New Member Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
We have setup a new member map that TRIES to automatically determine where members are located. Usually it is fairly good at locating you, but if it is incorrect or you don't like where it points, you can move your pin yourself.

This only works for FULL members WITH 50 or more posts and does not work for New Recruits. Why? Because there are still a PILE of spammers in the New Recruits section and we don't want them listed on the map.

Don't want to be on the map? Easy enough. Just check the opt-out button on your pin and you will be removed.

This map is ONLY VIEWABLE BY MEMBERS. Non-members cannot see it.

http://www.405th.com/membermap.php

Can't find myself. Do our pins show up a different color on our screens so I know what to look for? Can't find myself in my real location, my work's IP location, or off the coast of Africa. Hmm...

That would have been very helpful when trying to find my pin - if our own pin was highlighted by a different color from everybody else. Instead I had to hunt around until eventually locating my pin. It would be more user-friendly to have our own pin a different color. Another neat enhancement would be to have our friend's pins also in a different color.

Upvote 0
Can't find myself. Do our pins show up a different color on our screens so I know what to look for? Can't find myself in my real location, my work's IP location, or off the coast of Africa. Hmm...

After you get things sorted with the "can the 405th use your location" pop-up, the only really noticable difference between your pin and anyone elses is that instead of a dot in the bulb, you'll have more of a star/hollow asterisk looking thing. But that's not going to be too easy to notice until you zoom in quite a bit, and I'm not 100% certain if that only shows up after you've clicked on and/or moved the pin, as I can't remember if it was like that before I moved mine or not.

Upvote 0
Looks like the map is starting to come together, though I don't know how so many of us keeping starting off the coast of Africa.

Thanks for the tip. I couldn't find myself, but then looked off the coast of Africa, and there I was.

Upvote 0
When you first go to the map, you should get a pop-up asking to use your location. Did you not get that?
Okay, opened it at home and got the pop-up to approve. I did, and refreshed the page, and still can't find me. I must be hiding somewhere weird that isn't Africa...

Upvote 0
Okay, opened it at home and got the pop-up to approve. I did, and refreshed the page, and still can't find me. I must be hiding somewhere weird that isn't Africa...

You are in the Netherlands.

Someone tell @Gilmore of OK that he needs to get out of Afghanistan lol. Pretty sure he said he was in Denver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Well, as Art's pointed out this is very much a work in progress component to the forums, so I expect it won't be an entirely reliable reference tool just yet :p lol

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back