What do you want from the 405th Pacific Regiment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagger06

What do you guys hope to get out of this group? What would you like to see us more involved in? What changes would you like, and what do you want to stay the same?

For myself, my biggest goal was to take the sense of community and support I get from the 405th and bring it offline. I loved hanging on the forums chatting with people, learning from them, teaching them, and sharing in the love of Halo. I wanted a way to meet forum members who were nearby and befriend them in person. That's what drove me to create this group, and what I want its ultimate goal to continue to be. With the number of amazing friends I've met through it, I'd say it's been fairly successful. :) My current goals are to try and improve its accessibility for newcomers.

PS I realize a lot of this overlaps old FB convos we have. My apologies.

Honestly, that is what i am looking for Trooper0621. The folks that i have talked to here at the 405th have been wonderful in the terms of knowledge and over all very friendly. I am hoping that i can continue to learn and grow while making my armor and maybe share some of what i have learned to help someone else. I do wish to meet some folks closer to my area (seattle'ish) to maybe meet up at events and share something in common with each other.

I would really enjoy doing some charity work with my fellow Pacific members if anyone is will to set out up or knows of any in socal just let me know and I'm in! Plus its a great way tobecome friends in person! :D

I’m a part of the 501st and Mando Mercs. What I have in those two organizations, I would love to see in this one. In my Mercs clan, we are all a family. Most of us know each other outside of the armor and many of us hang out together. In the 501st, it’s the same way. The group has turned into an extended family. I would love to see this organization become what those are. Not with the politics and bickering, but with the camaraderie and friendship.

I’m still working on finishing the armors for my wife and I, but my experience with Hood’s Hellions has so far been a good one. I’d love to see more armor parties, maybe throw a picnic or potluck in for good measure. I’d love to even see my “three families” get together for a joint armor party, potluck, and photoshoot (Empire vs Mercs vs Halo). It might even be fun teaming up with other groups for a Free Comic Book Day or a Halo vs. Star Trek blood drive promotion with the Red Cross.

I wouldn’t mind seeing 405th incorporate with 343i much in the same way the Star Wars groups have done so with Lucasfilm. Become an actual charity organization and public relations tool for 343i, since the company seems to have some massive momentum building. This wouldn’t make it any less of a prop building group, but would give the builders something to look forward to, whether it is the occasional birthday, parade, convention, or game release. It would even open up a possible large-scale event with Make-A-Wish, if a kid wants it, without any possibility of copyright, trademark, or other legal worries.

Finally, since I am all about giving back to the community, I would love to be able to do charity events in armor. I know I’m not the only vet here; it seems like civilians are the minority from my experience so far in this club. Adopting a charity such as Wounded Warrior Project would seem very appropriate for a group like us. That’s not saying individual units couldn’t have their own “main charity group,” but more of the “official” charity of the 405th.

I think Jason-078 brings up some really good suggestions; get togethers, other than cons, and volunteer events, everyone could use volunteer hours. (they look great on resumes!) I would definitely be down to go to events put on by community, the only problem is, I'm kind of restricted to weekends. The Navy keeps this Spartan extremely busy! And thats the only problem I really see; gettting a large group together at the same time, everyone has different work and/or school schedules. Except duirng the holiday seasons like summer (or what I like to call "convention season" lol) and the winter for Christmas and New Years. If we could participate in 343i events, I think that would be awesome, like events for the launch of Halo 5 in the near future (if thats the case I have to get my suit built!). As for the specific suggestion of the Wounded Warrior Project, I am all aboard for that. Being a military guy myself, I think its a great way to give back to my brothers and sisters in arms and express my love for the awesomeness that is the Halo universe.

Jason-078 Does have a valid plan. I too am with the Mandalorian Mercs and we have so called Armor parties where we get together and work on armor parts and props that would also help out tremendously to helping people finish before cons and other events.

…and the winter for Christmas and New Years.
Here’s an idea to throw out. It’s something my local Garrison/Base/Clan (501st, Rebel Legion, Mando Mercs) does every year…

Salvation Army Bell Ringing while in costume. First, it helps raise money for a good cause. Second, it gives people the opportunity for some great pictures. Third, it is really great positive publicity for the 405th, 343i, and Halo.

Here’s an idea to throw out. It’s something my local Garrison/Base/Clan (501st, Rebel Legion, Mando Mercs) does every year…

Salvation Army Bell Ringing while in costume. First, it helps raise money for a good cause. Second, it gives people the opportunity for some great pictures. Third, it is really great positive publicity for the 405th, 343i, and Halo.

Oh man, when we get our builds done I will be so down with that. I also have considered volunteering at a couple of local youth groups, doing some workshops and helping them get their own suits built.

I think these types of casual events will really make people feel like this is building into a real community. Maybe once we get some formalization on the regions of the Pacific we can have a couple of region heads with roll call lists of others in their local areas. That way small events can be organized and the information can be sent to those who are close enough to participate.

I, for one, would be willing to hold some pepakura and foam cutting parties in the Lower Mainland, BC. I can rig up the projector and we can watch Forward unto dawn while working on the cutting and glueing. Those who have already finished that stage of their work can still come out and watch the movie, and help out with the work that's going on.

Also, I would really like to see a giant Pacific Regiment capture the flag game. Where the various regions of the Pacific Regiment (whatever those end up being) can have a few members travel into neighbouring regions and take the flag back to their region. This would be a lot of fun and will make sure that regiment members from different regions get out there and show there stuff and speak with the other regiment members.

Charity work guidelines are something that are being worked out. Anything involving the handling of money, such as actually running a donation station, has several complications that would need to be figured out first.

However, participating at events where another organization accepts the money is more feasible. (basically, we're not there to take donations, just to help garner attention and entertain)

I like the idea of educational workshops. I feel it fits very nicely with the goals of the 405th, and I know we often try to hold panels at cons we're involved in.

A more specific recall roster is also in the works! =)

Charity work guidelines are something that are being worked out. Anything involving the handling of money, such as actually running a donation station, has several complications that would need to be figured out first.

However, participating at events where another organization accepts the money is more feasible. (basically, we're not there to take donations, just to help garner attention and entertain)

I like the idea of educational workshops. I feel it fits very nicely with the goals of the 405th, and I know we often try to hold panels at cons we're involved in.

A more specific recall roster is also in the works! =)

You guys are so on-the-ball with all of this stuff. I can't wait to read the specifics.

My main concern with Alaska or Hawaii being included is we don't share events or conventions, and it would defeat the purpose if regiments existing to create local connections.

Anyone else want to share their thoughts on this?

Shoot, unless Alaska and Hawaii residents have money to attend conventions and/or gatherings every year in the continental US, then they are unfortunately SOL. I guess we could toss around the idea of making smaller batallions for those specific states, but anyone else living in the continential US should be limited to pushing that option on the basis of they live in the continental US.

Yeah. If they feel they can make it out to events, they can list themselves as Pacific members, but in practice it's just too expensive. I strongly recommend they try and coordinate amongst themselves to create their own unique regiments/battalions

Are there any events like comic conventions in Alaska? Well since they can't be apart of the Pacific maybe they can be the Harvest Regiment lol ( I mean the human colony) let's just hope Russia doesn't call dibs lol

So I have been brainstorming about this topic in the back of my mind over the last few days and have come up with a few additional ideas that I would like to share. Along with community events and volunteering (already discussed above) I would like to see:

• Mentorship programs to help new recruits plan and follow-through with their projects. Maybe not in person, but a Skype style connection to discuss progress and hurdles might be really valuable.
  • Having pacific regiment/405th tables at conventions and events to connect people with the group (I think this is already happening).
  • Holding pacific regiment/405th panels at conventions and events showing how to get started with the group and create your own armor.
  • Holding our own special events (there have been meet-ups in conjunction with conventions before). Things like bowling or laser-tag meet-ups, those with costumes should wear them. I would really like to get a group together and head over to a theme park (Play Land in Vancouver, too many to list in California) in costume and just have fun. Play Land has Fright Nights at Halloween, and I think there would be some amazing photo ops if a bunch of us Pacificers came in costume to get freaked out by the spooks.
    Fright_night_460x276.jpg
  • Organize a recognition system to allow members to show their involvement. Like scouts badges, one for completed armor, one for hosting an event, one for 5 hours of volunteer/community outreach on behalf of the 405th/pacific regiment, etc. I'm not talking about ranks, just recognition. For example, look at the skill badges the diy.org has. The badges can be added to your community profile here (have to coordinate this with forum mods and entire 405th) or just can use the badges for personal use, or on ONI cards.
  • Establish a network of members, coordinators, and volunteers. This way when an event comes up, members can be contacted; when we want to hold our own event, coordinators can be asked to organize the event; when we are asked to participate in a volunteer program (or just want to get out and do something), volunteers can be made aware of the opportunity to serve.

What are your thoughts/ideas/criticisms?

Okay, GeekGuardianDee, get out of my head!!!

Just kidding, you have amazing ideas.

Mentorship programs…
This idea goes in with recruiting. I think it should be implemented on a larger scale than just regimental level. In the area of operations, this should definitely be a thing. Not just through skype, but maybe during Armor Parties and such. I know in another couple of groups I am part of, we invite Newbies to our armor parties to show then what they’re getting into.

Having … tables at conventions…
You would be surprised what someone can do with a camo net, a tool board, a table, and a mannequin. This was discussed with the Hellions not too long ago. I’m not sure what happened with it, but the ideas were cost-effective (read: cheap as heck) and a cool military-themed booth.

Holding … panels at conventions…
Another great idea. Unfortunately, most panels are clogged with 501st and Mercs. I know that compared to their armors, ours are first place material. Cosplay panels are the best place to do this. Most of it can be organized through RPF.

Holding our own special events…
I love the idea about Lasertagging in armor… except for the visibility. However, I know that the local Spartans and Mando Mercs had an in-armor bowling party. It’s not hard to guess who won. I’ll give you a hint: it wasn’t the group that looked at the world through a small slit t-visor.

Organize a recognition system to allow members to show their involvement.
What about custom ribbons that a member could add to their signature bar or under their avatar. The avatar part would take some coding, but the quasi-military nature of Halo just screams for a ribbon rack to show your achievements. Definitely need to go with custom designs so we don’t step on the toes of actual military (Star Trek costumers had that problem not too long ago).

Establish a network of members, coordinators, and volunteers.
This would be more along the lines of an event section in the Regiment and/or sub-forums within the regiment (such as the Hellions). Include a date/time/location section and a sign-up that is updated.

Just a general FYI, most of my ideas are coming from my experience with the 501st, Rebel Legion, and Mando Mercs. I know the 405th is still a ways from those groups, so I am trying to keep my ideas to their basics.

the Medals could have Halo theme motifs but the ribbons would be another problem like Jason-078 said, There are at least 90 Ribbons for the United States Marine Corps alone! So we would have to do our homework to make sure we don't step on the toes of the military (being the son of a USMC Vietnam Vet I have a catalog showing an up to date list of ribbons one can earn in the USMC thus the 90 number). All of the ideas are good ones though and I especially like the Panel Idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back