Halo Reach Spartan Build WIP (first attempt- PIC Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty

First off, I'm new to the 405th. I've read tons of the builds and tutorials here on the site; you guys do some excellent work.

I'm beginning my first build, a customized Commander Carter'ish armor. My idea is to use Carters armor as a starting point for a custom Halo Reach costume. I'm planning to do a burnt tangerine primary color with grey and black as my secondary colors. I’m also planning to use a Blue visor with a honeycomb pattern.

Thankfully I have two good friends who just finished their ODST costumes for Comic Con in San Diego next week. Between the 405th and these guys what could go wrong?

IMG_0432.JPG

(If you see these guys next week at Comic Con let them know they are famous)

Okay, I like to start with what I’ve been told is arguably the most time consuming and difficult piece of the equation… the helmet.

IMG_0372.JPG
(Freshly Peped)

This was an experience (5 days in the making)

After a quick trip to the Home Depot for supplies

Dermel – With flex extension (I highly recommend this)
Safety Glasses
Dust Masks
Gloves
Fiberglass and Finishing : Resin, Cloth, Bondo, Cups, Brushes, and Hardener
Sand paper ( 80, 400, 600)
Hand Plainer (Removes Bondo while it’s still soft)

it’s time to resin.

IMG_0404.JPG

I find that if you use about 2 less drops per ounce of hardener in the resin that you greatly increase your likely hood of completing any fiberglass work before it hardens.

IMG_0392.JPG

Time to cut out the visor and slots for my custom mesh panels. (spoiler)

After about 3 hours of Dremel use prepping my helmet for sanding and Bondo, my brand new Dremel took the coward’s way out, Suicide!. Thankfully, I bought the extended 2 year warranty, so the jokes on you home depot.

Now for some Bondo and sanding.

IMG_0425.JPGIMG_0428.JPG

That’s all for now, thanks for reading. I should have more updates tomorrow.

Comming soon....
IMG_0395.JPGIMG_0394.JPG

Okay so long weekend with loads of work or rather corrections to my original work. I’ve found that over doing the hot glue while peping is a big mistake.

I'm nearly 50 hours in to this helmet after today.

I decided to put a raised fan hole in the rear of the helmet covered with a mesh cover. The hole is big enough for a 40mm 5v fan. I'm not sure if that will be enough yet to push air out of the mesh effectively.

IMG_0448.JPGIMG_0450.JPGIMG_0455.JPG

I traced the fan outlines onto a piece of galvanize steel that we had lying around. After a couple of score marked on one side, the steel bent pretty easily giving me a pretty crisp 90` angle.

IMG_0449.JPG

Here is the basic idea -paint....

IMG_0452.JPGIMG_0451.JPG

While I was cutting the hole for the fan, i decided to cut out the design that is in the rear of this helmet and fiberglass it inside the helmet to create a recessed piece instead of just cutting the lines here. (i'm not complying the commando helmet completely)

IMG_0454.JPG

Night pictures of the progress thus far.If you too noticed the bubbles under the recessed piece then you may be guessing I tried to speed up the cure time with a heat gun. Unfortunately the paper started to separate from the fiberglass. I decided to cut all of the card stock off and it actually pretty smooth.

IMG_0459.JPGIMG_0460.JPGIMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0462.JPG

This is a pretty good view of my decision to change the edge on the right upper side of the helmet orientation from a valley to a mountain (in pep talk).

IMG_0461.JPGIMG_0463.JPG

Due to my amazing Pepakura work there was a fairly large dent that i covered with a lump of bond.

IMG_0458.JPG

More to come.

IMG_0468.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0454.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_0459.JPG

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0461.JPG

IMG_0462.JPG

IMG_0463.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so long weekend with loads of work or rather corrections to my original work. I’ve found that over doing the hot glue while peping is a big mistake.

I'm nearly 50 hours in to this helmet after today.

I decided to put a raised fan hole in the rear of the helmet covered with a mesh cover. The hole is big enough for a 40mm 5v fan. I'm not sure if that will be enough yet to push air out of the mesh effectively.

View attachment 922

View attachment 919

View attachment 920

I traced the fan outlines onto a piece of galvanize steel that we had lying around. After a couple of score marked on one side, the steel bent pretty easily giving me a pretty crisp 90` angle.

View attachment 921

Here is the basic idea -paint....

View attachment 923

While I was cutting the hole for the fan, i decided to cut out the design that is in the rear of this helmet and fiberglass it inside the helmet to create a recessed piece instead of just cutting the lines here. (i'm not complying the commando helmet completely)

View attachment 924

Night pictures of the progress thus far.If you too noticed the bubbles under the recessed piece then you may be guessing I tried to speed up the cure time with a heat gun. Unfortunately the paper started to separate from the fiberglass. I decided to cut all of the card stock off and it actually pretty smooth.

View attachment 926View attachment 927

View attachment 929View attachment 930

View attachment 932

This is a pretty good view of my decision to change the edge on the right upper side of the helmet orientation from a valley to a mountain (in pep talk).

View attachment 931View attachment 933

Due to my amazing Pepakura work there was a fairly large dent that i covered with a lump of bond.

View attachment 928

More to come.

I dont know if its just me, but i can not see any of your attachments... :-(

Helmet and armor look great though from first post :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see the attachments in your second post either. The helmet looks GREAT though, very good job on the pepping!

I think I have the issue with my pictures not showing up fixed.

I decided to spray a quick coat of primer on the helmet to get a better idea of what this thing is shaping up to look like. Just after I started sanding I found another huge air bubble/hot glue cancer in the cheek piece. Such is life though.

IMG_0467.JPGIMG_0469.JPG

I also started working on the inner edge for mounting a visor. After extensive sanding on the inside, I was about 85% perfect all the way around. So I cut a piece of manila folder to tape in place and bonded the edges.

IMG_0475.JPGIMG_0471.JPG

I smashed enough passed the paper to create a nearly perfect 1/4” flat spot all the way around.

IMG_0481.JPG

I also cut out the bracket for my fan and primed it.

IMG_0482.JPGIMG_0483.JPG

Here are some rough pictures, post visor mold, while the paper was in and after I ripped it out. Also after I re-fiber glassed my cancer piece. Everything still needs to be sanded.

IMG_0472.JPGIMG_0473.JPGIMG_0476.JPG

IMG_0484.JPGIMG_0485.JPGIMG_0486.JPG

I dont know if i mentioned it before but i did also cut a nose hole that will be covered with the same mesh as the rear fan. This should help my breath to leave the helmet easier.

IMG_0488.JPG
IMG_0488.JPG

I this is probably my last post untill next week unless my LED's or visor come in.

Looking really nice keep it up. Also Matty do you have a full picture of what you are wanting the finished product to look like ?

sweet i can see all the pics :)
everything is looking great. Interesting place for a fan, Are you going to have it blow in towards you or out of the helmet?
Looks great, keep up the good work

Artifice,

No i don't have much of an overall picture yet. My home computer is a mac so i'll have to wait until I'm in the office to use the vanity program and piece it all together. That should be up today some time.

Mstruvmgc,

Thanks. The fan will be an exhaust fan blowing out. I plan to put another one near my mouth similar to the turbine fan on Westaby.net.

turbine.jpg

I'm not a very big guy, 5'11 175lbs, so i don't think heat will be a huge deal. My buddies that i mentioned in the first post had no problems last year.

I'm pretty excited to get the electronics inside so i can start building my padding system.

Looking really nice keep it up. Also Matty do you have a full picture of what you are wanting the finished product to look like ?

This is the general idea i'm shooting for.

Vanity_635416181904001053.png

But as i said before, i'm using noticibly bluer visor than in this picture. I may also use the ODST chest piece also, we will see...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back