Molding tips.(Help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSYCHO ARMY

Hey I was wondering which would be better to use as a mold for a helmet, Rebound 25 or Dragon Skin 10 Medium. Or just let me know what you guys use to make a mold and long it the mold lasts before creating defected casts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, there's no "best" between the two. For helmet molding, both will work equally well unless you're molding a helmet with an extreme number of undercuts such as a Hayabusa, which would require Dragon Skin. Rebound is the standard, but there are other options, some cheaper. I prefer Mold Max 14 NV, as it works very similarly to Rebound yet at half the price. Granted you won't get several dozen casts from the mold, but for the majority of applications it's fine.

I also want to know what I should make my cast out of? I'm debating between smooth cast 300 or smooth cast 320. thanks for the help

I'd honestly go SC320... the 300 is just WAY too finicky. I see people always complain about how their casts are full of airbubbles.....WELL... 300 is a fast catalyzer... 3 min pot life... I make the 40mm grenades and switched to 320 for that extra time and I get NO airbubbles now.. .they have plenty of time to escape the mold now instead of just collecting in the cast. Slushing will take a little longer, but I think you will overall be more happy with 320.

Watch this video for tips on how to mold a helmet and eventually cast your own!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys im finally making my last decision and I need your guys help! should I use smooth cast 300 or 320 to rotocast a halo 4/5 Master chief helmet?

I mean, technically if your slush casting you dont really need a vac chamber anyway... as the slush method thins out the resin to evacuate any airbubbles in it

I wasn't talking about casting. I was talking about mold making.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

well, ditto on that. If you make a glove mold and brush on the silicone print coat, you dont really need a degassing chamber.

well, ditto on that. If you make a glove mold and brush on the silicone print coat, you dont really need a degassing chamber.

Platinum and more expensive products no.

However a lot of affordable, longer lasting, and higher detail mold making materials do.

Platinum and more expensive products no.

However a lot of affordable, longer lasting, and cost effective mold making materials do.

Gel- 25 is a new Platinum silicone that can be used for making a one piece glove mold. It's fast easy to use and mid priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back