How to rank up on the forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Builder

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but how do you rank up to the next level (infantryman)?

I heard it was something like 30 post or 30 days. Is that correct? Because I also head it was something like 6 months.

It's not holding me back from anything important except posting in the midwest region forum. Which I really want to be part of.

It may have changed but it used to be a year (give or take) or 100 posts (give or take 10-20)

Upvote 0
Currently to get member status, which will let you start threads in other forums (you can already post to a previously started thread), you must have 30 cinstructive posts and 30 days in time with the forums. To get Infantryman you have to have 6 months in time, and 100 constructive posts.

Upvote 0
Not too many people can even post in any of the region forums because that is still being sorted out as far as what wants to be done with them and how they will be set up. I myself can NOT even post in them either.

Upvote 0
Not too many people can even post in any of the region forums because that is still being sorted out as far as what wants to be done with them and how they will be set up. I myself can NOT even post in them either.

Yep, what she said. As the regiments are sorted out the forums posts are not really enabled. Once it all is semi-solidified there will probably be some sort of regiment 'manager' (my word no reference to any actual rank or position) who will be able to provide posting access to each regiment's forums.

The pacific regiment is able to be posted to because they already had a foundation set out that they were operating on over on Facebook. All you currently have to do to join the regiment is send a request to be a member to one of the regiment's 'managers' (again my word, no actual rank or position). This may change as things get more formal.

But no one is meaning to keep you from joining the illustrious Midwest Regiment, just putting you into a holding pattern until your flight plan can be confirmed.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for the replys!

Yeah I wasn't aware that the midwest forum could not be replied to. I thought I couldn't post because of my rank.
Thanks you very much for pointing that out.

I saw that Art just posted a forum that says the ranking system has changed to 50 post and 90 days.

Upvote 0
This did just change from 30 days and 30 posts to 90 days and 50 posts.

Between now and then, you can post in any forum, but cannot create threads outside of the new recruits area (and here in Site Support).

If you are associated with a Regiment (they are still all unofficial at the moment) and want access to post there, shoot me a PM and we will put you in contact with the person overseeing that Regiment.

Upvote 0
Look, I'm not someone who posts a lot, so I don't see this as a fair restriction. We should all be able to comment on anything, any time, I thought that's the whole point to being part of a community?

Also, if I want to create a build thread, that I'm sure will go to elite status right off the bat, if it does, then my limited posting will keep me from even being able to comment on my own thread, correct?

I'm all for site management and all, but I'm not for restrictions on what and where I can post, doesn't that infringe on freedom of speech? Not trying to start anything, just inquisitive at this point...

Upvote 0
Look, I'm not someone who posts a lot, so I don't see this as a fair restriction. We should all be able to comment on anything, any time, I thought that's the whole point to being part of a community?

Also, if I want to create a build thread, that I'm sure will go to elite status right off the bat, if it does, then my limited posting will keep me from even being able to comment on my own thread, correct?

I'm all for site management and all, but I'm not for restrictions on what and where I can post, doesn't that infringe on freedom of speech? Not trying to start anything, just inquisitive at this point...

If your thread were to be moved to the elite section, it wouldn't be until you are far into your build, which by that time you should be an Infantryman status anyway. These regulations are how it's always been on these forums, far before Art took over. Being an Infantryman is a privilege and shows you are a productive member of the community, you've got to earn that by actively participating in the community. These requirements are also in place so that you can learn how our community works. I'm glad to see your enthusiasm about your build. Once you start your build thread and keep it active, I'm sure you'll reach Infantryman status quickly.

Upvote 0

I think the pertinent information that glasscutter wants to shine a light on is this:

Between now and then, you can post in any forum, but cannot create threads outside of the new recruits area (and here in Site Support).

So you are still able to comment on any thread, but are only restricted to beginning your own, new threads in the New Recruits section. If your build is great, and people want it to be recognized as elite then the moderators can be asked to move the post to that section at a later time. But by posting it initially in the New Recruits section you are creating in the area where all of the new members are looking about (for fresh ideas and input) and where the old guard (ie. experienced 405th members) who like to help lurk to provide input when challenges arise (for help when you get stuck). I have my build in the New Recruits section, and I am quite happy with it there. I am new to this and do not expect to class myself as 'Elite' as I have not proven it yet.

So my suggestion would be to start in the new recruits, and then when the amazingness of your build astounds us all we will beg the moderators to move your work to that holy grail of Elite status, and you can bask in your glory and our admiration. Sound Good?

Upvote 0
Thank you for your comments, helps greatly!

I'm not saying I would deserve elite status right away, or at all, I just was more concerned with that if I wasn't at the level needed to keep commenting on my own thread, how would I be able to answer peoples questions then?
Also, with other areas and this new regiment scheme, I'm finding it difficult to ask questions myself on other threads that are part of other areas. That's what is mainly seeming counter intuitive to me. :(

Upvote 0
The regiment section is still in it's infancy and is not open to the community yet, it's a Beta. The only people that can post in the regiments are people that have been approved by the leader of the regiment. If you want to be a member of that regiment, you will have to contact the leader and ask.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your comments, helps greatly!

I'm not saying I would deserve elite status right away, or at all, I just was more concerned with that if I wasn't at the level needed to keep commenting on my own thread, how would I be able to answer peoples questions then?
Also, with other areas and this new regiment scheme, I'm finding it difficult to ask questions myself on other threads that are part of other areas. That's what is mainly seeming counter intuitive to me. :(

To help further put you at ease (I hope) if you were to start a build thread in the New Recruits section (which you are currently able to do) and it was moved to the Elite section, you would still be able to continue posting there because all members are able to post on existing threads (regardless of where it was moved to, the thread exists and therefore anyone can post in it). So you would still be fully able to post answers, updates, etc. on the thread you created just the same as you are able to post on other people's threads now. The difference in member status simply means you cannot begin a new thread outside of the New Recruit forum.

As for your initial concern about "exclusion" or excessive restriction because you don't see yourself as the type who posts frequently, I was in the same boat when I first joined. I wasn't in any position to begin a build, didn't know anyone in the forum so I wasn't all that comfortable just jumping into conversations, and because I didn't have the experience of other members, I felt that I wouldn't have much worthwhile to contribute to any help threads that others couldn't handle better than I could. But as time went by I got more comfortable and started posting more and quite honestly it felt like the promotion to Infantryman came sooner than I thought it would.

Upvote 0
I'm all for site management and all, but I'm not for restrictions on what and where I can post

I think others have pretty much answered the rest of the questions brought up, but I just want to touch on these two points.

First, no new restrictions have been placed. These are the same old restrictions that have been here for years. We have only changed the time and amount of posts needed to "move up."

doesn't that infringe on freedom of speech?

We often see an argument made regarding a person's "rights" and even a "freedom of speech."

Please keep in mind that this has always been and continues to be a privately owned and operated community. When each member signs up, they acknowledge this and agree that their rights will be limited as the administration of the community sees fit and that those rights may change. The same is true for Facebook, eBay, Amazon and practically every site you visit on the internet. The first Amendment of the Bill of Rights states:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Many people confuse "Congress" with "Everyone" and mistakenly believe the first amendment grants you a "freedom of speech." The first amendment states that Congress cannot make a law that abridges your freedom of speech. It protects you from the government (not a private party like this site) censoring you. We have the ability to limit anyone in any way we see fit. Do we exercise that ability? Absolutely! We refuse to allow people who don't register to post at all. Don't register; and your freedom to post here is completely eliminated. The same has always been and continues to be the case for new members. New members can only create threads in certain places, but can post virtually anywhere.

@transmut1, I am not specifically calling you out, but since you are the first to post it, I want to be clear that we will always listen to member concerns and criticism, but if you actually hope to sway us on something, coming at us with things such as your "rights" or talking to us about "censorship" or your "freedom of speech" aren't going to get you very far.

Upvote 0
The regiment section is still in it's infancy and is not open to the community yet, it's a Beta. The only people that can post in the regiments are people that have been approved by the leader of the regiment. If you want to be a member of that regiment, you will have to contact the leader and ask.

Completely on target. The Regiment area is a complete train wreck right now so PLEASE be patient with us on this!

Upvote 0
Art Andrews said:
Please keep in mind that this has always been and continues to be a privately owned and operated community. When each member signs up, they acknowledge this and agree that their rights will be limited as the administration of the community sees fit and that those rights may change. The same is true for Facebook, eBay, Amazon and practically every site you visit on the internet.

All that wonderful fine print that 99.9% of users all across the net never bother to read before clicking "I agree." :darnkids

Like those people who act so shocked and indignant for having their Xbox Live account banned for excessive foul language and verbal harassment. It's in the code of conduct. Break it, and their "right to free speech" earns them a banhammering. With every right comes a responsibility, and one of the overlying responsibilities is to read everything before you agree to anything because you never know what might be asked of you or what you might have to set aside in order to comply.

That's why I'm in the 0.1% known as "geeks" who actually take the time to read, or at least thoroughly skim, any and all prerequisite agreements :D:thumbsup

Upvote 0
First, no new restrictions have been placed. These are the same old restrictions that have been here for years. We have only changed the time and amount of posts needed to "move up."

Quote Originally Posted by transmut1 View Post

doesn't that infringe on freedom of speech?
We often see an argument made regarding a person's "rights" and even a "freedom of speech."

Please keep in mind that this has always been and continues to be a privately owned and operated community. When each member signs up, they acknowledge this and agree that their rights will be limited as the administration of the community sees fit and that those rights may change. The same is true for Facebook, eBay, Amazon and practically every site you visit on the internet. The first Amendment of the Bill of Rights states:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. Many people confuse "Congress" with "Everyone" and mistakenly believe the first amendment grants you a "freedom of speech." The first amendment states that Congress cannot make a law that abridges your freedom of speech. It protects you from the government (not a private party like this site) censoring you. We have the ability to limit anyone in any way we see fit. Do we exercise that ability? Absolutely! We refuse to allow people who don't register to post at all. Don't register; and your freedom to post here is completely eliminated. The same has always been and continues to be the case for new members. New members can only create threads in certain places, but can post virtually anywhere.

@transmut1, I am not specifically calling you out, but since you are the first to post it, I want to be clear that we will always listen to member concerns and criticism, but if you actually hope to sway us on something, coming at us with things such as your "rights" or talking to us about "censorship" or your "freedom of speech" aren't going to get you very far.

Art thank you for clearing that all up, and I'm sorry if I seemed my words were in an attacking manner. I did not mean them to be. I tend to be very blunt and upfront about things, the same as I am in talking with textual conversing, so I often come across mean or misunderstood. I just can't stand our current government, and every time I see or feel a new restriction whether RL or virtual it grinds my gears. I also, tend to forget those pesky, yet necessary, terms you agree too after accepting them. I do skim them at the very least. Especially after my whole mortgage fiasco, thanks to country wide, I read every darn contract now, not gunna go thru that again.

I do really appreciate you guys explaining things to me very clearly.

Zaff thank you for your comments too, they were just as helpful. :)

I think I understand everything much better now. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back