha
  25. 405th Southwest Regiment Member WandererTJ's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    WandererTJ's Xbox Gamertag Wanderer128
    Jun 20, 2014, 3:27 PM - #24

Keep up the awesome work, I'm loving it. I can't wait to see the white spider painted on the torso.

Where are you at with the eyes for the helmet? Still deciding or have you painted them on yet?
    I'm totally digging the ones in the first few pictures with the extra contours on the upper edges.

You should post a tutorial on how you are going to accomplish that painting effect if you decide you like it this time around.
    Jun 20, 2014, 3:31 PM - #25

dude this is looking awesome keep it up