3D Printer / CNC Roll Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrogy

This is for people willing to collaborate on making stuff with various digital fabrication technologies. (Inspired by)

Have a 3D Printer? Tell us about it!
Have a CNC machine? Tell us about it!
Want something 3D Printed? Find someone to print it.
Want something CNC'd? FInd someone to cut it.

We're here to make awesome halo props and costumes. Let's facilitate that.

Sure, I'll start! I do 3d modeling and design in Solidworks and Cinema 4D, as well as fabrication in light-density foam using a custom-built CNC machine-
and I also have access to a Makerbot Replicator 5th gen at the local hackerspace,
which I haven't had a chance to use yet, but would very much like to do so.

9137728903_69c389d765.jpgNord Hero Greatsword in 'pinkfoam' by vrogy, on Flickr
12766908734_3876d0cdce.jpg107_0301.JPG by vrogy, on Flickr

Me with the local makerbot.
14742964972_b2083eb32e.jpgIMG_20140705_113841 by vrogy, on Flickr

Attachments

• 9137728903_69c389d765.jpg
    9137728903_69c389d765.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 12766908734_3876d0cdce.jpg
    12766908734_3876d0cdce.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 215
  • 14742964972_b2083eb32e.jpg
    14742964972_b2083eb32e.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 215
The detail in the sword looks great, Vrogy! Is it very expensive and/or difficult to build a CNC foam cutter? I'd love to be able to 3D print certain props and costumes for my short films; until I can actually afford one, though, I'd certainly consider finding someone else to produce them for me! Thanks for starting this thread!

The detail in the sword looks great, Vrogy! Is it very expensive and/or difficult to build a CNC foam cutter? I'd love to be able to 3D print certain props and costumes for my short films; until I can actually afford one, though, I'd certainly consider finding someone else to produce them for me! Thanks for starting this thread!

Not terribly expensive, it was assembled on a pretty spare budget. It's just 8020, belts and steppers, mostly. Unless you know a little about automation and steppers it might be difficult to get it running great, and CNC programming is its own long hallway. If you have time, though, most of the information is readily available now online.

Need to know a bit more about that CNC of yours. Need on for the basement! lol. Do you use cam software or straight up g-code or what?

I can already program and whatnot. I use an AXYZ router at school, but its hard to get enough time for side projects like costumes and props....and I build guitars so I'm wanting a CNC that I can do some guitar bodies on here and there.

I'm in the market of buying a 3D-Printer, and I have done 3D-Printing in the past, but I do not own one, yet.....
I've got about $3K set aside while I look for one I'm interested in, but I haven't found one that calls my name yet.
I've also done line-by-line CNC programming in the past, rather than the automatically generated method people use these days.

I pester my boss at work about once a month that we need to have a 3D-Printer, CNC, and a laser cutter lol.

Anyone know of any decent entry-level multi-axis CNC machines? If there is a decently priced one that can rotate the object it is cutting as it goes rather than only being able to work 2-Dimensionally, I may consider getting a CNC before I get myself a 3D-Printer.
Maybe it would just be better to get a CNC that can do large pieces. I can at least make molds and bucks that way.

Need to know a bit more about that CNC of yours. Need on for the basement! lol. Do you use cam software or straight up g-code or what?

I can already program and whatnot. I use an AXYZ router at school, but its hard to get enough time for side projects like costumes and props....and I build guitars so I'm wanting a CNC that I can do some guitar bodies on here and there.

Yeah, it runs gcode via linuxcnc or mach 3. Generally I program stuff on it through either MeshCAM or Vectric's Cut3D, not manually. If it's a 2D part Aspire is pretty good. This machine doesn't really have the torque for wood, it was built to be large and light, the idea was to eventually run in tooling foam.

I'm in the market of buying a 3D-Printer, and I have done 3D-Printing in the past, but I do not own one, yet.....
I've got about $3K set aside while I look for one I'm interested in, but I haven't found one that calls my name yet.
I've also done line-by-line CNC programming in the past, rather than the automatically generated method people use these days.

I pester my boss at work about once a month that we need to have a 3D-Printer, CNC, and a laser cutter lol.

Anyone know of any decent entry-level multi-axis CNC machines? If there is a decently priced one that can rotate the object it is cutting as it goes rather than only being able to work 2-Dimensionally, I may consider getting a CNC before I get myself a 3D-Printer.
Maybe it would just be better to get a CNC that can do large pieces. I can at least make molds and bucks that way.

Honestly, build one. You'll have a much better idea of the capabilities, and how to most efficiently run it. With 3K you could build a monster.
Line by line is nice is you're doing one-off bolt hole circles- I did that for months on end recently- but props are mostly surfacing. 99% of that is just G0-1-2-3 .

Honestly, build one. You'll have a much better idea of the capabilities, and how to most efficiently run it. With 3K you could build a monster.
Line by line is nice is you're doing one-off bolt hole circles- I did that for months on end recently- but props are mostly surfacing. 99% of that is just G0-1-2-3 .

I don't really have the means to build my own since I'm in a student housing apartment. I don't have a personal shop I can use, just my bedroom.

I don't have a personal shop I can use, just my bedroom.

I'm in the same position haha. I would say go for the 3D printer now and worry about the CNC mill later. I was leaning towards Makerbot myself because they are a large company and have good customer support. While it's not open source, and replacement parts aren't cheap once out of warranty, they have a solid support team.

For those in the market for a 3D printer, I would like to add that I would advise against ones where you have to buy completely new printer cartridges each time instead of just just the material itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back