Halo 4 M6H Officer Scale Pistol - 3D Render & Print!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeoWorks Armory

Yay first thread! This was originally posted on theRPF, but posting here to get a bit more exposure. I'm about 48 hours away until update 1!

I would like to share this piece I've been working on for the past few weeks. It was sculpted in ZBrush 4R6 and is currently being 3D printed. I used game renders as reference but also threw in a few concept references as well as some realistic touches based on the Desert Eagle. My goals for this piece is to use Dupli-Color High Fill Primer to finish the print surfaces, add real screws/bolts, and then produce resin castings. Currently working on a clear display base as well. Enjoy!

Model: M6H
Size: Officer Scale
Length: 11"
Height: 8.5"

M6H Officer_1.jpg

M6H Officer_2.jpg

[video]http://meoworks.tumblr.com/video_file/93600818809/tumblr_n9ouzus6oQ1s054tj[/video]

Update 1: The Print

Spraying filler tomorrow, have to also fill in some spots with bondo and then spray some more :)

M6H Officer_3.jpg

M6H Officer_4.jpg

M6H Officer_5.jpg

Jaw drop.. This is awesome! If you release it I will probably use it.. Excellent excellent work!

Decent high poly you got there. I've never used a 3d printer before, but I was wondering if it's even worth using dub-d model techniques for round edges?

For me it seems that you would be better off leaving them sharp so you can sand them down later to get a perfect edge. What are your thoughts on this?

Decent high poly you got there. I've never used a 3d printer before, but I was wondering if it's even worth using dub-d model techniques for round edges?

For me it seems that you would be better off leaving them sharp so you can sand them down later to get a perfect edge. What are your thoughts on this?
Depends on the resolution of the 3d printer and how fast you want it done. Many newer ones have actually astounding resolution if you don't mind the job taking forever to print.

Firstly, thanks for all the positive feedback, really appreciate it.

As for actual printing and work involved, the less work I have to do after the print the better haha. It's why I try to cram as much printable detail and finish as possible into the 3D model. After decimating it to a super low poly model, I export it as a .STL and slice it with a program to generate printable gcode. The printer then does all the work for me, in all its slow...0.1mm layer height glory.

I have about half printed, will update soon!

Looks good so far. Personally, I'm not a fan of ZBrush, but it seems to work well enough. I look forward to pictures of the printed copy.

Depends on the resolution of the 3d printer and how fast you want it done. Many newer ones have actually astounding resolution if you don't mind the job taking forever to print.
I agree. I personally have one of the newer 3D printers, and it takes forever to print anything with a layer height of 0.1 mm.

Firstly, thanks for all the positive feedback, really appreciate it.

As for actual printing and work involved, the less work I have to do after the print the better haha. It's why I try to cram as much printable detail and finish as possible into the 3D model. After decimating it to a super low poly model, I export it as a .STL and slice it with a program to generate printable gcode. The printer then does all the work for me, in all its slow...0.1mm layer height glory.

I have about half printed, will update soon!

I think my post was a little misleading. What I was trying to say was is it even worth rounding off all the edges that would otherwise be hard? Now I don't mean leaving out t.

I've never used Zbrush for sculpting, only mudbox and polycoat. So I don't know the processes you go through for your hard-surface modeling, but for me it would seem easier to leave the exposed ones hard so they could be sanded out perfectly.

You are still going to be sanding to some extent right?

No worries, I think I wasn't very clear in my explanation or rather, didn't explain enough. Yes, I will be sanding after the print is completed, but I won't be sanding the plastic. What I am sanding is the high fill primer that needs to be applied to cover up the horizontal print lines (voids). For me, it was easier to round my edges (trigger, grips etc) in the software since it's accurate (due to x-symmetry), leave my sharp edges (slide, laser etc) intact, and have the precision printer print that rather than print all sharp edges and filing it down. PLA is also very hard to sand and I don't recommend it :(

If I had posted a bigger, higher res screen, you can see that even where the edge is very sharp, I still did round it a bit just out of habit of having everything neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back