Easy Pep helmet to make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiden26

So I need to make 11 Pep helmets and fast for some up coming films. I can't do molds and casting because the material is to expensive. I already have bondo and resin. So if anyone knows of a pep model that can made quick, please notify me. Thanks!

Do the helmets all have to be the same?

I think in the long run you will find that you would rather have a more complex pep then a simple one. Of Course they take a lot more time to build but they hold a lot more detail and save a lot in the bondoing process, that is if their smooth.

Do the helmets all have to be the same?

I think in the long run you will find that you would rather have a more complex pep then a simple one. Of Course they take a lot more time to build but they hold a lot more detail and save a lot in the bondoing process, that is if their smooth.

Yes they do have to be the same. I to rather have detailed helmets but I have 2 weeks. Unless I found free casting supplies then I would do a detailed helmet.

I was able to get 6 three layered medium sized helmets out of a half gallon kit.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I dont know exactly since ive never casted anything. I would guess maybe 8-10. Just a guess though.

I one gallon kit may get you 6, but they might not bee too tough. Depends on a few factors, the quality of the mold being one, and experience being a big other one. There are a few more that I can't think of off hand, but experience goes a long way. You'll know where to reinforce it to keep the casts strong. I typically get a good 4 or 5 out of a gallon.

I'm pretty sure there is a reach version somewhere, but I can't seem to find it now that I'm looking. I swear I had one, but it may have been h3.

So I need to make 11 Pep helmets and fast for some up coming films. I can't do molds and casting because the material is to expensive. I already have bondo and resin. So if anyone knows of a pep model that can made quick, please notify me. Thanks!

11 Helmets in two weeks in pep, that's a lot of work. I believe if you make a mold you can cast in Rondo (Resin+Bondo slurry), I think I saw Sean Bradley or someone do it back in the day. Could be wrong, but it might be something to look into. Somewhere there is (or should to be) some talk about using the silicone caulk from the hardware store to make molds, but I don't think it worked very well. Again, its been a long time, I could be remembering wrong.

I'm pretty sure there is a reach version somewhere, but I can't seem to find it now that I'm looking. I swear I had one, but it may have been h3.

11 Helmets in two weeks in pep, that's a lot of work. I believe if you make a mold you can cast in Rondo (Resin+Bondo slurry), I think I saw Sean Bradley or someone do it back in the day. Could be wrong, but it might be something to look into. Somewhere there is (or sued to be) some talk about using the silicone caulk from the hardware store to make molds, but I don't think it worked very well. Again, its been a long time, I could be remembering wrong.

I too thought of casting Rondo. But someone told me it would be to brittle. As for caulk silicone molds. It works pretty well. You just need to give the cast a light sand when it comes out.

Not sure about hot brittle it would be. Could probably fix that by adjusting the ratios? Dunno.

If your gonna do anything molding/casting the go to reference is The Prop Builder's Molding and Casting Handbook (ISBN:1558701281).
It can be found on amazon (Here), 10 bucks for digital or 18 with prime shipping for the paperback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back