New Community Guidelines, Terms of Use and Privacy Policy - All Please Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
As with all of our communities, we have a unified Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines. We do this to help ensure consistency between our communities since so many of you are members on more than one of our sites.

Please carefully read over all three documents.

http://moviepropsites.com/about/community-guidelines/

http://moviepropsites.com/about/terms-of-use/

http://moviepropsites.com/about/privacy-policy/

If for any reason you cannot agree to follow these documents, please let us know so we can close your account. If we have not heard from you within 14 days of this posting, you are agreeing to follow these new guidelines.

*If for any reason, you feel that there is something amiss in these documents or that conflicts with a previous rule here on the 405th, please feel free to bring it to our attention. With that being said, these rules supersede all previous rules and Terms of Use.

I agree and have read through them.

game ripped content, where does this fall into the terms? I am asking since we use a lot of them.

Would you be able to post a link to the creative commons license pertaining to this?

Upvote 0
game ripped content, where does this fall into the terms? I am asking since we use a lot of them.

Community Guidelines, section 2J states: "Illicit Information/Content. Please refrain from posting/linking/requesting pirated content, or paid subscription content."

Let us not kid ourselves that we exist at the leniency of Microsoft and 343 Industries. Much like Lucasfilm, they SEEM to have found value in the free advertising we provide for their products as well as the voracious custom base we help foster. But do not kid yourself for a moment; Halo belongs to them, so we need to be careful about what we do. As members have been game ripping for years for the sole purpose of creating costumes and props, we do not personally consider this pirated material as it does not directly compete with their retail sale of product. However, that is our personal take, not legal advice. We will not stop members from using game ripped content for the creation of costumes anymore than we would stop members on our other sites from using screengrabs from their favorite films to create costumes. However, the day may come when Microsoft steps in and if they do, we will be forced to comply with anything they demand.

Section 2J is mostly focused on things like torrent files. If someone offered up the full Halo games for free, they would be in conflict with section 2J.

Upvote 0
It states that our profile must include an accurate first name. I guess I'm still a noob extraordinaire because I cannot find anywhere in my profile settings for entering a first name. Where is it?

Upvote 0
I'm no legal expert but I believe the game-ripped content, at least when Bungie was holding the reins, was allowed for the sake of armor building so long as it was done for personal use only, in much the same way copyrighted intellectual property (characters, locations, etc.) was allowed to be used for fan art. No buying, selling, commissioning, etc., by absolutely no means is anyone outside of Microsoft/Bungie/343 permitted to make any form of monetary gain from game-ripped assets, however.

Upvote 0
I think the biggest reason the 405th is able to get away with the game rips is that outside of the forums, no one ever sees it. It's used to complete a different product which is unrecognizeable from the original source. Compare that to using it in art, fan games, or even VFX in fan films.

Game rips are definitely the biggest thing 343i will jump on, from personal experience, but I doubt they're going to start browsing through 405th threads just to find them. So unless someone decides to wear an unfinished pep that sports game textures on it, 343i will *hopefully* take a "we see nothing" approach.

Upvote 0
yeah section M might be a problem for some of us die heart fans that speak elite. or forerunner...

plus some of the new rules are lets say killing the old ways like blackouts ships, or crimsons models in a way its stripping the idea of us going a member and getting a copy. without the idea of being targeted by the high ups for doing that. I feel like I'm part of ONI.

Upvote 0
yeah section M might be a problem for some of us die heart fans that speak elite. or forerunner...

You can Wort! Wort! Wort! all you want. ;)

plus some of the new rules are lets say killing the old ways like blackouts ships, or crimsons models in a way its stripping the idea of us going a member and getting a copy. without the idea of being targeted by the high ups for doing that. I feel like I'm part of ONI.

Not sure I follow you.

Upvote 0
quick question with all the things not to do are those things that people have actually done, kinda like the crazy things on the back of medicine bottles and stuff?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back