Hex pattern proving grounds :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to stop being awesome, for I can't handle all of this awesome work you do. Thanks... :p

Keep up the awesome work Evakura.

Thanks again y'all!

I had to do a test fitting, and considering that Westwood's dimensions are identical to mine (minus height of course!), I am really happy with the way this is coming along. I need him to bulk up a ton on the chest area, and this material is way cheaper than paying for a gym membership and a lot of supplements! In the end, I managed to add 5" to his upper torso. The open area will be subsidized with some foam inserts, and will also allow air flow for the ducted fans I will be installing, as I am sure that this suit will have the tendency to get rather hot.

SAM_1658c_zpsf78c1c70.jpg

SAM_1658b_zpscaf7770e.jpg

Attachments

• SAM_1658c_zpsf78c1c70.jpg
    SAM_1658c_zpsf78c1c70.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 164
  • SAM_1658b_zpscaf7770e.jpg
    SAM_1658b_zpscaf7770e.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 158
Words can't describe how AWESOME this looks!

Great work as always :)

Quick question: How much movement do you have with it on?

On the back it's definitely easier to see the rectangular "panel" borders from where the molds meet and recognize them as what they are, which does, in a way, slightly detract from the overall aesthetics. On the front, however, the only really noticeable border is on the left, and has more of a "battle damaged" look to it, like this guy took a knife in the side during combat. All in all, though, stunning results.

Words can't describe how AWESOME this looks!

Great work as always :)

Quick question: How much movement do you have with it on?

Thanks bud! As far as movement, it is really hard to tell since there is no "anchor" to my body, but it is designed for full range of movement (even better than my previous one). When I assemble each "panel", I connect them with woven elastic, which gives up to 1/2" of movement (or stretch) in all directions. That does not sound like much, but when you start adding up how many panels there are, the overall distance of allowable movement becomes quite a bit. As far as the spine, that was designed to be able to be bent in both directions (arching the back, and bending to touch your toes), as well as twisting of the torso, and bending side to side. They are not perfect, but do allow for all of that movement with ease.

On the back it's definitely easier to see the rectangular "panel" borders from where the molds meet and recognize them as what they are, which does, in a way, slightly detract from the overall aesthetics. On the front, however, the only really noticeable border is on the left, and has more of a "battle damaged" look to it, like this guy took a knife in the side during combat. All in all, though, stunning results.

Thanks for that observation Zaff. Yes, the sculpting putty residue sure does detract from the look (my camera goes a bit hell-bent on capturing all detail, even the stuff you don't want!), but, with a bit of effort, it cleans off. I am hoping to do that, and add the gray paint (VERY lightly) to the top surface of the hexes to give it that "OMG" look.... but I am holding off until I finish the while upper torso for that :D

Wow. I literally just was googling to find help for the h4 undersuit with the hex pattern, and voila. Should have checked here first. This is looking amazing so far. Really opening my eyes up to many different options and mediums!

Woohoo! I think y'all a liking this :)

I guess an update is in order then!

Breastplate (ver. 3) is completed

SAM_1670_zps5b88e6a1.jpg

Sometimes, it is all about the details!

SAM_1667_zpse2ce26c4.jpg

Shoulder harness installed. I did this because the upper torso is much larger than my client, and I needed to keep the shape of the Exo-suit correct, while allowing airspace for ducted cooling fans.

SAM_1675_zpsf9335371.jpg

and... a new texture I am working on for the joint areas (elbow, crotch, backs of the knees, etc)

SAM_1677_zps2572cc32.jpg

Next update will be when the shoulders are completed :D

Attachments

• SAM_1670_zps5b88e6a1.jpg
    SAM_1670_zps5b88e6a1.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 166
  • SAM_1677_zps2572cc32.jpg
    SAM_1677_zps2572cc32.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 170
  • SAM_1675_zpsf9335371.jpg
    SAM_1675_zpsf9335371.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 158
  • SAM_1667_zpse2ce26c4.jpg
    SAM_1667_zpse2ce26c4.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 151
Thanks General Eggs!

Quick update for y'all.

Upper Codpiece skinned with the new textured material.

SAM_1678_zps5386750c.jpg

Shoulder assembly with the new backplate and breastplate. These will all be put together and worn in a very similar fashion to football pads.

SAM_1680_zpse316b679.jpg

And here are the completed shoulders. Also, this is the new watermark that Westwood made for me. This is the final version :)

SAM_1682_zpse59574ed.jpg

Attachments

• SAM_1680_zpse316b679.jpg
    SAM_1680_zpse316b679.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 164
  • SAM_1678_zps5386750c.jpg
    SAM_1678_zps5386750c.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 160
  • SAM_1682_zpse59574ed.jpg
    SAM_1682_zpse59574ed.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 193
Last edited by a moderator:
The detail continues to be absolutely mind-blowing Phil! I know you're working on a commission project, so trade secrets apply :) , what texturing method did you use for the non-hex pieces? Seems like a very accurate method.

-Matt

The detail continues to be absolutely mind-blowing Phil! I know you're working on a commission project, so trade secrets apply :) , what texturing method did you use for the non-hex pieces? Seems like a very accurate method.

-Matt

I laid down a layer of mask latex on a piece of glass and let it cure. Then I took a very light coat of the same latex, and simply used a foam roller to make the texture. It has to be as light as you can make it, otherwise the texture comes out a bit "off". On the foam pieces, I just used that same roller, but did it in three coats, and completely around the exposed surface to make sure that it won't peel away.

Another quick update. Since I was not certain this experiment was going to work, I decided to start on it before starting the arm section of the Exo-suit. Since it did work, now I can tailor the arms to this joint mechanism, which will be much easier than working the other way around :)

Here are the pieces that cut out by using my scroll saw. The material is a fairly dense plastic that was one of the few remaining parts of a bag that I scavenged for many parts (Velcro, quick connects, nylon straps, shoulder straps and pads, hex webbing, and zippers!).

SAM_1690_zps4b8c6f50.jpg

And one of the assembled pieces. The overall surface length is 3" extended, and 1 3/4" collapsed. The one nylon strap on the end acts as the stationary anchor, and the two straps on the far end are woven elastic that is attached to each piece, and will retract the pieces to this position when the arm is extended.

SAM_1691_zps9e529e78.jpg

Attachments

• SAM_1691_zps9e529e78.jpg
    SAM_1691_zps9e529e78.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 167
  • SAM_1690_zps4b8c6f50.jpg
    SAM_1690_zps4b8c6f50.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 166
Just because it has been so long, I thought I would shoot out an update.

The suit is still in full swing, and parts are finally starting to come together. The shoes are at 50%, and I have just started on the forearm and shin sections of the Exo-suit. But... this post is primarily about the gloves :)

All that is left to do now is to add the fingertip armor. All pieces, to include the hex pattern, are adhered with Shoe Goo Black. The articulation is excellent, and the armor pieces have zero interference. It would take quite a bit to ruin these puppies :)

SAM_1706_zpsa2128d3e.jpg

SAM_1707_zps463e2e94.jpg

Attachments

• SAM_1706_zpsa2128d3e.jpg
    SAM_1706_zpsa2128d3e.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 153
  • SAM_1707_zps463e2e94.jpg
    SAM_1707_zps463e2e94.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 156
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back