How can we make the 405th great?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
As mentioned elsewhere, we are very excited to be managing this community! We think it has a tremendous amount of potential and want to see it grow and flourish, but we need YOUR help to do that! This thread is for posting your thoughts and ideas about 1) existing changes as they are made and 2) changes you would like to see made.

Please bear in mind that there is only a handful of us and 10s of thousands of you, so we may not respond to every post or comment on every idea but we WILL read and consider every idea, comment and even criticism. Some things we should be able to implement quickly and easily while others may take time or not be feasible at all. Be patient with us as we already have a tremendous backlog of things that need to be done, but one-by-one, we will get to them.

I'm in the 501st and I've seen lots of others from similar cosplay groups on here so we can definitely help when it comes to structure and organization. The 501st has a lot of infrastructure already that the 405th can pick and chose from. I personally like the local unit structure...it helps to build a local community and keep members in touch and active with each other.

Upvote 0
I like the idea... but I have never seen this done from a technical standpoint. I'd have to see what it would take to accomplish this on the coding side.

I had an idea regarding easily identifying threads with just a quick look. Prefixes would be great but after just looking down over the list in the "New Posts" option there's still a lot of reading involved to determine what each thread is about. I thought about color coding, but what about a graphic kind of like the plasma grenade one for 'stickies'. I hammer for build threads. Question mark for help/discussion threads. Events, groups, etc. A graphic would be quickly and almost instantly recognizable.

These are just some examples I found on the web that we could base the graphics on and miniaturize to include next to the titles of threads. Perhaps even use other existing Halo Emblems to generate these.
Examples:
View attachment 876View attachment 877
View attachment 878View attachment 879

What'd ya think?

Upvote 0
All I can do is think of poor Donut with the plasma grenade stuck to the side of his head... skip to 3:23

Warning: Language...

Just want to say, going through the Stickies for the new Sticky Indexes is making me really appreciate this.
It's a small detail but I have spent a pretty large amount of time throughout the years looking at the blocks of Stuck threads, and this is just very cool little change.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All I can do is think of poor Donut with the plasma grenade stuck to the side of his head... skip to 3:23

Hah that's great!

I'm currently working on the Stuck Thread Indexes, so far I've got the New Recruits, Pepakura & Cardboard Armor, Conventions & Prop Parties, and General Halo Discussion sections done.
The Index Threads are posted, and all old Stuck threads have been Unstuck.

I am open to suggestions if anyone has any.

Upvote 0
I'm currently working on the Stuck Thread Indexes, so far I've got the New Recruits, Pepakura & Cardboard Armor, Conventions & Prop Parties, and General Halo Discussion sections done.
The Index Threads are posted, and all old Stuck threads have been Unstuck.

So much better!!!

Upvote 0
As a thought. If we do indeed go with local chapters then it might be an idea to have a mod in each chapter / timezone. That way there is always a mod online.

Upvote 0
As a thought. If we do indeed go with local chapters then it might be an idea to have a mod in each chapter / timezone. That way there is always a mod online.

To a large degree, we would expect the local forums to police themselves so that should be handled almost automatically.

Upvote 0
What about the stuck on you logo?
StuckEmblem.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know what happened there..:) I deleted the attachment, or thought I did..:)

Attachments

• c1f701f26390.jpg
    c1f701f26390.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 337
Upvote 0
A 3D, visual index of pepakura files.

I found this:
Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.
"This project provides a 3d object viewer for presenting 3d models and small scenes on a web page."

I think a good shortcut would be tools to automate exporting OBJs from PDOs, which is just a few clicks within Pepakura Designer, and adding all of these to whichever directory the viewer runs from. Then site users could in essence flip through our pepakura database almost directly. Could this run within a virtualized machine on your servers? Something like..
file archive->pepakura viewer(clicked-through by.. visual basic? in a vm?)->stripped OBJ directory->special 405th page with embedded viewer.

Their code also works with STL files. Perhaps as 3d printing grows, we can become a specialized home for those files, too. Might be applicable to the RPF, too.

Upvote 0
Art,
i've notices that on my main profile page It only tracks my most recent post entries as well as those of my friends, back only about a week. This is a problem for me, as I have terrible memory regarding where and when I posted something especially when I need to reference it. It was so much easier when I could scroll back through my own activity.

Otherwise love what you've done with the place. It has that nice homey feel... like a good foxhole... just sprinkle a little blood here... and a little there... remove the extra ammo and rations... Just like Home!

Upvote 0
axmaxwell You can get to your older history. At the very bottom there is a small line that says read more. Click on that and it will expand your history list back further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Ashuraa
I don't have that on mine. I know I have posts going back 6 months or so but I can only see the last 6 days. The small line at the bottom of mine says No More Results

Upvote 0
Ashuraa
I don't have that on mine. I know I have posts going back 6 months or so but I can only see the last 6 days. The small line at the bottom of mine says No More Results
Ok, I found another method that might work for you. On your profile page, click on view recent posts, it takes me to all posts I have made sense I started here 3 weeks ago.

It should look like this..
posts_zps10c053f5.png

And here is one of your old posts..

posts2_zpsd0902437.png

Attachments

• posts_zps10c053f5.png
    posts_zps10c053f5.png
    109.6 KB · Views: 350
  • posts2_zpsd0902437.png
    posts2_zpsd0902437.png
    197.1 KB · Views: 367
Upvote 0
I hope I’m not out of line for making this suggestion, but it’s a little something I’ve been thinking of. It is adding a rank structure to the membership of the site to show numbers of troops, officer positions, and honorary members.

The rank structures are split into four categories: Member Ranks, Voted Ranks, Appointed Ranks, and Awarded Ranks. I am only giving the Navy Ranks, but some may prefer Marine Ranks. That would be dependent on how difficult it would be to code those.

MEMBER RANKS
Member ranks are for people to show off how long they have been in armor. It starts with someone who registers with the forum, receiving a rank of Candidate (no matter whether they are a visor or a costumer). When they complete their costume and it is approved, they immediately receive the rank of Petty Officer Second Class. Now is where it gets a little more fun.

Each event that a person does has a point value assigned to it. The number of points each event has is determined by the number of characters (in costume) at the event. A birthday party with three characters would be worth three points. A parade with seven characters would be worth seven points. A convention with eleven characters would be worth eleven points. If an event is organized by 343i, or 343i is present and the costumer troops with them, then the point total for that event is doubled.

What do the points get? At 125 points, the member is promoted to Petty Officer First Class. At 250 points, the member is promoted to Chief Petty Officer. At 500 points, they are promoted to Senior Chief. Finally, at 1000 points, they are promoted to the coveted rank of Master Chief Petty Officer.

The higher ranks cannot be earned in just a couple of years, though it is possible to earn PO1 in a year if you troop hard. The numbers also encourage recruitment without outright offering incentives to troop. The rank itself can even be officially used on “custom” armor (non-face character).

VOTED RANKS
I don’t know how voting is going to go, whether there will be a legacy commander, or what is going to happen. However, with my idea for Time-In-Club ranks, it would be beneficial to offer a similar ranking structure for officers of the club. For that reason, I am suggesting the following organization and rank structure.

The Division as a whole will be commanded by a Vice Admiral. The Division XO will have the rank of Rear Admiral (Upper Half), and members voted into Staff Officer positions (council members) will have the rank of Rear Admiral (Lower Half).

Regimental positions are not part of a geographical grouping, but are differentiated by costume types. This is similar to the Detachments in the 501st, but are for our costumes. The Regiments would be Spartan, ODST, Marine, A.I., Uniformed Services (soft costumes), and Covenant. This isn’t a complete list, but you get the idea. The Regimental Commander would be ranked as a Captain with the Executive ranked as a Commander. Their positions would be voted on by the costumers within the Regiment (one costumer could belong to multiple regiments).

Battalions are the geographical groupings of the various smaller units. These would be similar to the Mandalorian Mercs Regions than to anything in the 501st. Right now we have Pacific, Midwest, and United Kingdom regional groups. The Battalion Commander would be a Lieutenant Commander with the Executive as a Lieutenant. They would be voted into their position by the companies under them.

Mirroring the Garrisons of the 501st, would be the Company level groups. There is not much I can say here that hasn’t already been said before. The Company Commander would be a Lieutenant Junior Grade with the Company Executive being an Ensign.

The smallest designation for the group would be the Fireteam. Fireteams would mirror Squads within the 501st, but also would be similar to Outposts. A Fireteam would be a smaller unit within the Company that is geographically separate from the rest of the Company (such as an Oregon/Washington Company organizing into two Fireteams with one in each state). It is possible for a Fireteam to be part of a Company or to be isolated from other Company elements. Fireteams are not lead by an officer, but by a Warrant Officer-1, who is voted into their position by the members of the Fireteam. The Warrant Officer-1 is only considered an officer if the Fireteam is not associated with a Company

APPOINTED RANKS
Within the 405th, there will be positions that are appointed into service rather than elected. These positions include things like Webmaster, Costume Judge, Captain of the Guard, and others. For these positions, there will be Warrant Officer Ranks. Specifically, Chief Warrant Officer ranks. They do not have the full effect of an officer, but are set apart from normal members.

The Company level appointments will be ranked as Chief Warrant Officer-2. Battalion level appoints will be ranked as Chief Warrant Officer-3. Regiment-level appointments, primarily costume judges, will be ranked as Chief Warrant Officer-4. Division appointments, such as main site webmaster and Captain of the Guard, will have the rank of Master Chief Warrant Officer-5.

AWARDED RANKS
Awarded ranks are given to members and outsiders based on their participation within the 405th or Halo community.

Every year, there is a vote at the Company level to determine Member of the Year. The person who wins Member of the Year will receive a boost of 25 points toward their Member Rank. These winners will be forwarded up to the 405th Staff officers who will choose one member from every Battalion to put forward to the costume group as a whole to vote for 405th member of the year. The winner of that vote will receive a boost of 50 points toward their Member Rank. Finally, each Regiment will hold a Costume of the Year amongst its members, who will be awarded 25 points toward their Member Rank.

Each costumer can win at the Company level only once in their lifetime. Likewise, a costumer can only win at the Regimental level once for each costume (if they have 5 Spartans and an ODST, they can win up to 6 Regimental honors).

Once a member has reached the rank of Master Chief Petty Officer within the 405th, they will be eligible for a new rank. The member with the highest Member Rank total will receive the rank of Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy.

Finally, the position of Admiral would be awarded to members of the outside community who have been a part of Halo. This is similar to the honorary member of the Legion given by the 501st to cast, crew, artists, etc. of Star Wars. It would be accompanied by a plaque or some such.

Upvote 0
An immediate complication I see with the member ranks point system is that it's not something that can be coded. It would have to be manually adjusted for each individual member bearing verification of their actually being at the event in question, proving they are in costume, and proving the number of other costumed individuals in attendance, which only adds to the complication and honestly, I think as much fun as having "official" sounding ranks might be, many members have chosen ranks and even created entire backstories and histories to go with their costumes (Even those who haven't actually built one yet) which would likely be in conflict with their 405th-related ranking. The subject of ranks was discussed at great length (and unfortunately widely off-topic) in the 405th Logo reveal thread, including many different suggestions not only for what the ranks would be, but how they could be earned, as well as several point/counter-point debates on whether we should even bother making things any more complicated, especially right now with the changing of hands and restructuring of the 405th on the administrative level. But there is certainly interest in a ranking system beyond the old member-infantryman-staff line. Perhaps when other aspects that take priority have been settled a new thread might be started to further discuss the implementation of a ranking system. I, personally, have been opposed to a system dependent solely on costume building and convention attendance because 1) not everyone can afford to go to a convention, 2) not everyone has the time and/or funds to make a full suit within the foreseeable future, 3) not everyone is interested in building suits, instead focusing more on weapons, props, and accessories, and lastly 4) some members have little to no interest in building anything themselves at all and instead simply wish to share in the interest of Halo itself and/or contribute towards others through modeling and offering tips and advice without any plans to physically build anything of their own. Each of these four categories would be completely left out by any system that focuses solely on suits and cons.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back