Halo 3 ODST foam armor build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runtleader198

Hey guys!
so i`ve made a few costumes before but i`ve never made a set of armor let alone made a set out of foam. so here goes nothing. i am attempting to make Halo 3 ODST armor set.

halo3_odst-buck.jpg

this costume is for my little brother, who is amazing, and I`m hoping that with what i have done so far that i will have this costume done by Halloween 2014. if not well, we will be ready for com-icon 2015!! hopefully i`ll have some more updates and ill post pics of what i have already done soon.

Feel free to leave any comments or tips you may have. all is appreciated thanks guys. Keep up the awesomeness!! :D

I am actually in the middle of an ODST foam build myself. Haven't made a thread on it though. If you have any questions on how pieces go together or anything else I would be glad to help you. Just shoot me a PM whenever.:) Good luck!

**Update**
Ok so here are some pics of what i did already.

We pretty much just free handed the torso section. i had to try to scale it roughly with paper to get an idea on sizing.

PICT0007.JPG PICT0008.JPG

PICT0009.JPGPICT0010.JPG

its hard though when your model won`t stay still.:rolleyes

IMG_20140824_212652.jpg
This is what we are using for the under suit. i`m really glad that i didn`t have to sew my brother a custom under suit. I`m already working out some issues with my custom under suit so one less thing to worry a bought.

ok thats it for now more to come soon. Keep up the awesomeness!:D

PICT0007.JPG

PICT0008.JPG

PICT0009.JPG

PICT0010.JPG

IMG_20140824_212652.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good! Are you going to do this build free-hand or use pepakura templates?

thanks! this first part, in the pictures, was done free hand but i am using some pepakura templates for the arms legs and helmet.

**Update**

ok so between my two jobs, school and life i found some time to do a little more on the costume.
i was able to get started on some of the foam work

PICT0095.JPG PICT0098.JPG
PICT0096.JPG PICT0099.JPG
PICT0104.JPG PICT0108.JPG
PICT0109.JPG

i wanted to start with something small so i started with the hip plate and moved on to the ab plate

PICT0106.JPG PICT0108 (2).JPG

the torso is almost finished and i already have the base of the back done

PICT0101.JPG PICT0103.JPG
PICT0112.JPG PICT0110.JPG
PICT0111.JPG IMG_20140824_214643.jpg

Ok well im tired so... thats all for tonight. ill have some more soon.

PICT0095.JPG

PICT0098.JPG

PICT0096.JPG

PICT0099.JPG

PICT0104.JPG

PICT0108.JPG

PICT0109.JPG

PICT0106.JPG

PICT0108 (2).JPG

PICT0101.JPG

PICT0103.JPG

PICT0112.JPG

PICT0110.JPG

PICT0111.JPG

IMG_20140824_214643.jpg

Looking good! At this rate you should be done in no time. Excited to see your bros reaction to the completed armor !

So many good looking ODST builds going on! I've said this on another thread somewhere, but it seems like this is the year of the ODST.

So many good looking ODST builds going on! I've said this on another thread somewhere, but it seems like this is the year of the ODST.

Totally agree, not sure i want to build mine now lol

@runt leader, keep up the good work :)

Looking good! At this rate you should be done in no time. Excited to see your bros reaction to the completed armor !
thanks! he is already asking me when we will start painting :p it will still be a little while till i start painting

Totally agree, not sure i want to build mine now lol

@runt leader, keep up the good work :)
thanks guys! I have been seeing a lot of ODST`s lately.

**UPDATE**

OK guys im so sorry it took so long for me to post some updates but here we go.
i didn't get a whole lot done in the last two weeks but i have today off of both of my jobs so i m may have some more stuff posted later today.

im so happy that i got both shoulders done and out of the way. i was actually pleasantly surprised at how well they turned out.

PICT0115.JPG PICT0116.JPG
PICT0121.JPG

anyways my brother was begging me to make a combat knife so here is what we came up with.

halo.jpg Combat_Knife.png
PICT0120.JPG

i also got started on the gauntlets and one of the elbows

PICT0122.JPG PICT0123.JPG
PICT0124.JPG PICT0125.JPG

so i was looking through some forms that give tips on foam. i know it has been said that you shouldn't sand foam unless you want it to start fraying. regardless i used a belt sander on the foam pieces and it actually turned out great:D

oh i was looking at what i`ve made so far and i realized that i totally skipped over the belt plate and the butt plate. well i guess i will do those next and finish up some details on the back then start on the legs.

so i have a question for you guys. when i start to cover my pieces in plasti dip do i also spray the inside (or the back) of the piece or do i leave it uncovered? im just worried about it pealing off so if you have any suggestions please let me know what you think.

alright that's about it for now thanks:)

P.S. im sorry for the pics being so small. i haven't figured out how to make them be bigger in the actual post. any one know how?:confused

PICT0115.JPG

PICT0116.JPG

PICT0121.JPG

PICT0120.JPG

PICT0122.JPG

PICT0123.JPG

PICT0124.JPG

PICT0125.JPG

halo.jpg

Combat_Knife.png

oh i was looking at what i`ve made so far and i realized that i totally skipped over the belt plate and the butt plate. well i guess i will do those next and finish up some details on the back then start on the legs.

so i have a question for you guys. when i start to cover my pieces in plasti dip do i also spray the inside (or the back) of the piece or do i leave it uncovered? im just worried about it pealing off so if you have any suggestions please let me know what you think.

alright that's about it for now thanks:)

P.S. im sorry for the pics being so small. i haven't figured out how to make them be bigger in the actual post. any one know how?:confused

Nice update! I totally do what I marked in red all the time. Start working then realize I skipped something hahahah.
About the platidip, I normally don't do the backs in plastidip and haven't had a problem with peeling at all. I normally do plastidip the edges of the pieces, but not the back. The backs I just paint black. The layer of paint over the plastidip would help keep the plastidip from peeling, but I've done some pretty rough stuff to my foam armor and it hasn't peeled.

If you are worried about your pics, try using a website called photobucket. You upload your pics from there, then you can use the insert image option here and it'll put them straight into the post and not just as an attachment. Go check out my threads and you can see what I'm talking about. If you have any questions about it, shoot me a message or something
Keep up the good work!

I know what you mean out of the five odst suits I've got they all need those but I never have the time.

**UPDATE**

alright guys we're back!! :D its been a long and rough three weeks. Between work and school ive been slammed and pressed for time.:wacko
it also dosn't help that i have to finish a costume for my self (im going as batwoman for halloween, its 40% done though! yay!)
so anyways here is a long over due update

ok so where to begin... i managed to finish the gauntlets. I put on the elbows and added some small detailing (scratches & battle scars)
partialy to cover up a mistake. oh well it looks really cool

PICT9997.JPG***PICT9995.JPG

i did finally get back around to the front a back plates that i accidentally skipped over

PICT0001.JPG

looking at the back of the suit i thought it looked very boring so i added details to that as well.

PICT0019.JPG

when my brother came home from his friends house and saw all the colors on it he gave me a sorta funny look
and then asked "so whats with that? it looks like a unicorn threw up on it, just with out all the glitter and stuff" :lol i laughed way to hard at that.
i figured it will be plastidiped and painted anyways.

ok next order of business, the legs

i started by looking at a picture of the thighs and use my brother as a model to sketch out a pattern for it. i originally was going to use pep files but free handing it was faster. we also did the piece that raps around the back of the leg.

PICT0009.JPG***PICT0011.JPG

PICT0012.JPG***PICT0014.JPG

shaping these things though was a pain in the butt. it took several times heating and forming with the heat gun and a couple of trips to the freezer to cool it quickly (brothers idea) worked out alright though.

last but not least the shins.

we pretty much did the same thing we did with the thighs as far as how we drew it up.

PICT0017.JPG

i haven't attached the back yet because i still have to figure out how the straps will go in

so excited i started plastidiping a few pieces. i did 4 coats on the shoulders and i think that should be enough layers.

PICT0022.JPG
sorry if this last pic is not very good. i didnt have the best lighting and its hard enough as it is to get a picture of semi glossy finishes.

well im off of work so i should, this time, actually have some new pics up tomorrow of the suit mostly assembled.

so ill leave it at that before i fall asleep at the computer:sleep. keep up the awesomeness.:cool

PICT9995.JPG

PICT9997.JPG

PICT0001.JPG

PICT0019.JPG

PICT0009.JPG

PICT0011.JPG

PICT0012.JPG

PICT0014.JPG

PICT0017.JPG

PICT0022.JPG

Looking sharp. Looks very clean and well done. Keep it up.

Nice update! I totally do what I marked in red all the time. Start working then realize I skipped something hahahah.
About the platidip, I normally don't do the backs in plastidip and haven't had a problem with peeling at all. I normally do plastidip the edges of the pieces, but not the back. The backs I just paint black. The layer of paint over the plastidip would help keep the plastidip from peeling, but I've done some pretty rough stuff to my foam armor and it hasn't peeled.

If you are worried about your pics, try using a website called photobucket. You upload your pics from there, then you can use the insert image option here and it'll put them straight into the post and not just as an attachment. Go check out my threads and you can see what I'm talking about. If you have any questions about it, shoot me a message or something
Keep up the good work!

Some great advice. I just assumed plastic dip everything. :p.

And Runt Leader@ Those shoulders and gauntlets looks very sharp and clean. For your first time working with foam that's fantastic. I aspire to have such clean work. And who doesn't like a undercover flamboyant ODST. Love how you used all kinds of foam.

Like your bro....I can't wait to see you paint!

Nice built. I love to see how your skills expand and your Gauntlets look really nice! Can't wait to see some updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back