Noob question: How long did it take you to build your armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokenwhiteguy

Been reading the forum for months learning the process to make my own armor. Thought it would be fun for my son and I to make ourselves each an armor set. My biggest question is how long should I expect to work on my armor from start to completion?

Depending on the level of skill, how detailed you wish to make it, and how much of a perfectionist you are, the answer to that question can be as short as a few months, to over a year.

Depending on the level of skill, how detailed you wish to make it, and how much of a perfectionist you are, the answer to that question can be as short as a few months, to over a year.
Aside from this response, it also depends on what method you go with.......whether you build it with full pepakura OR if you decide to go the foam route. If you're able to figure it all out, foam can be a little quicker. :)

Aside from this response, it also depends on what method you go with.......whether you build it with full pepakura OR if you decide to go the foam route. If you're able to figure it all out, foam can be a little quicker. :)

I second this. Even just gathering all of the tools, materials, and safety equipment required for a pepakura build is fairly time consuming. Foam supplies seem (at least in my neck of the woods) to be sourced fairly quickly without to mush searching. PLUS, there is a handy thread that list out all of the supplies you would need.

I am not sure about foam, but pepakura takes TIME. You have to highlight the folds, score the folds, cut the pieces, assemble the pepakura, harden the pepakura, reinforce the inside, bondo the outside, sand the living *bleep* out of it, and then paint it.

If you want fast I suggest foam. I really like taking my time with big projects and literally pouring my soul into it, so I am doing pepakura. I am figuring four hours per day for a year to get my Halo 4 suits done (with undersuit and some other gadgets).

It all depends on how much time you have in the day to work on these projects as I'm sure most of us have jobs

So far i've build my foam H4 MC bicep, forearm and shoulder pieces(each side) and that took me 2 months just because I work, go to school and my personal errands. I have friends that have built foam suits in just 4 days. So it varies. I could only suggest is to do your research, dont be afraid to make mistakes because it will happen, keep on trucking and you'll be happy with the final result.

Time aside for college: 4 years
Time spent planning how I want to make my armor: 1 year
Well... I've made it that far.

Actually bought some supplies yesterday!

Time aside for college: 4 years
Time spent planning how I want to make my armor: 1 year
Well... I've made it that far.

Actually bought some supplies yesterday!

Looking forward to seeing your progress then.

I also agree with every one. I started my project a few weeks ago and it all depends on how much time you have. Mine is taking some time with school and work full time.

Thanks, for every one posting. Definitely want to go the pep route. Would everyone do one section at a time or pep do everything at the same stage ie pep all, resin/bondo all, paint all...

My master chief halo 3 took over 200 hours I would say, but I did not exactly count. Also, I rushed it and I should have done it way better. It's fiberglass/bondo btw. I wonder how long it takes with foam instead..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back