Tutorial - How to convert .mdl0 to .obj for pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russett

Halo everyone! I thought i would share something pretty neat i did a few days ago.
This should help a lot of prop builders, cosplayers, and model editors.

Have you ever found yourself stuck on a project where virtually no pepakura models exist for?
Me too, and for months on end. pretty bad right? well check this tutorial out.

you will need a couple of programs to do this first of all

- A program called BrawlBox used to edit and replace characters models in super smash bros brawl for Nintendo Wii
BrawlBox0.71 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/awowmb3d66gjyvl/BrawlBox%20v0.71.zip
- A program called Pepakura, where if you import almost any standard 3d file, it will de-construct the file to give you basic papercraft constructions
Pepakura Designer - http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/
- And last, the Brawl Vault which is a website where you can download custom characters and/or stages for brawl
Brawl Vault - http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php

OKAY! first off, browse the website, click on characters and choose one. this will take you to a list of models where you can replace
the character you clicked on. For example I clicked on Samus and picked the Megaman X model from Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom.
So after you download it and extract it you will see a few files, but the only one you'll really need is the .pcs file.
next, open up BrawlBox, drag and drop the file and you will see a list. Expand the first group on the list, its folder, and the actual .md10. You should then see a folder called objects, expand that one too.
There you should see different parts of the object which is REALLY handy in case you want to scale a specific part.
So right click the object you want and click export. It will then ask you if you want to export the weighted portions of the vertices, click yes, then open up your new.obj file in pepakura. We're almost there!
Now in pepakura, go to file, and Save As. It will automatically convert it into a .PDO file for you.
Now if you want to add any missing parts like the forehead crystal or face, repeat the process, then go to file, import .PDO, and choose the missing parts you want. after that, you can save the file with the missing parts you added!
There you go! all done! Now i don't know how to merge the files into one part, but i manually do that after I print it out then make custom tabs for it.

To me, this is pretty awesome, because i have successfully obtained models like Megaman, Buzz Lightyear and the elusive Mewtwo armor!

As a note, i don't know how to add in the textures for the model into pepakura, but I am sure there's some tutorials out there somewhere. Or, if you do know, please share with us in the comments below!
I hope this helps with you prop builders and model editors out there, and I will definatley let you know if i found something again.

Please check out this video i made this morning for a visual explanation. And be sure to share, subscribe and comment on my channel! :)

If any of this is confusing to you i will try my best to make it more clear in the comments to help you out.

Until next time, this is Flying Spartan signing out.

----
- Flying Spartan

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back