Noob foam build complete with all the failures and restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cskippro

So I figured I would start this thread and post some of "experiments," as I like to call them.

First thing I did was read tons of forum posts.
Then I tried to find the type of build I wanted to do by looking at tons of pictures. Honestly, this is pretty difficult. There are certain types of shins I like and certain types of other parts and then none of them go together in one type of build. Basically I think I'm just going to mix and match and build it the way I want.

Then I went and bought a bunch of supplies. All together I think I have spent about $150. That's starting from scratch.

Then I just tried different tools and techniques. I don't have a whole lot done. Three kids and a wife tend to keep me very busy.

The intent of this post is try stuff and post what works AND what didn't. There is no shame here. I screw up. So I'll post stuff that doesn't look good and try to explain.

Feel free to post your frustrations as well.

Post picture with your stuff it does help everyone out also, that would be the only thing that i have to say. Otherwise this sounds like a fun idea.

So here are some examples of what I am talking about. I attached my model photo. I like the smoothness of everything.

These photos were my first attempts. I used one piece for the calf area and cut three lines around the calf to try and produce a curved look. It then made the shape very awkward (second photo). So I ditched this effort and did some more planning and tried making my own templates out of paper.

On the last photo I thought I had held the glue there long enough....I was wrong. image.jpg

FYI.... I started out thinking I would do this whole thing free hand, but now I'm looking heavily in to modified pep files lol. Mores on that later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 245
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    969.7 KB · Views: 232
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 229
Here is an attempt to make some custom templates for the shins. I was basically going to use the EVA as the base and then use craft foam for the outside and details.

Previously I tried making some paper templates foe the ankle plates and when I converted to foam it was drastically too small. So this time I made them oversized. Ultimately I didn't like the proportions of things so I'm going to start over. I feel like the knees need to be even bigger and possibly not attached to the shin pieces. I did like the quality better than before.

Another problem I ran into was movement. I couldn't bend my legs very well.

I used a metal ruler to make all the straight cuts. I used a #11 exacto blade. So far just frequently changing blades has given me the best results. I plan on buying a sharpener and trying that so I don't have to go through so many blades.

After watching EVAkura's tutorials I would have done this different and tried molding instead of cutting so many pieces.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    990.5 KB · Views: 212
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    921.2 KB · Views: 215
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 228
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 221
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 217
your cuts are alot cleaner and your foam skills are definitely improving!

I find that if something is to tight, but is at the right scale I add either more foam to make the area a bit looser, or cut a seam and glue some elastic fabric in its place (EVAkura advice).

I haven't used a sharpening stone in my build purely because a pack of 100 blades is quite cheap and I've not even used them all yet! :p

That MC looks kinda funky, a mash of up of mk V and mk VI armour?

So today I tried using the halo four foam templates off of the shared drive. So far they are okay. Below you will see where some of the foam didn't match up correctly so I dad to replace pieces.

Also I am putting some pics of how I do my straight cuts. Always a new blade for a new piece, and a steel ruler to keep it straight.

I redid the side that didn't match up. I was really happy with the result. I spent some extra time on it.
So I decided I would redo the other side. BIG MISTAKE! I ripped the middle piece.....very frustrated....

I decided to redo the whole piece lol

Questions and comments welcome!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 226
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 224
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 228
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 220
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 218
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 229
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 231
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 219
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 227
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    702.2 KB · Views: 232
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 223
So here is an update.

I started with the pep files for foam on the halo 4 master chief. I pretty much had to make every piece twice. Once the way the file had it and then the second time with the way I wanted it to look. Mostly I had to make pieces bigger. I also learned I need to work on my molding skills and the heat gun will make pieces shrink if your not careful. All and all I'm pretty happy with the look so far. There are some gaps I filled with glue and some proportin issues but it's not too bad.

Comments and questions always welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 203
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 215
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    765.6 KB · Views: 212
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    616.3 KB · Views: 214
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    697.1 KB · Views: 226
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    703.5 KB · Views: 212
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    681.1 KB · Views: 212
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 228
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 212
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 212
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    995.4 KB · Views: 228
So here is my left shin... I'm pretty excited about it! I did not glue the back together because my foot was to big to get through. I'm going to use some clips.

After experimenting with all kinds of techniques I think I have found my style and the way I like to do things. Now it's going a lot quicker.

Now I just need to make the right exactly the same way......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    654 KB · Views: 238
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    671.7 KB · Views: 219
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    626.6 KB · Views: 216
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg