405th Logo Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
As with so many other things within this community, we are bringing a fresh approach to the look of the core logo.

Logo History

Now... I won't claim to know the entire history of the community's identity, but this is one of the earliest versions of the logo I could find from around August of 2007.

405th-Logo-2007-08.jpg

Which eventually appeared on the website around Oct of 2007.

405th-Logo-2007-10.gif

I am not sure exactly when the current logo was first created (roughly ~2008) but Adam shared some of the very earliest versions of it with me:

405th-Logo-Trinity-1.jpg

405th-Logo-Trinity-2.jpg

This triskelion-styled design with three hexagons and the (Halo) ring eventually gave way to our current logo:

405th-Logo-Trinity-Final.jpg

Updated Logo

In approaching the new logo, we hired Ever and Oak to help us. Douglas is a friend (and long time RPFer) and understands these type of communities, where a typical design company probably wouldn't truly get the nature of what we do. In talking with him I told him that I did not want a NEW logo as much as I wanted a new take on the existing logo as so many within the community identify with it. I asked him to keep the core elements of the logo:

• The ring - representing Earth.
  • The three stars - representing the core values of our community: honor, armor and unity
  • The three hexagons - represent you, the building blocks of our community, who hold our values at your core
  • The eagle - which has long represented a fighting force, most notably in history, the Roman Legion, but more currently, the US Marine Corps
  • The wreath - from the UN and UEG insignia, a symbol of the peace the UNSC are striving toward

I also asked that Douglas give us a design that didn't exactly mimic any specific Halo design, but had a feel that would fit into the Halo universe. I also asked him to limit the color palette to two, subdued colors (in addition to black and white) and make the logo something that we could easily break down into more simple forms for various uses. For anyone who knows anything about design, it is much harder to recreate something than to create something from scratch and my list of needs was no small task.

With that being said, Douglas brought back to me a stunning update to our logo that addressed EVERY concern I had and did so in a fantastic way!

I hate to start on a bad note, but before you scroll further (stop scrolling... stop!), PLEASE DO NOT USE THE NEW LOGO FOR ANY IMAGERY AT THIS TIME! Over the next few days, we will be setting up new logo usage guidelines and providing high-resolution artwork for approved usage. Again, please do not use this logo in part or whole at this point!

Here is our new full logo for the 405th Division:

405th-offical-full-logo-vertical.png

Here is a horizontal variation:

405th-offical-logo-horizontal.png

And very importantly, the logo can be broken down into smaller components... such as ranks:

405th-offical-logo-breakdown1.png

... or it could also be used to represent the progression that so many of us make from small and simply things to complex and difficult things:

405th-offical-logo-breakdown2.png

And here is just an example of me playing around in Photoshop...
405th-logo-3D.jpg

No matter how you look at it, this is a strong update to the community's identity, paying homage to what has come before, while giving us something more versatile and usable for what is ahead!

Here is a chance to see the evolution of the community identity, side by side:

405th-logo-history.jpg

I know I said it before, but I want to remind you again - DON'T SKIP THIS!
While I am confident you are excited about the new logo, PLEASE DO NOT USE IT FOR ANY IMAGERY AT THIS TIME! Over the next few days, we will be setting up new logo usage guidelines and providing high-resolution artwork for approved usage. Again, please do not use this logo in part or whole at this point!

So, where do we go from here? As we continue to update the site and social media venues, we will be adding in the new logo (as well as offering swag with the new logo). We will also be setting new guidelines so you too can use the logo in support of your community!

Attachments

• 405th-offical-full-logo-vertical.png
    405th-offical-full-logo-vertical.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 858
what if when a member makes a post in a thread other members have the option to like that post and when a member obtains a certain number of likes on their collective posts(say like 100,500,1000 etc.)they obtain a rank/rank up. that way the only way a person can rank up is making helpful post, interesting WIP's,and informative tutorials that other members feel deserve recognition.this also allow the ranking system to be automated and eliminates complaints like not being able to rank up because a person cant afford to go to con's and thing like that.

Upvote 0
Well, to be honest, I wanted to give options, especially for the top tiers. I have never attended a convention myself, but I thought it could be an option.
I didn't just simply select all options that would automatically make me into a "Veteran".

I actually didn't make it really hard to be an Officer, especially if you only need to do 3 of the items, and I think both you and I qualify under it in terms of # of years, posts, and being helpful as well as contributing.

What I was trying to promote the most with the list and I hope that it is obvious, is simply that we should make an effort to be part of a community and being helpful.
Is it obvious that our goal should be to be nice and helpful? Well, not if you're someone from facepunch, where everyone seems to have their panties in a bunch. If you try to ask for information over there, you are flamed and trolled until you are left in the corner trying to cry yourself to sleep.

And I never listed how much weight of "value" that you need to contribute. Sure, providing personally made 3D HD models would probably weigh the most, but providing someone who needs an unfold of a file helps someone with their build as well.
I've made lots of reference pics, it's free to do (minus your electricity and internet bill) but it does take time and I've seen a few threads where someone directly showed one of my images they used for reference, and knowing that I helped their build just really feels good. No matter what you do here on the 405th, I would just hope that anyone that comes here, and essentially leeches information and files we give them will one day return the favor to some degree.

Excuse my language, but I just don't want to see the "Me me me **** you me me me" attitude. A community can't live if we are all like that.

Now, obviously my list isn't perfect and it could be tweaked or added to.

Thanks for critiquing it btw. Only through doing so can it be improved upon.

Upvote 0
A little late to the party but...
Man is it good to see someone taking an interest in the site again! I love the new logo and I'm getting inspired just looking at this beautiful new site! Thanks a ton Art. You are just what the doc ordered for this place.

Upvote 0
OH MAI HEEBEE JEEBEES!!! The new 405th logo is very professsional-looking, has some sci-fi touch and most of all it's simple! You know what they say, simplicity is the new complex. Anyway, as I've read the first few 'crucial' posts done by Mr Andrew regarding the rules and regulations of the logo usage, i'd like to make things clear for myself. is it trying to mean that as long as we use the logo properly like being used as a stencil on armour pieces and for personal and not for promotional use then it's fine? Also, as for the logo itself, how do you plan to incorporate the different 'stages' of the 405th logo as ranks? All in all, the new logo is like a new addition, or an incarnation to revive this wonderful forum. Can't wait to see more!

One last thing, like someone suggested before me and i thought it was a really cool idea to share, is it possible to like have a QR code link to this 405th forum and possibly our respective build thread? Just wondering.. ;)

Upvote 0
One last thing, like someone suggested before me and i thought it was a really cool idea to share, is it possible to like have a QR code link to this 405th forum and possibly our respective build thread? Just wondering.. ;)

If you want a QR Code that takes people to the community, here you go! You could always print it s a sticker or place it on the back of a business card. :)

405th-qr-code.png

Upvote 0
The redesign is very HALO-ish without infringing on oan IP rights! Kudos! We are now ready for all the new Halo 5 NOOBS!

Upvote 0
If you want a QR Code that takes people to the community, here you go! You could always print it s a sticker or place it on the back of a business card. :)

I think that having a panel on your armor that opens up and reveals the code would be a nice touch.

Sigh....and add one more complication to my build. Lol.

Upvote 0
When is the logo going to be available for use? I want to put 2 big ones on either side of my gas tank on my motorcycle.

Upvote 0
Just out of curiosity, what is the font being used for the logotype?

Also, when the time comes to release the artwork and we are allowed to use the logo, will you release a Vector format as well (Adobe Illustrator file, EPS file, etc)?

Lastly, will the color scheme of the site, the blue for the headers and such, be changed to the new teal color to wrap up the re-branding of the 405th?

I also would like to know the font name, so supplementary text beside/beneath the logo (such as regiment name) can be in the same style and keep with a unified theme.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

I think Art will be providing a brand document for anyone who would like to use the logo, the icons, or any of the individual elements for their customizations. It includes vector shapes for all of the above as well as color values (RGB/CMYK/binhex/Pantone) and the fonts used (Bebas and Baksheesh). Again, best not to pick any raster art up from this thread as there are subtle differences in the final artwork and as I understand it you'll all have it soon!

In the meantime, I thought I'd put an offer out there for those of you who are not up to the task of creating your own variations (like adding a regiment or battalion name). If you'd like to tack something simple on or create a slight variation on the existing artwork, post here and let me know what you're looking for. Once in a while I'll sweep through and try to knock a few of them out for you! If you're good with Illustrator/Photoshop and can make what you need yourself, go for it. For the rest of you, I'll help out as many as I can.

Thanks for all the positive feedback on the new logo/icons!

Douglas

Upvote 0
Hard to beat an offer from the guy who created our logo!

Hi everyone,

I think Art will be providing a brand document for anyone who would like to use the logo, the icons, or any of the individual elements for their customizations. It includes vector shapes for all of the above as well as color values (RGB/CMYK/binhex/Pantone) and the fonts used (Bebas and Baksheesh). Again, best not to pick any raster art up from this thread as there are subtle differences in the final artwork and as I understand it you'll all have it soon!

In the meantime, I thought I'd put an offer out there for those of you who are not up to the task of creating your own variations (like adding a regiment or battalion name). If you'd like to tack something simple on or create a slight variation on the existing artwork, post here and let me know what you're looking for. Once in a while I'll sweep through and try to knock a few of them out for you! If you're good with Illustrator/Photoshop and can make what you need yourself, go for it. For the rest of you, I'll help out as many as I can.

Douglas

Upvote 0
Well, having some sort of template for something like an ID badge or something might be good. Perhaps a slot to go with Wanderer's spartan ID format would be cool. Something neat to print out onto a flat space on armor to make it look all official like.

Upvote 0
Hey there art I wanted to run a couple things by you for emblem use.

first is the use of area divisions (Pacific, Midwest, European) as part of the design?

405th-unoffical-midwest-logo-vertical_zpsce73a5dd.jpg

second is its use in an ID card like this.

405thcard_zps1eae5eee.jpg

these are a couple rough concepts that I have thrown together (the division for my armor, and the ID card for my wallet)

I was wondering what you thought about them.

Attachments

• 405th-unoffical-midwest-logo-vertical_zpsce73a5dd.jpg
    405th-unoffical-midwest-logo-vertical_zpsce73a5dd.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 405thcard_zps1eae5eee.jpg
    405thcard_zps1eae5eee.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 186
Upvote 0
In concept, I like it, but we would want to approve anything that included the logo for official use. I can tell you for sure that one thing we will want is the "405th" name ONLY used in the font we have on the official logo. Some of this will also come down to how we end up designating official Regiments and the imagery they use.

Upvote 0
Also keep in mind that a lot of qr code readers also read barcodes, so I wouldn't design something with the two so close to one another just to avoid confusion.

Upvote 0
When I first saw the logo, I envisioned this as a possible badge to be worn with convention type badge holders. Just a simply addition of the name, or nickname. I'm not sure I like the bar code thing, but I put it in as well just the same.

badge.png

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

Douglas

Should we contact you via PM?

Upvote 0
rickrtickr said:
Hey there art I wanted to run a couple things by you for emblem use.

first is the use of area divisions (Pacific, Midwest, European) as part of the design?

One thing I would have to say, only because the topic of terminology has come up before, is that using the word "Division" would not be advised, as the 405th is, itself, a Division, and thus any other "Division" would be classified as an entity separate from, and in some minds in competition with, the 405th, which kinda puts a bullet in the foot of the whole "unity" thing.

rickrtickr said:
second is its use in an ID card like this.

Just a personal thought here in conjunction with Art's stance on not having "embellished" text in the same font as the 405th text: perhaps the embellishment should have it's own separate "box," by which I mean where you have "Midwest Infantry," basically clip that piece off and drop it down like 10-20 pixels so that your regiment/squad/whatever we end up calling the smaller groups within the 405th essentially has it's own "stamp" on the ID card.

23Magnum said:
When I first saw the logo, I envisioned this as a possible badge to be worn with convention type badge holders. Just a simple addition of the name, or nickname. I'm not sure I like the bar code thing, but I put it in as well just the same.

Same as above, I like the idea of having nickname, forum screenname, or character Spartan ID/UNSC Serial number incorporated in conjunction with while still somewhat separate from the logo.

Upvote 0
Are any of the rest of you becoming as annoyed as me that someone (not naming names) hasn't gotten a likes system implemented so we can like posts like this?

When I first saw the logo, I envisioned this as a possible badge to be worn with convention type badge holders. Just a simply addition of the name, or nickname. I'm not sure I like the bar code thing, but I put it in as well just the same.

View attachment 885

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back