Gluing EVA Foam seams with wide gaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goboy3133

Hi guys,
I'm not sure whether this goes here or not, but after playing the Destiny Beta over the weekend, I really got into the game, and after playing a while, I decided I wanted to make a costume based around the character I had currently had in game, seeing as it was fairly easy to make armour, and I'm not all that skilled with making armour out of EVA foam.

This is my character so you know what I'm talking about:
IMG_4819.PNG

So I've been starting the upper chestplate (That section above the base, the sort of two part bit), and I've made templates for the part, and cut them out, but after I cut out the neck guard (the upper piece of the two) I noticed that when I test fitted it, there was a fairly big gap left in the armour, seen below:
IMG_4824.JPG
IMG_4825.JPG

The problem is, seeing as I don't know very much about the whole process, this being my first proper EVA Foam build, I don't really know what I'm doing, so I really have two questions that I need help with.

1. Seeing as the gaps are really wide, is there a way that I can fill the gaps, and still make the foam paintable when I get to that stage?
2. My EVA Foam is covered in bubbled holes, and I was wondering if there was any way of filling those up to get a smooth surface on my armour, and if so, how?

Thanks guys!
-goboy3133

Well for glueing foam keep in mind that the foam in maluable, and you can move it to get the seams together while glueing :).
for your issue though what you might want to do is maybe put some glue inside the game and then force the foam together so the seam is closed. hope that makes sense.

Also since you said you have no clue what you are doing then i suggest checking out some of Evakuras threads and reading as much info as you can. here is his main one you can check out. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...Rogue-Binary-Rifle-M6H-Exo-suit-WIP-PIC-HEAVY!

there is a wealth of info in his and many other threads on this community :)
if you have question do not hesitate to ask :)

I've tired filling the seams with hot glue, and it's sort of worked?
IMG_4948.JPG
I'm trying to sand the glue down so that it is smooth and conforms to the edge of the foam and the curvature.

-goboy3133

I've tired filling the seams with hot glue, and it's sort of worked?

I'm trying to sand the glue down so that it is smooth and conforms to the edge of the foam and the curvature.

-goboy3133

Hopefully you get this before you try sanding it :)

Sanding hot glue is a very last resort, and usually ends badly.

My tip is this - but PLEASE, if you do this, TAKE CAUTION. We all understand that hot glue is ... well, HOT, and will burn if you are not careful. With that in mind, what I have done in the past is - put down a decent bead of glue, enough to fill the gap - but not too much that it will push past the seams, creating a larger mess than before. I will then take my finger and wet it with cold-lukewarm water, and run my finger down that bead while the glue is still hot. If the glue hardens up too quickly, don't try to reheat it with the glue gun, but rather, use a heat gun. Several careful passes usually will clean up the seam nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back