Halo Books Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cskippro

I just got reading Ghosts of Onyx....awesome!!

I have read some bad reviews of the author who took up the mantle after ghosts. Is it worth the time to read? If not, I am open to suggestions of what to read next.

Thanks!

This would probably be better suited to the Discussion forum - but honestly, it depends.

I personally didn't like Traviss' attempts at Halo - she's not well-respected for her other work on Star Wars and Gears of War either. But, some people like her. I personally think she's a hack.

I tried the discussion forum but it did not give me a new thread option. I guess it's because I'm a new member.

Thanks for the advice though. I haven't found anyone to say anything good about her. That sucks... I really like ghosts and it left off with such promise.

I pounded through the books since she isnt my favorite. They tie into the later books too so i recommend them just so you have the bits and pieces in the timeline.

I pounded through the books since she isnt my favorite. They tie into the later books too so i recommend them just so you have the bits and pieces in the timeline.

That's what I figured. I guess I'll just get through them, just as soon as I finish this build....now where did my dang knife go

If you're looking for other good books after the Halo series and you're anything like me (I like gritty sci-fi and fantasy) I'd recommend Brent Weeks (Night Angel trilogy was amazing, his new series is really good too) and Patrick Rothfuss (The Name of the Wind).

If you're looking for other good books after the Halo series and you're anything like me (I like gritty sci-fi and fantasy) I'd recommend Brent Weeks (Night Angel trilogy was amazing, his new series is really good too) and Patrick Rothfuss (The Name of the Wind).

Awesome man! I will check those out.

I've read them all and now halo 4 makes more sense then before. plus is it me or do you think they should tell us how jun got off reach at some point.

I've read them all and now halo 4 makes more sense then before. plus is it me or do you think they should tell us how jun got off reach at some point.

Its said that he was with Halsey and then may have died. But i think a better ending would be in store.

Jun is a recruiter for the spartan IVs now. Anyways, I myself don't like karen travis too much, but her books are ok story wise. I prefer Eric Nylund any day. I recommend reading fall of reach and first strike, as ghosts of onyx is the last book of the trilogy. There is also halo escalation, but ever since the new guy took over I have been getting progressively pissed at him because
he kills off black team after years of wondering what happened to them and he also is treating fred kelly and linda with the most amount of disrespect as characters you can

Jun is a recruiter for the spartan IVs now. Anyways, I myself don't like karen travis too much, but her books are ok story wise. I prefer Eric Nylund any day. I recommend reading fall of reach and first strike, as ghosts of onyx is the last book of the trilogy. There is also halo escalation, but ever since the new guy took over I have been getting progressively pissed at him because
he kills off black team after years of wondering what happened to them and he also is treating fred kelly and linda with the most amount of disrespect as characters you can

lets hope gray team is still kicking somewhere in all that and what do you mean black team is dead send me a link I want to know where in the story that is.

Fall of Reach is one of the best Sci-Fi/Military books I've ever read. I'm guessing most people will have read that first as its the Chief's origin story... but in case you haven't I highly recommend it :)

Fall of Reach is one of the best Sci-Fi/Military books I've ever read. I'm guessing most people will have read that first as its the Chief's origin story... but in case you haven't I highly recommend it :)
Personally my favorite of the original trio is First Strike, but Fall of Reach is a close second. I didn't particularly like The Flood.

the flood isn't part of eric nylund's trilogy. ghosts of onyx is the third novel.

lets hope gray team is still kicking somewhere in all that and what do you mean black team is dead send me a link I want to know where in the story that is.

warning, spoilers:

This guy claims to be sharing the halo lore with people, yet he tries to justify halo :reach and other plots holes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the flood was an interesting read for me because we caught a glimpse as to what it's like to be part of the flood. Very creepy the first time i heard it (I have the audiobooks).

The Fall of Reach and First Strike are both top notch halo novels. Ghosts of Onyx was good also. I will have to agree on the books by Karen Travis that they aren't great. The story really seemed to drag. Maybe it was because I listened to the audiobook version and had a hard time understanding someone reading with a heavy accent. I only listened to Glasslands and never moved forward.

I wish Eric Nylund would write more Halo books, his were definitely the best in the series. I probably read his books every 2 years or so.

With Halo: The Flood, I pretty much used that as a strategy guide when I played through it with a friend lol. I've read Cole Protocol, Contact Harvest, and Glasslands. They were just okay

Whats everyones opinion on the The Forerunner Saga? Is it worth reading at all?

I liked Cole Protocol, Contact Harvest, and Ghosts of Onyx as well as the original trio. Haven't read any of the others so can't really comment if they're good.

My ratings of the books in order of continuity:
Halo: Contact Harvest: Enjoyable read, but a little too long for my attention span, causing me to stop reading it towards the end. 7/10
Halo: Cole Protocol: Pretty much introducing the mark V armor everyone loves so much, it was a profesionally written novel covering some very cool and interesting things in the halo universe as well as giving us more time with fan favorite Jacob Keyes. overall, 8/10
Halo: Fall of Reach: This book gave us Halo. Yes I know, the game is what we have in our nastalgia spot for Halo's beginning, but this book gave us the story that would evolve into this incredible expanded universe and sequel games. That said, It was stuffed up with so much needed backstory, information and development it wasn't the most enjoyable. Most people I know who have tried starting out with reading this book usually end up not reading any. I give it an 8/10 mostly based on its quality considering the time Nylund had to write it.
Halo: the Flood:Being my first attempt to read a halo novel, I only read the prologue and the first chapter and lost interest :p -/10
Halo: First Strike: By far my favorite of the series. This book seamlessly connects the stories of fall of reach, combat evolved, and halo 2 with intricate detail, action, and character development. This novel was a fun read and layed the framework for halo 2 and so on. 10/10
Halo: Ghosts of onyx: The first Halo book I ever read to completion (yup, I read the Nylund trilogy backwards XD) IT wraped me in this universe that ran parrallel with one of my favorite games and helped explain so much. It was the first book since the 7th harry potter book that I just couldn't put down (and got in trouble in school because of it) With the plot and character development as stellar as is expected from Nylund, I give it a good 9/10, falling just short due to some slightly ended-too-soon characters and events.

Halo: glasslands: Although her first time, Travis did a good job taking Nylund's characters and keeping their spirits and attitudes on key, and utilizing a not- yet-developed character as her way to convey their story as to not risk messing up a character. With that, we a dragged into the Oni sideline of the ONI-VS-Halsey fight and made to swallow the bitter truth that because we need more games, the end we fought so hard for in halo 3 had to be F'ed up by the a-Holes over at ONI and use uninformed characters that we ( well, at least I) want to like and watch them destroy what we fought for.
The civil war between the sanghelli, however, seemed 50/50 in the terms of realism. There was absolute proof the forerunners were not gods and that the prophets lied, yet somehow the highranking religious leaders are able to mass an army large enough to fight the Arbiter? Please. Although devotion to faith makes it plausible, with how popular the Arbiter was due to him almost single handidly liberating the elites, it is just absurd to assume that there would be anough opposition to make him go on the run
Overall, I give it a 5/10 for rushed character development and somewhat unrealistic plot progression. Also, Thanks for ruining the Onyx plotline by solving it so quickly and absurdly.

Halo: The Thursday War: Well, all hope of a Nylund esqe trilogy is gone with the onyx plotline ended. Now we are forced to endure painful plot progression in a direction no Nylund fan wants to see the story go down. The negativity and pressimism from all sides in this book makes you question if survivingthe war was worth all the BullC*** we have to go through now. That said, kudos to Travis for improving her character development, for what its worth. I like the ODSTs, I like Naomi, I even like phillips and BB, but wanting to like Osman is hard knowing what she becomes in halo 4 Spartan Ops. Overall I give it a 6.4/10

Halo: Mortal Dictata: Still reading, but so far I'm loving the insight into the insurgency and the humanizing of a Spartan whose war seems to be almost over. Intend to finish for the sake of Naomi. So far 7 or 8/10

The Forerunner saga: I don't want to know about the forerunners! Them being a mystery was one of the best parts about halo! thanks 343 for shoving a backstory we didn't want down our throats! Ok that rants over.

These are based purely on the opinion of a devouted halo fan, the kind who swtill to this day makes sure his ammo count for his weapons match the ones in the first strike at the end of combat evolved.

I wish Eric Nylund would write more Halo books, his were definitely the best in the series. I probably read his books every 2 years or so.

With Halo: The Flood, I pretty much used that as a strategy guide when I played through it with a friend lol. I've read Cole Protocol, Contact Harvest, and Glasslands. They were just okay

Whats everyones opinion on the The Forerunner Saga? Is it worth reading at all?

I found the forerunner saga very informing especially with Halo 4 game play and some of the books leading up to that point. It explains a lot about the flood and the sparks as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back