New Member Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
We have setup a new member map that TRIES to automatically determine where members are located. Usually it is fairly good at locating you, but if it is incorrect or you don't like where it points, you can move your pin yourself.

This only works for FULL members WITH 50 or more posts and does not work for New Recruits. Why? Because there are still a PILE of spammers in the New Recruits section and we don't want them listed on the map.

Don't want to be on the map? Easy enough. Just check the opt-out button on your pin and you will be removed.

This map is ONLY VIEWABLE BY MEMBERS. Non-members cannot see it.

http://www.405th.com/membermap.php

What if you don't show up at all? I'm not on there, and when prompted to share my location, I allowed it, refreshed, still not there.

Upvote 0
Awesome tool! I'm actually really curious as how it works, is it populating based on the location field from our profiles?

It is based on IP and tries to resolve them which is why not everyone shows up and why some people do not show up in the correct location. It is an imperfect solution, but a good start.

Upvote 0
I'm also not seeing my pin anywhere. Would it be possible (if it's not there already and I just missed it) to add an option for manually inputting your location rather than relying on the IP address? Our network is set up to randomly assign IP addresses every time a device logs onto it, I don't know if that would have anything to do with why the map can't find certain people.

Upvote 0
Found myself.

Any way to have other people added if you know where they are? TheBradinator is also located at The University of Oklahoma.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
My marker was within a mile or two of where I live.

But when I first visited the map, I did so from work. Which is 45 miles away.
I had a "Share Location" popup menu show up and I said yes.

I wonder if it lucked out when it placed me where it did or what.

Also, I think it is important to note that we shouldn't put our markers directly over where we live. Leave them off by about a half mile. People don't need to know our exact locations and I don't want someone to get robbed or anything if someone comes here and sees that you have some really expensive stuff laying around when you post pictures of the inside of your garage.

Just wanted everyone to have a heads up. Better to play things safe than to not. We only need to know a general area of where someone is and we can then contact them if we want to meet up to find out where they do live.

Upvote 0
Finally found my pin...Kaduna, Nigeria in Africa. lol. I do believe whoever wrote the coding behind the IP address tracking software in that map might need to tweak it a bit. Still, this is going to be a very useful feature if we can get everyone involved. Not only can we figure out who are neighbors are, it could also prove useful in determining where the densest populations are and therefore where it would be the most logical to set up regimental and/or squad "headquarters" in our area, a place where members can all gather and meet up to talk face-to-face without the hullabaloo (and expense) of meeting at a convention.

Upvote 0
The member map has me being in Perth, Ontario instead of Ottawa, lol. Not too far off.

Just moved my marker over, now I don't see it :p Obviously, still a few things to tweak.

Upvote 0
LOL there must be an awesome city in the Ocean around Africa, i was there lol.
I have moved the marker to where its supposed to be in good on Las Vegas, NV. :) Hopefully it stays where i put it lol

Upvote 0
Apparently I've got a vacation home I didn't know about in Pennsylvania because that's where I found my marker. Moved it to its proper location in Boise, ID.

Upvote 0
Looks like the map is starting to come together, though I don't know how so many of us keeping starting off the coast of Africa.

Upvote 0
Can't find myself. Do our pins show up a different color on our screens so I know what to look for? Can't find myself in my real location, my work's IP location, or off the coast of Africa. Hmm...

Upvote 0
No. My work probably took the initiative to deny it completely from the admin side. I'll have to dust off my computer at home and try that way.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back