How can we make the 405th great?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
As mentioned elsewhere, we are very excited to be managing this community! We think it has a tremendous amount of potential and want to see it grow and flourish, but we need YOUR help to do that! This thread is for posting your thoughts and ideas about 1) existing changes as they are made and 2) changes you would like to see made.

Please bear in mind that there is only a handful of us and 10s of thousands of you, so we may not respond to every post or comment on every idea but we WILL read and consider every idea, comment and even criticism. Some things we should be able to implement quickly and easily while others may take time or not be feasible at all. Be patient with us as we already have a tremendous backlog of things that need to be done, but one-by-one, we will get to them.

I think they should change the recent activity back to its old self. Instead of it disappearing after a certain amount of time, just have it syay there. Because I like to check out the threads often but now I have to search each one individually.

Upvote 0
http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php

I have been somewhat waiting on MissingSpartan7 to see if he is willing to move the 4Shared database here, but the thing is, others are welcome to upload as well! The biggest issue here will simply be one of organization.

I feel like we need a Master Librarian.

This will be very important, I think. If everyone is allowed to upload as they please I imagine we'll end up with a ton of duplicate files but more importantly, many creators and modelers' credit will be lost. I know a lot of people just save what they find without adding any creator info to the file name itself, so when stuff gets reposted they have no clue who it came from. In a community where so many people give up so much of their time to create these files and distribute for free, that could be a fairly big issue.

Upvote 0
I think they should change the recent activity back to its old self. Instead of it disappearing after a certain amount of time, just have it syay there. Because I like to check out the threads often but now I have to search each one individually.

I don't understand what you mean by this.

There are 4 sections where I look to find updated threads,
• the 1st is my Subscriptions
• 2nd, is "New Posts" which I think has definitely been improved. Previously, if I hit F5 (Refresh), anything that was there even if I hadn't refreshed it, would vanish if nothing was added to those threads between my previous F5 and the one I just did. Now the threads do stay there.
Now, instead of that, the "Search Results" you get when you click the "New Posts" button caps out at 5 pages, and has a nifty little point of reference in it as you scroll through: "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts."
And it does seem like they do stay in the list even if you have read them. But I will say it might be nice to have a section for latest/most up to date threads whether or not you have read them.
• 3rd, is the "405th Feed" also named the "Activity Stream", which actually shows you the latest posts, not just the threads with the latest posts in them. These also stay in the list even if you have read/viewed them.
• 4th, is the "New Posts" box on the home page that shows a little feed on the right side. I assume that this functions just like the other items.

So... I still am uncertain as to what you are referring to. :unsure
Maybe you didn't mean that marking things as "read" made them disappear, maybe they do vanish after a certain amount of time, idk...

@Art, I will say that the titles of the buttons at the top are a bit confusing. There is the "405th Feed" and there is "New Posts", but the 405th Feed / Activity Stream actually shows you the new posts within threads, with the results in post-view, whereas the "New Posts" button takes you to a list of threads that have the newest posts within them, with the results in Thread-view.

Maybe you could change "New Posts" to be "Threads with New Posts".
I know it isn't as concise, but it would make more sense.

Upvote 0
I don't understand what you mean by this.

There are 4 sections where I look to find updated threads,
• the 1st is my Subscriptions
• 2nd, is "New Posts" which I think has definitely been improved. Previously, if I hit F5 (Refresh), anything that was there even if I hadn't refreshed it, would vanish if nothing was added to those threads between my previous F5 and the one I just did. Now the threads do stay there.
Now, instead of that, the "Search Results" you get when you click the "New Posts" button caps out at 5 pages, and has a nifty little point of reference in it as you scroll through: "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts."
And it does seem like they do stay in the list even if you have read them. But I will say it might be nice to have a section for latest/most up to date threads whether or not you have read them.
• 3rd, is the "405th Feed" also named the "Activity Stream", which actually shows you the latest posts, not just the threads with the latest posts in them. These also stay in the list even if you have read/viewed them.
• 4th, is the "New Posts" box on the home page that shows a little feed on the right side. I assume that this functions just like the other items.

So... I still am uncertain as to what you are referring to. :unsure
Maybe you didn't mean that marking things as "read" made them disappear, maybe they do vanish after a certain amount of time, idk...

@Art, I will say that the titles of the buttons at the top are a bit confusing. There is the "405th Feed" and there is "New Posts", but the 405th Feed / Activity Stream actually shows you the new posts within threads, with the results in post-view, whereas the "New Posts" button takes you to a list of threads that have the newest posts within them, with the results in Thread-view.

Maybe you could change "New Posts" to be "Threads with New Posts".
I know it isn't as concise, but it would make more sense.

I found everything, my bad :3 I didn't relise that the update made it a little more like RPF.com

Upvote 0
RE: File Archive
So, I really like that there is a tab/button for the File Archive up at the top now.
I also really like how things are sorted.
I've caught a few things though.

There is an inconsistency with these 3 items:
Halo CE - CE Anniversary
Halo 2 / 2 Anniversary
Halo 3 / 3: ODST
Halo 2 and 3 have a "/" while Halo CE has a "-". It would be better if they all used the same symbol/separator.

The other thing I noticed was an issue with the styling, which is most likely caused by the automatic extra line that the "

Upvote 0
This will be very important, I think. If everyone is allowed to upload as they please I imagine we'll end up with a ton of duplicate files but more importantly, many creators and modelers' credit will be lost. I know a lot of people just save what they find without adding any creator info to the file name itself, so when stuff gets reposted they have no clue who it came from. In a community where so many people give up so much of their time to create these files and distribute for free, that could be a fairly big issue.

This is why I am hoping to hear from MS7 sooner rather than later...

Upvote 0
Corrected the naming inconsistancy and changed the preview image. Will take a look at the styling to see what is possible.

RE: File Archive
So, I really like that there is a tab/button for the File Archive up at the top now.
I also really like how things are sorted.
I've caught a few things though.

There is an inconsistency with these 3 items:
Halo CE - CE Anniversary
Halo 2 / 2 Anniversary
Halo 3 / 3: ODST
Halo 2 and 3 have a "/" while Halo CE has a "-". It would be better if they all used the same symbol/separator.

The other thing I noticed was an issue with the styling, which is most likely caused by the automatic extra line that the "

Upvote 0
Art Andrews said:
We will soon be implementing a seller feedback system. Not sure why those offering services can't do that in the existing Marketplace. If you have more thoughts on this, I am open to hearing them.

If I remember correctly, the current marketplace (formerly the Classifieds section) was 1) restricted to Infantryman and above, so not everyone could make use of it, and 2) I do believe there was a rule in place against using the 405th classifieds for commissions because the main focus and purpose of the 405th was to teach people how to make their own rather than buying someone else's work. Plus there's the quagmire of copyright restrictions, very obvious ones if using game-ripped assets and less obvious when using community-made models. I'd imagine short of receiving a "royalty payment," most of our 3D modelers would not appreciate someone using their models (the result of many hours of effort) to build a master mold and sell off completed armor/props or even kits. Even on a "made to order" basis, let's say someone takes one of Crimmson's torso files, Satchmo's helmet files, game-ripped arm and leg models, and then one of Justinian's "unfinished" weapon kits, assembled a full suit, and then sold it as a commission (and obviously, for a profit above material/kit costs). That is still essentially stealing three community member's work (as well as official Microsoft copyrighted material) and making money off it without any of the "derivative parties" receiving any payment (aside from Justinian getting the cost of the unfinished kit obviously) or necessarily even any kind of credit for their work. I believe that is why commissions as far as actual builds go were pretty much forbidden. Now if someone wanted to commission a modeler to create a custom pepakura file, or wanted to commission a scratch-built propmaker to create a one-off piece for them, that would be different, although for the one off the builder would be completely within their rights to add the stipulation that the commissioner cannot create a mold of their work to sell off copies.

Basically, it's a complicated and messy business of many tangled webs interwoven together, so the old regime simplified the mess by saying "no" altogether. If there can be some kind of appropriate contract agreement created between modelers, unfolders (that is tedious work as well and modelers do not always have the time to take on that aspect of the Pepakura process), and builders that is mutually beneficial and agreeable across the board, maybe commissions could become more "mainstream,"but this is definitely an area in which the proper care must be taken so that no one is slighted.

Upvote 0
If I remember correctly, the current marketplace (formerly the Classifieds section) was 1) restricted to Infantryman and above, so not everyone could make use of it, and 2) I do believe there was a rule in place against using the 405th classifieds for commissions because the main focus and purpose of the 405th was to teach people how to make their own rather than buying someone else's work. Plus there's the quagmire of copyright restrictions, very obvious ones if using game-ripped assets and less obvious when using community-made models. I'd imagine short of receiving a "royalty payment," most of our 3D modelers would not appreciate someone using their models (the result of many hours of effort) to build a master mold and sell off completed armor/props or even kits. Even on a "made to order" basis, let's say someone takes one of Crimmson's torso files, Satchmo's helmet files, game-ripped arm and leg models, and then one of Justinian's "unfinished" weapon kits, assembled a full suit, and then sold it as a commission (and obviously, for a profit above material/kit costs). That is still essentially stealing three community member's work (as well as official Microsoft copyrighted material) and making money off it without any of the "derivative parties" receiving any payment (aside from Justinian getting the cost of the unfinished kit obviously) or necessarily even any kind of credit for their work. I believe that is why commissions as far as actual builds go were pretty much forbidden. Now if someone wanted to commission a modeler to create a custom pepakura file, or wanted to commission a scratch-built propmaker to create a one-off piece for them, that would be different, although for the one off the builder would be completely within their rights to add the stipulation that the commissioner cannot create a mold of their work to sell off copies.

Basically, it's a complicated and messy business of many tangled webs interwoven together, so the old regime simplified the mess by saying "no" altogether. If there can be some kind of appropriate contract agreement created between modelers, unfolders (that is tedious work as well and modelers do not always have the time to take on that aspect of the Pepakura process), and builders that is mutually beneficial and agreeable across the board, maybe commissions could become more "mainstream,"but this is definitely an area in which the proper care must be taken so that no one is slighted.

Thank you for laying that out. It does bring up some concerns that haven't been a core issue for us in the past and to be honest, this is an area, as you said, that is a bit dicey.

Microsoft takes a fairly lenient policy towards its fans, but lets make no mistake that a lot of what is done in the costume community already falls outside of their guidelines. To a degree it is "in for a penny, in for a pound" and we could try to make excuses or justify what is done, but from a legal standpoint, it isn't going to change the fact that legally, there are areas that this hobby simply overreaches Microsoft's stated guidelines. With that said, we would be foolish to be so bold as to give Microsoft the finger and be overtly blatant in our disregard of their polices. The approach that usually works is to step softly and carefully and they are willing to allow a lot of water to flow under the bridge (I know... a lot of metaphors, but this topic is a minefield).

The issue of commissioning builds is indeed a tricky one. Personally, I don't see an issue with someone who is commissioned to build a project using files that are freely available here or elsewhere on the net. The builder is not being paid for the files. They are being paid for the build itself. The same would be said with your hypothetical about the pistol. Why should the maker of the pistol care that someone else is being paid to finish it out if they are paid for the kit? Would we feel differently if the maker finished it out and sold it at a higher price? Now... these are my personal opinions, off the top of my head... NOT POLICY. I'd certainly be interested in discussing it more and getting more opinions.

Upvote 0
Perhaps another discussion thread could be made to specifically field questions and concerns about commissioning and get more input from the modelers, mold/kit makers, etc.. I can only voice an opinion from the perspective of the "amatuer" and occasional unfolder, although the majority of files I have unfolded were already unfolded to begin with, I just edited the unfold by what I feel are more logical or easier to work with pieces. Having never done 3D modeling, molding/casting, or even finishing a single piece from pep to paint, my perspective on how much works goes in and how someone would feel if others were making money using their templates is purely theoretical.

Upvote 0
Hey Art,

Im excited about the changes coming the 405th, but I had a couple of questions regarding the Regiments.

Will a regiment be added each state in the United States, or will it be mainly be just main areas of the United States?
For example I live in New Mexico, will it be classified specifically New Mexico or just the South West region?

I Have no absolutely problem with the regiments its just it would be easier to find fellow members in the same area...

Before I forget... Will there be any feature that allows you to edit your username? I know it wasnt allowed in the past but because of new ownership, Would there be a possibility?

I think what you are doing is great, and thank you for making our community a better place... :)
Halo 3 Props

Upvote 0
Way too early to say on the first question. Absolutely on the second. As I mentioned earlier, formalizing a club will mean formalizing standards and requirements. The important thing is to actually offer something useful and positive and not simply make it a list of DON'Ts.

I've got to admit, as it sounds now, I'm not a fan of this(I'm really hoping it's not as snobbish as it sounds to me). It's too much like the 501st. It's like saying "Hey, it's great that you want to build armor and join the region's group, but sorry, you have to have "X" to get in." Shouldn't it be enough to be involved with the community, whether you're just getting the information to build your first or have a Legendary quality suit and live in a certain region?

Don't get me wrong, I'm liking the vast majority of what's been going on, and I'm excited to see what happens in the near future for this place. But the three conventions I've gone to since my armor was complete people ask me where to go to build their own, and I always point to this place.

Upvote 0
Will a regiment be added each state in the United States, or will it be mainly be just main areas of the United States?
For example I live in New Mexico, will it be classified specifically New Mexico or just the South West region?

WE (as in the administration of the community) will not establish Regiments. Once we get things up and running, there will be an application for a Regiment that will require certain things. YOU (the members) will determine what Regiments are formed and what areas they cover. We will only approve what you submit to us. Remember, this community is MEMBER DRIVEN.

Let's take the Pacific Regiment right now (while currently unofficial, we fully hope and expect they will become the first official 405th Regiment). The Pacific Regiment currently covers California, Oregon and Washington. If they continue to grow, at some point it will make sense for them to divide, not due to conflict but simply due to the vast distance they cover and that, at its heart, a Regiment is about bringing local members together so they can plan events. At some point you might see Washington break off of California break off into its own Regiment. The same might happen for the Midwest Regiment... but again, that isn't up to us to decide. The Regiments will determine these things for themselves and within the guidelines set down by the Charter, will to a large degree govern themselves. We have little interest in micromanaging these groups as they are filled with people fully capable of managing themselves.

I Have no absolutely problem with the regiments its just it would be easier to find fellow members in the same area...

When we develop the criteria for what a Regiment must have, if you can meet those criteria, your Regiment can cover whatever Geographic area makes sense to you and your fellow Regiment members.

Before I forget... Will there be any feature that allows you to edit your username? I know it wasnt allowed in the past but because of new ownership, Would there be a possibility?

What do you want your name to be? We don't allow you to change your name yourself, but within reason, we don't mind changing your name. Just know that you will have a tag below your name with your old name for 6 months so people know who you are.

Upvote 0
I've got to admit, as it sounds now, I'm not a fan of this(I'm really hoping it's not as snobbish as it sounds to me). It's too much like the 501st. It's like saying "Hey, it's great that you want to build armor and join the region's group, but sorry, you have to have "X" to get in." Shouldn't it be enough to be involved with the community, whether you're just getting the information to build your first or have a Legendary quality suit and live in a certain region?

Don't get me wrong, I'm liking the vast majority of what's been going on, and I'm excited to see what happens in the near future for this place. But the three conventions I've gone to since my armor was complete people ask me where to go to build their own, and I always point to this place.

Trust me... I am VERY sensitive to the shortcomings of the 501st in certain aspects. We WILL have standards and requirements, but our goal is to include and encourage, not exclude and run people off. What good is a community if it has no members?

Upvote 0
Trust me... I am VERY sensitive to the shortcomings of the 501st in certain aspects. We WILL have standards and requirements, but our goal is to include and encourage, not exclude and run people off. What good is a community if it has no members?

That does put me at ease for the most part. I shall remain cautiously optimistic. I want this community to grow and flourish, and it does sound like you do as well.

Upvote 0
That does put me at ease for the most part. I shall remain cautiously optimistic. I want this community to grow and flourish, and it does sound like you do as well.

I do, very much! I am very excited to see it flourish.

I had a fantastic phone call with two of the leaders from the Pacific Regiment today and it did nothing but reinforcement my feeling that this is an amazing community that could be even MORE amazing with just a bit of a push and we hope to provide a launching pad for it.

Upvote 0

I'm with ColFork85 on this.

Something about the whole Regiments/Clubs thing bothers me. It just seems like it will make things diverge quickly.

All I want is a way to communicate with other members near me. I don't care to be a part of a regiment necessarily, I just want us to all be the 405th. Putting a name on our different regions is going to cause certain individuals in those regions to think that theirs is better than others. I can see one region not wanting to share their files with other regions, and I really don't want to see that happen.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back