Undersuit/Cooling idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolcam3

I recently had this crazy idea while i was at the Coachella music festival where it's hot hot hot! I bought a cooling towel for the festival to help keep me cool and i realized the PVA material would be a good material to make an undersuit out of. It not only looks the part as far as material goes, but when you soak it in water and wring out the excess then the material is super cool to the touch and remains cool as the water slowly evaporates out of the material. Does anyone else think this is plausible?

it coule be plausible but not aplicable on a budget plus depending on what its it might do damage to ur pep or foam if it gets waterlogged but sweat or excess water from the soak but hey ima rookie to pepping so I might be over thinking it

Honestly I don't know how well this would work, the main issue I see is the moisture. First off it makes me think of a swimming shirt, which is rather uncomfortable when wet and out of the water, second is that unless the armor is completely sealed/cured the moisture may cause some damage to it

It is an interesting idea, but instead of making the suit out of Cooling towels, you could maybe incorporate into some parts of an under-suit. It would be more cost effective and minimize the risk of damage to your armor.

To be honest, the only part of your suit that ever gets almost impossible to deal with heat-wise is the helmet. I've used a product from a company called Enduracool. You can find their stuff at either lowes or home depot. It's a tube like article of cloth that does what you're talking about, but it's designed to be light weight and it makes an excellent neck "seal" for your helmet if you don't already have one.

I use a pair of overalls for my ODST undersuit that I've been altering from time to time. It's not ventilated at all other than what is naturally given off through the material, but I rarely notice how much I'm sweating in it compared to the helmet. With a few modifications though, I know I could reduce the heat retained in the overalls with some well placed meshing easily.

The only other advice I'd have for you is stay out of high heat and direct sunlight for too long and stay hydrated of course.

Trust me. You're making it more complex and ultimately more expensive than it needs to be. I've done 3-4 hours in my ODST suit and the heat isn't your only wear you down factor. You will get worn out, bruised, and batter. The heat is really only a secondary concern when it comes to a costume. You'll spend more time making it fit and sit right where you want it than you will be worrying about heat.

I'm sorry to say you're not the first to come to this line of thinking and you probably won't be the last. Most abanddon it because of what I just said above. Others realize it's more care and maintenance for the costume than it's worth. Keep it simple. Trust me.

Agreed. My full Mk VI suit breathes more than well enough to keep overheating as a minimal concern. I spent over 5 hours in my suit during the Halo 4 launch and had zero issues with overheating. My biggest problem, as 23Magnum hit on, was fitment issues (namely the thighs) and my helmet visor fogging up (fans inside the helmet come in handy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back