Soft Parts My New Halo 4 Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cr4zyDav0

Jr Member
Hey 405th, its been a while since i was actually active on here but i'm returning for a small side project amongst other things.

Because this helmet is slightly too big, its going to someone else who wants it (swapped the helmet for them making me a couple of visors)
render 01.png

So far i've gotten about 1/3 of the bits cut out:
IMG_20140819_171935.jpg
still cutting out the peices atm, and if anyone has any tips/links to either build/buy a legendary visor

thanks,
CrazyDav0

Attachments

• Screenshot (201).png
    Screenshot (201).png
    1.7 MB · Views: 349
UPDATE (sort of): i finished cutting everything out. but can't start assembling yet, because i lost my glue gun (it's been a while since i've used it.)
20140825_143512_Android.jpg

Once i get a new glue gun, i can actually make a start, but until then does anyone have any tips for vacuum forming visors? like what to use for the mold, what plastic to use, how to tint properly, how to ad the hex pattern to the visor, etc.

CrazyDav0

For dyeing Visors = http://youtu.be/lGUf1VpvICI = is a great tutorial
Hex pattern im going to probably see about getting a vinyl stencle made and use that during the dyeing process to create the different colors for the hex pattern and add a one way mirror window film to make the visor mirrored.
for the visor material = http://www.widgetworksunlimited.com/Polycarbonate_Thermoform_Plastic_s/48.htm is a good start, but probably wanna do some research on what would be best thickness
no idea for how to do the buck/mold im sure if ya search the forums theres someone that has a tutorial written

For dyeing Visors = http://youtu.be/lGUf1VpvICI = is a great tutorial
Hex pattern im going to probably see about getting a vinyl stencle made and use that during the dyeing process to create the different colors for the hex pattern and add a one way mirror window film to make the visor mirrored.
for the visor material = http://www.widgetworksunlimited.com/Polycarbonate_Thermoform_Plastic_s/48.htm is a good start, but probably wanna do some research on what would be best thickness
no idea for how to do the buck/mold im sure if ya search the forums theres someone that has a tutorial written

thanks, i've found a few different methods for vacuum-forming and tinting and have a few in mind.

UPDATE: Ive Finished the assembly stage :D
20140831_145803_Android.jpg20140831_145821_Android.jpg
20140831_145838_Android.jpg20140831_145850_Android.jpg

now that its finished, i noticed that its a little too big, which sucks. it isn't too much bigger than it should be, and im gonna make it again anyway, so its more of a display item than a wearable helmet.
if anyone has any criticism and tips please let me know.
Thanks,
CrazyDav0

Awesome Lookin'!

UPDATE: I've now finished cutting out the details out of foamies,

20140913_155445_Android.jpg
but have reached a problem. the foamies i'm using are a thinner than the normal 1.8/2mm ones. does anyone have any ideas how to glue them on without having big lumps of hot glue showing from under the foam?
if anyone knows how to work around this problem, or have any ideas, please post them

Thanks,
CrazyDav0

When using hot glue it is like a wax or plastic when in the cooling stage but you have a small amount. When I tried to pull it off I used a small piece of bendable plastic something like a old credit card or hotel room key card. Hope it helps and kick but helmet BTW!

I use Aleene's original tacky glue for all my pepping since its a craft glue i would guess its would be good for foam aswell it will be a little slower going but you will probably have little to no lumps useing that thin of foam
amazon linky

looking awesome cant wait to see the finished helm
When using hot glue it is like a wax or plastic when in the cooling stage but you have a small amount. When I tried to pull it off I used a small piece of bendable plastic something like a old credit card or hotel room key card. Hope it helps and kick but helmet BTW!
TY :D

I use Aleene's original tacky glue for all my pepping since its a craft glue i would guess its would be good for foam aswell it will be a little slower going but you will probably have little to no lumps useing that thin of foam
amazon linky
Thanks, i did try using spray adhesive, but it didn't work as well, so i just ended up going with hot glue.

UPDATE:
Finally finished the assembly stage, all the foamies are on, and the next stage is Plastidipping :D
20141003_130813_Android.jpg
20141003_130827_Android.jpg
20141003_130842_Android.jpg
20141003_130852_Android.jpg

CrazyDav0

wow that stinks that you had to make a new one but nice work on this one looks like it came out great'
just wondering why no one seems to like foam for Helmets ? is there some thing I should know

majorflint it is due to most helmets in foam are not executed well, so do not look good.

Most perfer teh look of the pepakura for helmets. I personally am going to be working on a combination of the two. Pepakura as my base, with foam details due to the helmet I am working on has just one hell of a lot of tiny details that I do not have the skill of dremel and molding out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea of using different foam colors for different pieces to differentiate them. I am going to have to try that when I get off my lazy butt and make a foam build!

This has to be one of the best foam helmets I've seen. Typically they are really bloated or just completely wrong but that is amazing work. To the point that it would be hard to paint to hide its all its colorful foam glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back