Admiral Osman - BB - weapons etc etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serin

Howdy fellow beings,

Thought I'd post up some of the work I've been doing as of late in preperation for the launch of The Master Chief collection.
Including the full uniform armour kit of the wonderfully named Admiral Serin Osman and her AI counterpart BlackBox.
Hoping to have it done before Semester 3 at Uni starts.. So basically I've got a month....

Ok, I started off with the ripped game files of a female UNSC officer(could be Osman but there's few ways to tell), then I ripped it to bits and started to work out how one would go about printing the spine armour.
It's quite similar to Lasky's armour from H4 but a little more curve and perhaps a little thinner.

As to the actual uniform I'll just be using some greyish material I found at SpotLight along with some stiff foam filler for the front and back parts of the kit.

MbtGDXu.jpg

Fi2lwMX.jpg

The lighter grey sections in the spine are going to be printed in a form of flexible PLA by a company called PolyMakr. Whilst I've not tried it before hopefully it'll be able to help me create a flexible back to the uniform without compromising on the fidelity of the gear.
The rest of the plastic will likely just be stock standard natural PLA that I'll be making here at home thanks to the guys at Filastruder who seem to enjoy occasionally selling cheaper test units, which lowers the cost to almost $6 per kilo of filament compared to $30-$40.
lNm7S1O.jpg

My favourite part about working from the model is that most of the areas that different textures would be mapped to are selectable without much effort, so panelling like which is in the in pants is easily unfolded and printed right out to pattern form.
g0ctNrc.jpg

Up next is BB.
I'll be printing him in 2 perimeter Taulman T-glase which should be quite capable of allowing a few LED's to shine through but with enough diffusion to create a little bit of depth.
Also I'm thinking that I'll get the base chip and glowy link part thing printed via shapeways in their Ultra Frosted Detail material as home-printers aren't quite capable of the level of detail I'd like in those pieces.
LZjdGWo.jpg

Oh and last up is a print of the ScatterShot model I did and have up on Thingiverse at the moment:
I'll be attempting to light it up via a central core of super-bright LED's.
KTSh5PV.jpg

Thanks! There shall be more to come in the not-distant future as some of the more exotic materials arrive.

Attachments

• lNm7S1O.jpg
    lNm7S1O.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 246
  • MbtGDXu.jpg
    MbtGDXu.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 222
  • Fi2lwMX.jpg
    Fi2lwMX.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 892
  • LZjdGWo.jpg
    LZjdGWo.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 217
  • g0ctNrc.jpg
    g0ctNrc.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 221
  • KTSh5PV.jpg
    KTSh5PV.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 224
I remember Osman making an appearance in Spartan ops. you might be able to grab a few good shots from the SO cutscene on youtube. Other than that I guess you are left with the description Travis gives in the book.

As for BB, lose the bowtie (unless he gets it in mortal dictata which I haven't finished), he looks best as just a blue box.

EDIT:

Found it in one of the later cutscenes

osman2_zps6f6b2568.png

osman_zps12127718.png

I'm sure the officer uniform from Forward Unto Dawn will do good too.

Attachments

• osman2_zps6f6b2568.png
    osman2_zps6f6b2568.png
    594.4 KB · Views: 213
I'm personally quite fond of giving him some personality via the bowtie.
I think it was either a ribbon or bowtie he wore for Parangoskys birthday in the books, but it wasn't working for me when I modelled it.

I'm not going for absolute replication, I find that idea rather dull.

Well, being a character from the book I say go with your minds eye of her. Have fun with it. Not everyday you get to do a spartan who never got augmented or any armor.

Mm Indeed! And either way if it turns out it doesn't work as I planned I can always just print another upper part without the tie.

This is the pic I'm using for my main reference at the moment, just in in case anyone wanted a full-body shot.
mTaB7OM.jpg

Attachments

• mTaB7OM.jpg
    mTaB7OM.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 501
I vote that you get some sheetmetal and a hammer and beat the sheetmetal until its round for the shoulder pieces. It would be extremely awesome if you did. Just saying....

Also, based on that full body picture, it definitely appears as though the piece she is wearing that is hanging down from her shoulders is a bullet proof vest.

It's hard to gauge what the material would be based on the texture that the image itself has. Looks like it was possibly scanned from one of the guide books.

Anyways, Serin Osman is totally cool. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

I vote that you get some sheetmetal and a hammer and beat the sheetmetal until its round for the shoulder pieces. It would be extremely awesome if you did. Just saying....

Also, based on that full body picture, it definitely appears as though the piece she is wearing that is hanging down from her shoulders is a bullet proof vest.

It's hard to gauge what the material would be based on the texture that the image itself has. Looks like it was possibly scanned from one of the guide books.

Anyways, Serin Osman is totally cool. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Not a bad idea! If I had access to my CSIRO engineer uncles workshop I'd be jumping on that, but unfortunately he's a world away... I'll just be printing them in le standard material unfortunately.

Just some progress on the ScatterShot... Because subtly is overrated. EDIT: wow... Back to the Lumia camera... Note to self Galaxy S5's cameras suck.
ff6zQsJ.jpg

5lQYRAT.jpg

Attachments

• ff6zQsJ.jpg
    ff6zQsJ.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 207
  • 5lQYRAT.jpg
    5lQYRAT.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 218
It is a scan from the Essential Visual Guide. I have it, but my scanner is... not very good.

LaskyVestDetail_zps40e4b443.png
But as far as the material goes, I do have this render of Lasky's in-game model. Well, I have several, but this one's good for material selection.

Don't need sheet medal. Use sintra/PVC foam board. It's lighter, more forgiving, and sands like it was made to love wet 200 grit.

I was just going to print them in two parts, glue em then finish. :p

vaP0MKv.jpg

Little bit more progress on the Scattershot.
Finally cranking the printer up to 150mm/s so hopefully the rest won't take more than a day.

bWFG5MA.jpg

Attachments

• bWFG5MA.jpg
    bWFG5MA.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 217
  • vaP0MKv.jpg
    vaP0MKv.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 205
Well, if you are going to be gluing two pieces just side by side, I will suggest considering having a back piece behind them (it doesnt have to be visible or anything). It would help reinforce the seam.

Oh, and can you post a picture of the scattershot model you have been printing?

Well, if you are going to be gluing two pieces just side by side, I will suggest considering having a back piece behind them (it doesnt have to be visible or anything). It would help reinforce the seam.

Oh, and can you post a picture of the scattershot model you have been printing?

Go here: www.thingiverse.com/thing:264639
Click on "thingiview" to view it in 3D.

As to the backing, that's quite unnecessary with printed parts, doubly so parts glued with araldite, a type of epoxy.

Little bit of progress, though it's been slowed down by sickness and terrible weather. Somehow I don't think I'm going to make it before uni starts up....

EL wire! Decided to go with blue as opposed to red to denote allegiance to the Librarian instead of the Didact.
Though I did get some red wire just in case the blue sucked.

Se1DJ7N.jpg

xse6FLT.jpg

Attachments

• Se1DJ7N.jpg
    Se1DJ7N.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 194
  • xse6FLT.jpg
    xse6FLT.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 209
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back