Silhouette Cameo Pepakura Video Tutorial by RobotChicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much for putting this together and making it publicly available. I now have three halo 4 suits to build (along with my husband), so skipping the printing AND automating the cutting and scoring will make a HUGE difference!

This thread should be stuck so it doesn't get pushed to the back. One of the biggest complaints most people have when working with Pepakura has been the cutting/scoring portion of the project. For the people who like to use Pepakura models as a base for their work, but hate the cutting/scoring part, a Cameo is almost a must have item. I had considered getting a Cameo a while back, but I decided not to due to the lack of information available on how they work with Pepakura Designer. I also looked into getting a Craft Robo, but the reviews on it varied too widely. This tutoral has convinced me to finally break down and buy a Cameo when the funds are available (convention money comes first for now lol).

In my opinion, not having to cut out parts for a Pepakura model means you can add more to the models with little consequence. Most models are simplified to make the whole building process easier. One of the main reasons you don't see a lot of extra smooth models with a lot of detail is due to the fact that it takes way more time to cut out and build. If you eliminate the cutting portion of the job then you can justify the extra time it takes to build. The better the base model the less work you have to do down the road. A smoother base model with more details means less body filler work, less sanding, and of course less elbow grease. I know not everyone feels this way, but I would much rather spend an extra hour or two building a Pepakura model to save time/materials down the road.

Thank you for this tutorial!!!!

I watched the video, picked up the equipment, set up the pages, and got 'er done. This is going to save me so much time (and hand cramps)!

The pens I purchased were totally dried up though; I will have to exchange them today.

How hard are the models to put together without edge IDs? lol. I imagine it being a giant jigsaw puzzle. I've been looking into the cameo for a while now.

How hard are the models to put together without edge IDs? lol. I imagine it being a giant jigsaw puzzle. I've been looking into the cameo for a while now.

I don't find it terribly difficult to line up the parts for the most part. In certain instances where you are lining up pieces along a curve things tend to try to pull out of shape, with edge ids you would notice it right away, but without sometimes you won't notice until the next piece gets put on and doesn't quite reach the intended fold. Otherwise you use the models to pick what piece to attache next, and where is needs to get attached and just align from fold to fold. On my Halo 4 arm piece only one flap got incorrectly attached and had to be taken apart.

One thing that can cause the curved pieces to pull out of shape is the "hide almost flat folding lines" option. Many people use that feature in Pepakura Designer to smooth out a model. The only problem is that this doesn't actually smooth the model out at all. It's perfectly fine to use the feature to nerf some of the sharp corners in curved shapes, but if you set the threshold too low it can make it more difficult to assemble some pieces. I prefer to stay around 170. If you go the no edge ID route make sure to pay extra attention to the pieces during assembly if the threshold for that setting is lower than 170.

Ok so I've been using this method for some time now and after taking a break just getting back into my Reach build. Anyway I've come across a few problems first every time I arrange parts in Pep Designer near the top of page layout and import to cameo some times the top gets cut onto the mat even though it's all within the cut area and end up placing parts near the bottom. Second in cameo highlighting fold lines with sketch pens (not sure if this is the problem your referring to in red) this only happens half the time I'm working on a armor piece...I get a diagonal line shooting from a part straight to the top left corner which is no big deal because it won't be cut. The next problem involves the second which half the time the parts get cut correctly then others get misaligned or miss cut/no cut/ random cuts. Everytime this happens I end up re doing the layout and whatnot but the whole process is annoying. I'll try to revert back to v2 when I get the chance to get new pens and blades.

Wow, this is a really good tutorial! As I want to make an UHD suit this could help ALOT
However, after a quick google shop...WAM!! straight in nuts, £200/300 for this bad boy...but then it will be so much better/quicker. So this requires some thought, or rather justification, on buying one of these.

Thanks a lot RobotChicken

I was thinking about the time it would take cutting vs actual build too.
and although it seems expensive, time is money! And this little bad boy will save A LOT of time!!

That's a good idea, I will have a look around to see where sells some near me.
Still have to scale, so have some time yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back