Discussion: Membership requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagger06

Please use this thread to leave feedback regarding our current membership requirements.

I want to specify that all of these requirements are old and void. They are posted for reference ONLY. Once the official Division reqs are posted, we will rewrite ours to align properly with them. This is for discussion purposes only.

=====

Below is a copy of our old requirements as they appear in our FB group:

Requirements: Vouched for by Current Member
A current member must vouch that the member meets the other requirements and is willing to abide by the rules of conduct.

Completed Custom Halo Costume
The 405th is a focused on the creation of Halo costumes. As such, members must own a completed Halo-oriented costume.

Examples of some acceptable costumes

• Kit builds (e.g. Sean Bradley ODSTs)
  • Modified Rubies suits (Subject to admin discretion)
  • Cardboard costumes (Suits don't need to be "film quality". Creativity is the key!)
  • UNSC Military uniforms (Doesn't have to all be armor)
  • Non-canon, but obviously Halo costumes (e.g. Pink tutu spartan)

Non-Eligible costumes:

• Unmodified Rubies suits

Located in one of our member states or regular attend a convention in them
Areas we cover:

• California, USA
  • Nevada, USA
  • Oregon, USA
  • Arizona, USA
  • Washington, USA
  • British Columbia, Canada

Major convention examples:

• San Diego Comic Con
  • Penny Arcade Expo Prime

Last edited by a moderator:
Some current thoughts:

I am thinking about dropping the "vouched for" requirement. It was mostly a way to work with Facebook's group system and may be outdated now that we have forum access again.

Regarding complete Halo Costume requirement: I am trying to think of a good way to relax this to be more inclusive of members who are in the process of building their costumes or focus exclusively on props. In general we want to err on the side of inclusiveness with membership costume requirements.

And lastly, please let me know what you guys think about the regions the "pacific" regiment includes. Is it too wide a net? Too small? How should we focus on it...I tried to initially look at regions that had people attending the same cons, however the Oregon/Washington/British Columbia folks are often their own unique entity (aka Hood's Hellions). My original goal was to try and encompass people that will eventually meet at events, cons, etc.

Right now it looks like officially we are covering CA, OR, and WA

The 405th is a focused on the creation of Halo costumes. As such, members must own a completed Halo-oriented costume.

I like most of what you said except for one word here CREATION, does not mean created, or completed to me. Creation would mean to me in-process or in the works. Myself, I have yet to make a full set or "completed" a single item yet. I do have a full Pep'ed out helmet but i have not gone further then just the pep phase on that helmet due to the fact it does not fit (to small). If this is a requirement to join a regiment i would be ineligible to join. It would also be leaving out (i would think) a huge group of folks that are still in the process or learning or deciding on how best to make the armor to suit there budget. I joined the 405th myself because i could not afford to "buy" a set of any kind of armor, but i found out that i could learn and make it myself and that there are a whole lot of folks that are doing it, have done it themselves. The shear amount of information covering a suit build from start to finish makes this a creation group of folks, not a completed group of folks. At this time i would love to join a regiment to join and meet folks and have something in common (in this case armor) and a structured organization to promote self-made armor, and group meet-ups for events.

Some current thoughts:

I am thinking about dropping the "vouched for" requirement. It was mostly a way to work with Facebook's group system and may be outdated now that we have forum access again.

Regarding complete Halo Costume requirement: I am trying to think of a good way to relax this to be more inclusive of members who are in the process of building their costumes or focus exclusively on props. In general we want to err on the side of inclusiveness with membership costume requirements.

And lastly, please let me know what you guys think about the regions the "pacific" regiment includes. Is it too wide a net? Too small? How should we focus on it...I tried to initially look at regions that had people attending the same cons, however the Oregon/Washington/British Columbia folks are often their own unique entity (aka Hood's Hellions). My original goal was to try and encompass people that will eventually meet at events, cons, etc.

Right now it looks like officially we are covering CA, OR, and WA

Here is what i was thinking for a region

http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/maps/pdfs/reference/us_regdiv.pdf

it has a map that shows how the census bereau breaks down the USA into "zones" an personally i would love to include the neighbors to the north of us. this guy up there did make an amazing suit of armor.

I like most of what you said except for one word here CREATION, does not mean created, or completed to me. Creation would mean to me in-process or in the works. Myself, I have yet to make a full set or "completed" a single item yet. I do have a full Pep'ed out helmet but i have not gone further then just the pep phase on that helmet due to the fact it does not fit (to small). If this is a requirement to join a regiment i would be ineligible to join. It would also be leaving out (i would think) a huge group of folks that are still in the process or learning or deciding on how best to make the armor to suit there budget. I joined the 405th myself because i could not afford to "buy" a set of any kind of armor, but i found out that i could learn and make it myself and that there are a whole lot of folks that are doing it, have done it themselves. The shear amount of information covering a suit build from start to finish makes this a creation group of folks, not a completed group of folks. At this time i would love to join a regiment to join and meet folks and have something in common (in this case armor) and a structured organization to promote self-made armor, and group meet-ups for events.

Exactly! I want to reword our membership guidelines to include people who are in-progress or continually working on their projects. I know ACDCTrooper didn't have a completed suit for the time, but he's always been one of the most helpful and supportive folks on the boards. The same goes for all the 3d modelers, artists, and prop/cast providers that help make everything else possible. I want all of these folks recognized and appreciated as much as the ones wearing the suits.

We should strive to be as inclusive as possible. Also, we definitely should have recognition for those that contribute but not necessary build or wear the armor. Just a random thought, Handlers probably need some kind of special recognition for putting up with us and trailing us all over cons with repair kits and whatnot.

And as to the question of Hood's Hellions, I think that's their determination if they want to be separate or not. Either way, we're going to have to discuss who's planning the PAX meetup after SDCC, and the discussion should obviously someone from up there.

Using the Western Region as Pacific Regiment would open “Pacific” and “Mountain” to possibly Battalion Status (organizationally speaking).

As for costume completion, I’m one of those who doesn’t have a complete costume. But, I’m working on it as budget allows. Unfortunately, it’s not like buying a $200 kit and trimming some plastic or sewing modifications to a flight suit and buying the “recommended” boots and belt. There is a great deal of trial, error, and realizing that not all scaling methods work for all types of armor.

With that said, below are my suggestions for changes. The italicized text is my explanation of why I included the requirement:

Requirements:
Request Admission into Pacific Regiment

By requesting admission into Pacific Regiment, you agree to follow all rules of the 405th forum use, rules covering appearance in costume as adopted by Pacific Regiment. In addition, you acknowledge that you meet all other requirements as listed below.

This will make sure the person knows what they’re getting into.

Costume and Accessories
You must meet at least one of the following categories to successfully meet this requirement:
  • You own a complete custom or canon Halo costume.
  • You are working to complete a custom or canon Halo costume
  • You are in the process of creating Halo armor parts or accessories to sell.
  • You currently produce Halo armor parts or accessories for sale.
<<Please provide a link to your WIP thread in your request to join.>>

Examples of acceptable costumes include:
  • Kit builds (e.g. Sean Bradley ODSTs)
  • Modified Rubies suits (Subject to admin discretion)
  • Homemade armor (foam, hardened cardstock, or other mediums. Suits don't need to be "film quality" but creativity is the key!)
  • UNSC Military uniforms (Doesn't have to all be armor)
  • A.I. Costume (e.g. Cortana, Serina, Roland, etc.)
<<At this time, unmodified Rubies costumes are not eligible for acceptance>>

This will give costume owners, those working toward completing their costumes, and those who just want to make parts for others, the ability to enter Pacific Regiment. In the case of number 2, a time limit can be set to complete the costume (such as 1 year from acceptance into the Regiment).

I removed the non-canon costume part and included a part for A.I costumes. The A.I. costumes are a part of Halo costuming as much as Grunts, Marines, and Spartans. As for the non-canon costumes, I feel it is best to let the person make a normal suit before trying to spice it up.

Pacific Regiment currently includes the following areas:
  • Arizona, USA
  • California, USA
  • Idaho, USA
  • Nevada, USA
  • Oregon, USA
  • Utah, USA
  • Washington, USA
  • British Columbia, Canada

I included Idaho and Utah on the list to even out the geographical line up from Arizona. Though, I can see B.C. detaching for a Canadian Regiment if/when it ever came about.

----------

I also have question regarding one of the rules listed in the “OFFICIAL: Membership Requirements and Rules of Conduct” thread.

When Appearing in Official 343i Capacity
  • Spartans may NOT remove their helmet. Spartans must exit the official area if they require a break. ODSTs and Marines are allowed to remove helmets.

I am currently in possession of “doll eye” contacts which I am planning to wear with my costume. If you don’t know what “doll eye” contacts are, they are larger than standard contacts without being full sclera (full eye). I got them specifically because of the scene at the end of Forward Unto Dawn when Kelly and Fred remove their helmets. I’m planning on wearing them with scar makeup (to go along with my normal scars) under the helmet so I can actually it off.

Would this be acceptable since it is canon in Forward Unto Dawn and Halo Legends: The Package?

halo_4_forward_unto_dawn_kelly_berman_statut_fb.jpg

Good question on the contacts. I'll ask 343i next opportunity I get, since at the time they informed me of this practice Forward Unto Dawn had not yet been released.

AI's will definitely be included as appropriate costumes. =) Good catch!

Most, if not all, of our costume requirements will be taken straight from the official 405th charter, which is currently being developed. As soon as it's posted, I'll note it here. =)

We will plan for flexibility on the smaller sub-regions, such as BC, Utah, etc. moving around to find new homes as everything gets organized. ^_^ Right now a lot of stuff is crammed under Pacific more out of lack of options, not because it's ideal.

I agree with everything that Jason-078 has posted above. I just have a couple of comments and questions myself.

When it comes to having BC joining up with other Canadian regiments I suspect most in BC will want to stay part of both. I don't know how travel costs work within the USA, but for us here in BC it costs WAY LESS to travel South along the coast than to travel East through Canada. We can get to California or Vegas for $200 a seat with hotel included, but it will cost AT LEAST $600 a seat to get to Montreal with no perks or travel insurance. From my location in the Lower Mainland, Washington and Oregon are easy weekend trips; and Calgary and San Diego are about equivalent to each other when it comes to estimating travel costs and vacation time required.

I also would like clarification regarding the removal of helmets, as I am building a Sarah Palmer suit, and she is definitely shown in game with no helmet. Of course I would be wearing brown contacts to match hers, and either a brown wig or if my hair is its natural brown colour just like that.

But I do understand if 343 wants to keep the helmets on. The HALO series has done a very good job of keeping the mystery of 117's face throughout the series, it really makes you feel like you could be him. Making sure all master chiefs keep their helmets on ensures the mystery keeps going.

Make sure to let us know when things are firming up with the charters and such so if we have some ideas we can give ourselves a deadline to voice them.

Last edited by a moderator:
But I do understand if 343 wants to keep the helmets on. The HALO series has done a very good job of keeping the mystery of 117's face throughout the series, it really makes you feel like you could be him. Making sure all master chiefs keep their helmets on ensures the mystery keeps going.
Oh, yeah. If you're a Master Chief, and you take your helmet off, you must have a second helmet under it to be canon.

On the subject of costume requirements for membership. I feel that this, if the rule were stringent enough, could seriously cut out members that, for whatever reason, currently do not have costumes/not completed costumes. Because I know for me, the military is keeping me really busy for me to make any serious progress, as a matter of fact, I'm posting this in an undisclosed location as I am on deployment at the moment. That doesn't mean I'm not making progress at all though, my research phase is nearing completion, and I already have pep files that I am sizing to be ready to be used for foam. and have supplies waiting at home, ready for use. I know when I get back, I'll be taking time off to work on my suit. Luckily I live and work in California.
For others, the problem might be a budgeting one, which will obviously hamper their ability to make good progeress on builds. Have you guys thought of implementing some sort of dead-line when it comes to completing a costume to gain full membership? Not that we should put pressure on people to complete one, because all things epic take time to complete.

At this point I think for membership in Pacific, we can cast a wide net as we're about coming together to help and learn from each other.

The current vouching system is nice, but as the group grows in size will become way too unmanageable as folks keep adding more and more and grows exponentially.

My suggestion is this:

We admit members based on any of the following criteria:

1) Builder: Probably going to be the most common method of entry, this person has worked on or contributed (i.e., some people build armor in teams) to an armor/cosplay creation. This does not mean completion, as any sort of progress will do as the prospective member is making a good faith effort to build. I also don't think we need deadlines on this as people build at different rates, they might hit a wall and move on, or they'll keep restarting and retrying because they're not happy with their current work, etc.. In the end, I think it would be in the spirit of the 405th if we stood to help and support anyone that asked, so we should be as broad and welcoming as we can.

2) Contributor: For the folks that don't build but contribute assets to the group in some way. This meant to encompasses modelers, graphic designers, etc.

3) Support: These folks might not ever build an armor or make a file, but their contributions to the group are undeniable. Willing to slog through a con trailing a bunch of crazy folks in armor and carrying a repair kit, or bringing someone life-giving water after their helmet fan gives out, or helping to organize and coordinate 405th events, etc.. The few, the giving, the incredibly patient: The Handler Corps

Also, as a sidenote, we need to be able to accommodate those that are NOT signed up with 405th forum accounts. Possibly some kind of master member list somewhere?

3) Support: These folks might not ever build an armor or make a file, but their contributions to the group are undeniable. Willing to slog through a con trailing a bunch of crazy folks in armor and carrying a repair kit, or bringing someone life-giving water after their helmet fan gives out, or helping to organize and coordinate 405th events, etc.. The few, the giving, the incredibly patient: The Handler Corps

You're totally right, we cannot forget the people behind the scenes, and what they so tirelessly do. I like what you did there with the Handlers Corps lol. It makes more sense when you break it down into three catagories of the types of members. Gathering a list of members not signed up on the 405th sounds like a pain in the butt. That list should slowly be filled, as people pop up at different conventions and whatnot.

The Handlers also hold/recover armor parts, help you get in and out of your armor, and understand what you are saying when you wear your helmet in the middle of a crowd

I don't have an armor yet. I would really like to meet local people to help me build one. Right now to start I have a motorcycle helmet I want to incorporate in to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back