New Recruit, can't decide on project to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KumaLeBear

Hey guys, I'm a new recruit here, I'm reading that All in One Noob Guide which is actually really helpful, but I wanted to just ask to simple (hopefully) questions. So, I'm kinda short, 5'' to be exact, which is normal for my age (14) but I don't know if that would cause problems while building the armor, my second question is, I was thinking of doing a character from Red vs Blue, not really the main characters, but a freelancer, it's between Wash and York, suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, upon reading the all in one guide, I guess I posted a stupid question.

Welcome to the 405th. I'll make a few statements that may seem a bit obvious but could help you.

I grew about 8 inches from the time I was 14 to 16 which means I would have out grown a lot of the pieces in a suit, if not all of them. My dad is 6'5" so I expected a good growth spurt. You know best how you will grow so take it into consideration when you make a suit, if you want it to last you more than a year or two. That being said, your head won't grow as much, so you could put more effort and quality into your helmet since it should last you longer. The beauty of Spartan armor is that it is individual pieces for the most part, it will allow for some growth, compared to something like Ironman which is a lot of interlocking pieces.

Scaling for your height shouldn't be that big of an issue, unless you have odd proportions, meaning skinny or thicker than what is average. You could scale them larger to facilitate some growth and pad them better so they still fit. That will have to be up to you and your judgement. Take time to prepare yourself for the project, don't just dive in. Preparation and planning will save yourself a lot of time and frustration.

I don't know much about Wash and York, I only really watched the old Red vs Blue. Best of luck on your journey though, we are here to help you if needed.

I love that show, I prefer York over Wash though.
And about the height thing I haven't grown an inch since i was 14 (5'3), I'm still hoping for a late growth spurt soon but I doubt it.
The helmet should be fine even if you do grow, i think the arms will be pretty much ok too. I've not made armour yet myself but I am taking a guess because my brother still wears the same helmet size since he was 9 he was about 4'9 then now he is near 6ft at your age. he also can fit his old shirts too -they just look a little short- which is a funny sight.
I personally wouldn't make a whole set just yet, if you can afford to make another set of armour when you out grow it though then who am i to stop you. Just remember the cost.

Well that's a relief, and I'm making a suit of armor for next year's PAX South and any future conventions until it doesn't fit. Thanks for the help.

- - - Updated - - -

Also yeah, York has seemed to be my favorite for his care for Carolina.

Honestly the cost of a foam armor is like maybe $50 if you already have the tools and whatnot - not much at all. I would say go for it, just if you think you're gonna grow a lot (I know I did from 14-15 and I probably will now from 15-16) make it slightly bigger than you are now since it will probably take a while for you to finish it. That's what I'm doing.

Im 15 and im 5'10 and i am making 3 armour suits and i agree with n8four with the helmet sizing and the armour and if you go to shoppers you can pick up some elbow braces and knee braces that wrap around the joint in your leg or arm and you can adjust it. (thats what im doing and it feels like it can work very well)

Also i would say Wash from RvB because he is known a little bit better then York and has some more popularity status with the fans of the show, but York is still badass

Undersuits depend on the suit you are doing. for spartan armor MVI and earlier people usually use dirtbike armor or similarly designed stuff. I personally recommend morph suits for anything other than ODST, which I recommend BDUs. As for custom undersuits, those are usually a little more advanced.

I've been using pepakura for sometime now and I would recommend it if you like having high detail in your armor, in very few cases have I seen a noob make a really good foam build. But even if you do use foam you should use pepakura templates so it looks ok and something you should always do is pep your helmet foam helmets look like junk in most cases (not all) just most. Something else you should know about pepakura is you need to scale it!!! The reason for this is so that it fits you. So to help here's a link to 405th member who shows you how-
Hope this helps if you have any questions let me know :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back