KevZone's Forward Unto Dawn (FUD) pepakura build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking awesome Kev! What kind of foam did you use to carve out that pistol? I haven't seen any thing like that before. Also is there a prop party this sunday?

absolutely great works so far!! keep posting more so we all can see how its going!! :)

Thanks...I'm working toward a Halloween deadline so you should see a lot of progress over the coming weeks!

Looking awesome Kev! What kind of foam did you use to carve out that pistol? I haven't seen any thing like that before. Also is there a prop party this sunday?

It is 1" thick insulation board. They use it as insulation in buildings and homes. It is easy to carve and sands out really smooth but it is very "delicate". I would only use it for something that is going in a display case or that you plan to make molds of. It is too flimsy to use as a trooping weapon (in my opinion). I'm working on a wood version that will be super tough and will withstand trooping action. I'll post a photo of it later.

There is no prop party this weekend, the next one is Sunday September 7th.

Thanks...I'm working toward a Halloween deadline so you should see a lot of progress over the coming weeks!

It is 1" thick insulation board. They use it as insulation in buildings and homes. It is easy to carve and sands out really smooth but it is very "delicate". I would only use it for something that is going in a display case or that you plan to make molds of. It is too flimsy to use as a trooping weapon (in my opinion). I'm working on a wood version that will be super tough and will withstand trooping action. I'll post a photo of it later.

There is no prop party this weekend, the next one is Sunday September 7th.
That's awesome, I need to make a new battle rifle and preferably redo my smg out out wood. So I have sturdier props. What kind of wood do you plan on using for the pistol?

That's awesome, I need to make a new battle rifle and preferably redo my smg out out wood. So I have sturdier props. What kind of wood do you plan on using for the pistol?
I'm using 5/8ths inch MDF. Two of those sandwiched together net you a 1.5" blank to work with, looks like the perfect width to me. I've got the two halves joined together right now with 2 screws and once I get the basic outline to match up perfectly, I plan to take them apart and do the detail work on them individually. Once the detail is done, I'll join them back together with glue and then my plan is to make a silicone mold and cast resin copies of it.

Here is a photo of the MDF blank...
wooden_gun.jpg

Attachments

• wooden_gun.jpg
    wooden_gun.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 332
The helmet is looking amazing kev. I really need to step up the production on my helmet but it's been raining or under 70 when I've been at home. Can't wait to see it at con or one of the prop parties!

Just a quick post-Halloween update...I got derailed by so many 501st Legion events over the last two months and haven't had time to complete much of my FUD armor so I missed my Halloween deadline. I'm setting a new target for Mid South Con in March of 2015 to have my FUD armor done and ready to wear! I ended up wearing my Darth Vader to work for Halloween and several guys were disappointed that I didn't show up as Master Chief...they were really looking forward to seeing the Chief in the office!

Just a quick post-Halloween update...I got derailed by so many 501st Legion events over the last two months and haven't had time to complete much of my FUD armor so I missed my Halloween deadline. I'm setting a new target for Mid South Con in March of 2015 to have my FUD armor done and ready to wear! I ended up wearing my Darth Vader to work for Halloween and several guys were disappointed that I didn't show up as Master Chief...they were really looking forward to seeing the Chief in the office!

Just a question KevZone, are you building the spine according to FUD? And if so, do you have any pics to show?

Just a question KevZone, are you building the spine according to FUD? And if so, do you have any pics to show?
Well, I'm not Kev, but having just finished mine, here's a few shots of it and one of the figure I had.

uploadfromtaptalk1428047263709.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428047320674.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428047378642.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428047516413.jpg

How did you keep the spine attached to your back? I was thinking of keeping the spine loose off my back. Only attached the top to the back armor and the bottom being attached to the back of the cod with elastic to allow me to bend and move.
Exactly what I did. Here are more pics...

uploadfromtaptalk1428063050595.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1428063082880.jpg

I used a light piece of foam to keep the prices together and then elastic to run down the spine and it clicks into the back of the cod piece. Allows me to move and twist and bend.

I do plan to build the spine on the back but haven't started that part yet so unfortunately I don't have any pictures.

How did you keep the spine attached to your back?

My thoughts are to use elastic straps to connect each individual part of the spine to the next in a "chain" sort of fashion. Similar to how FirstPick has done but without the single strap running the length of the spine. I plan to attach it at the top and bottom and the parts in between will "float" and move so that I can bend and flex and they will move with me. Again, I haven't gotten that far in the build so I'll tackle that problem when I get there :)

Well, I'm not Kev, but having just finished mine, here's a few shots of it and one of the figure I had.
Thanks for posting FirstPick.

Do you have the pdo, files, I'd like to make this.

I recently downloaded some files, started to cut to make a helmit, but I'm having trouble, are the small numbers on the pieces of card stock, suppose to match ? Ive just started cutting out 1st page and I'm like, what does what fit where to glue

Hi Sporty982001 , please note that this thread is almost three years old. These members will probably not reply and posting in old threads pushes down current builds.

Please check out the new recruit sticky thread as well as this tutorial list. Most of the questions you have have been asked and answered many times over. Try to research the answer as best as you can.

To answer your question, the numbers on tabs are supposed to correspond to numbers without tabs. But that does not mean the numbers line up exactly to each other. Check out the pep assembly tutorial for more information.

Good luck and happy building!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back